The Chartered Institute for Archaeologists (CIfA) and University Archaeology UK (UAUK) have announced three further departments offering academic programmes which have been formally accredited as providing skills relevant to a career in the historic environment.
These are: University of Bristol – BA Archaeology & Anthropology; University of Cambridge – BA (Honours) in Archaeology; and University of Canterbury Christchurch – pathway through BA Archaeology. They join the universities already offering accredited programmes, making fifteen in total, and a list can be found here.
Further applications are currently being assessed and newly accredited programmes will be announced in due course. The next application deadline is 1 June 2022, see here for details.
Students in England, Northern Ireland and Scotland now have the opportunity to choose a degree programme that will support them to develop a career in the historic environment.
The accreditation was developed to provide a career route for the historic environment as well as fostering strong relations between industry and academia.
Chris Gerrard, Chair of University Archaeology UK (UAUK) said “Accreditation is an exciting new initiative for students taking archaeology courses at universities and for the profession more widely. It recognises the value of real knowledge of working practices across the sector by students across the UK.”
|“We are delighted to achieve CIfA accreditation for our BA Archaeology and Anthropology. Accreditation confirms quality of the professional training and skills we provide our students that enables them to successfully obtain competitive discipline-related jobs directly upon graduation”|
|Department of anthropology and archaeology, University of Bristol|
|“The Department of Archaeology is delighted to have received accreditation for its undergraduate single honours Archaeology course from the Charted Institute for Archaeologists. This recognises the strength and breadth of the practical and developmental teaching across all papers of the new Archaeology Degree at Cambridge.”|
|Department of archaeology, University of Cambridge|
|“Our programme team are delighted to have received accreditation. We look forward to strengthening our relationship with CIfA and seeing our students continue to develop their academic and professional skills’”|
|Archaeology, Canterbury Christ Church University|
Degrees accredited by CIfA/UAUK
- Bournemouth University BSc (Hons) Archaeology , BA (Hons) Archaeology, BSc (Hons) Archaeological Anthropological and Forensic Sciences, BA (Hons) Archaeology and Anthropology
- Queen’s University Belfast CIfA/UAUK-accredited module pathway in Archaeology
- University of Aberdeen BSc Archaeology, MA Archaeology
- University of Bradford BSc Archaeology, BSc Forensic Archaeology & Anthropology
- University of Central Lancashire BSc in Archaeology, MSci in Archaeology, BSc in Archaeology and Anthropology
- University of Chester BA Archaeology
- University College London BA Archaeology, BA Archaeology and Anthropology, BA Archaeology with a Year Abroad (4 year), BA Archaeology with a Year’s Placement (4 year), BA Archaeology of Egypt and Sudan, BA Classical Archaeology and Classical Civilization, BSc Archaeology
- University of Durham BA Archaeology, BSc Archaeology, BA Archaeology and Ancient Civilisations,BA Archaeology and Historical World
- University of Leicester BSc Archaeology
- University of Reading BA Archaeology, BSc Archaeology
- University of Winchester BA Archaeology, BSc Archaeology, BSc Archaeological Practice, BSc Archaeological Practice with Professional Placement
- University of York Core modules pathway through BA Archaeology, BSc Archaeology, BA Archaeology & Heritage, BA Historical Archaeology, BSc Bioarchaeology, BA Archaeology (with a Year Abroad), BSc Archaeology (with a Year Abroad), BA Archaeology & Heritage (with a Year Abroad). BA Historical Archaeology (with a Year Abroad), BSc Bioarchaeology (with a Year Abroad).