The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined array key "avatartype" - Line: 783 - File: global.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 783 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php 26 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined array key "avatartype" - Line: 783 - File: global.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 783 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined variable $awaitingusers - Line: 34 - File: global.php(844) : eval()'d code PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php(844) : eval()'d code 34 errorHandler->error
/global.php 844 eval
Warning [2] Undefined array key "style" - Line: 909 - File: global.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 909 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$lang_select_default - Line: 5010 - File: inc/functions.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions.php 5010 errorHandler->error
/global.php 909 build_theme_select
Warning [2] Undefined array key "additionalgroups" - Line: 7045 - File: inc/functions.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions.php 7045 errorHandler->error
/inc/functions.php 5030 is_member
/global.php 909 build_theme_select
Warning [2] Undefined array key "mybb" - Line: 1938 - File: inc/functions.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions.php 1938 errorHandler->error
/inc/functions_indicators.php 41 my_set_array_cookie
/showthread.php 629 mark_thread_read
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$ratings_update_error - Line: 5 - File: showthread.php(732) : eval()'d code PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/showthread.php(732) : eval()'d code 5 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php 732 eval
Warning [2] Undefined array key "additionalgroups" - Line: 7045 - File: inc/functions.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions_user.php 837 is_member
/inc/functions_post.php 406 purgespammer_show
/showthread.php 1070 build_postbit
Warning [2] Undefined array key "profilefield" - Line: 6 - File: inc/functions_post.php(474) : eval()'d code PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions_post.php(474) : eval()'d code 6 errorHandler->error
/inc/functions_post.php 474 eval
Warning [2] Undefined array key "canonlyreplyownthreads" - Line: 660 - File: inc/functions_post.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions_post.php 660 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 741 - File: inc/functions_post.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions_post.php 741 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 746 - File: inc/functions_post.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions_post.php 746 errorHandler->error
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key "profilefield" - Line: 6 - File: inc/functions_post.php(474) : eval()'d code PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key "canonlyreplyownthreads" - Line: 660 - File: inc/functions_post.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 741 - File: inc/functions_post.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 746 - File: inc/functions_post.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key "canonlyviewownthreads" - Line: 1081 - File: showthread.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/showthread.php 1081 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "threadprefix" - Line: 4 - File: showthread.php(1168) : eval()'d code PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/showthread.php(1168) : eval()'d code 4 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php 1168 eval
Warning [2] Undefined array key "threadprefix" - Line: 4 - File: showthread.php(1168) : eval()'d code PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key "invisible" - Line: 1506 - File: showthread.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/showthread.php 1506 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined variable $threadnotesbox - Line: 30 - File: showthread.php(1533) : eval()'d code PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/showthread.php(1533) : eval()'d code 30 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php 1533 eval
Warning [2] Undefined variable $addremovesubscription - Line: 79 - File: showthread.php(1533) : eval()'d code PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/showthread.php(1533) : eval()'d code 79 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php 1533 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Academic vs. professional - progress!
Real Job,

I too struggled to think of any practical examples of changes in field practice as influenced by theory.

I also strongly disagreed with his suggestion that field archaeologists aim for neutral recording. I certainly don't. It would be like throwing away the years of experience that my colleagues and I have accrued to even try for a 'neutral' recording.

It brings to mind an argument I once had with some German archs who insisted that recording should be detailed and objective (colour pencils for section drawings!), but with not a jot of interpretation in it. Great for student archs I suppose, but a complete waste of experience otherwise.
I would argue (not the full half-hour though) that no site is objective. For one thing, it is a subjective decision to define a site in the first place. Then everything you record, or more importantly select not to record, is the result of a theoretical decision. Certainly the concept of stratigraphy altered the theoretical approach to fieldwork, and I suggest that the concept of commercial archaeology has also. As a completely different set of judgements is made, by a different process to that previously, as to whether to excavate, where and how much to excavate.

We owe the dead nothing but the truth.
Invisible, I agree there are a whole new set of factors influencing the way archaeology is done related to commercial archaeology and that neutrality is impossible, but I don't think Bradley means that - he suggests that our basic techniques should be theory driven. I can only think of two ways in which 'theory' could influence field techniques, depending on what he (and others) mean by theory:

1) Someone come up with a new theory about the use of, say, SFBs in which it becomes vitally important to record the nature of the fills.
Depending on the level of detail they want, either a) its covered by our existing suite of techniques, or b) it isn't possible. As long as we (field archaeologists) know about this change in theory, we can make sure that we record in sufficient detail. I would suggest that such new theories, i.e., ones that can be directly examined on site, are few and far between and that usually we do change our techniques to deal with them (e.g., the careful, three dimensional recording of possible 'structured deposits' in prehistoric pits).

2) It becomes (again/still?) fashionable to discuss the way that features of archaeological sites would have structured individuals' response to these sites in antiquity (or some such).
In this case, the records we produce should be up to the task (plans showing position of features, and dating and phasing of said features) even if such issues are not tackled directly in the report. Short of recording our emotional response to each post hole, I'm not sure what else could be done! These kinds of shift in theory can't cause a change in fieldwork.

If he means the former kind of instance, then I think he is overstating the crisis (I'm not saying there is no problem - the issue of communication between the university and the trowel face is real)and anyway it doesn't call for a radical shift in technique, but if, as I suspect, he means the latter, then I am still in the dark.
Did anyone work on the framework projects at heathrow? I understand that the methodology was driven by new theoretical concerns and involved 'front-loading' the on site aspect of the project, including on site access to the material as it was processed and interpreted. Be good to hear from someone who experienced this-was it effective and did it differ substantially from conventional practice?
I am not sure that archaeologists aim for 'neutral recording', nor indeed should they. However the modern system of stratigraphic recording emerged in the 1970s as a response to (ultimately flawed) attempts to develop a 'rational' and 'scientific' approach to archaeology and is part and parcel of all that. It works because it does enable 'raw' data to be isolated to some extent and assessed using different theoretical criteria than those employed on the original project.

The real issue is the subjective experience of the staff filling in the forms - two people excavating the same layer on different days can produce quite different context sheets, resulting in potentially different interpretations of the site.

I am not however sure that commercial archaeology actually makes the decisions about where, what, when to excavate any different. Even Pitt-Rivers had time limits and a funding limit. I agree though that these constraints are now a bit more sharply felt. Arguably commercial archaeology has refined things like the notion of representative sampling.

I too would be interested to hear from anyone who worked on the frameworks project. I have my own views but they are not informed by direct experience of that project, only by previous encounters with those responsible for designing it.

http://ironbridge.blogspot.com

On the subject of wherther the interaction between the individual archaeologist and the archaeological resource is subjective or objective, can I highly recommend Matt Edgeworth's PhD dissertation 'Acts of Discovery' available online at

http://traumwerk.stanford.edu:3455/MetaMedia/468

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Contninuing Professional Development Log Wax 19 14,927 10th January 2014, 02:03 PM
Last Post: Dinosaur
  IfA and the Royal Charter - update on progress kevin wooldridge 91 42,169 19th July 2013, 10:44 PM
Last Post: Unitof1
  academia and professional archaeology through the prism of environmental work BAJR 1 2,004 12th April 2013, 02:09 PM
Last Post: BAJR
  professional Drawing Roll BAJR 21 11,552 30th July 2012, 09:48 PM
Last Post: CARTOON REALITY
  Piece on Academic papers RedEarth 11 7,140 7th September 2011, 10:27 PM
Last Post: Martin Locock
  Museums: Bridging the gap in PPS5? - Contract and Academic Archaeology gwyl 10 7,095 3rd December 2010, 07:26 PM
  Viewpoint - Get Professional Help BAJR 74 36,846 22nd March 2010, 05:58 PM
Last Post: ecmgardner
  English Heritage Professional Placements BAJR 1 1,618 2nd March 2010, 05:33 PM
  English Heritage Professional Placements in Conservation BAJR 1 1,308 25th February 2010, 02:30 PM
  Continued Professional Training for Ceramic Archaeologists BAJR Host 2 1,972 12th November 2009, 11:55 PM
Last Post: Unitof1