The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined array key "avatartype" - Line: 783 - File: global.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 783 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php 26 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined array key "avatartype" - Line: 783 - File: global.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 783 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined variable $awaitingusers - Line: 34 - File: global.php(844) : eval()'d code PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php(844) : eval()'d code 34 errorHandler->error
/global.php 844 eval
Warning [2] Undefined array key "style" - Line: 909 - File: global.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 909 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$lang_select_default - Line: 5010 - File: inc/functions.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions.php 5010 errorHandler->error
/global.php 909 build_theme_select
Warning [2] Undefined array key "additionalgroups" - Line: 7045 - File: inc/functions.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions.php 7045 errorHandler->error
/inc/functions.php 5030 is_member
/global.php 909 build_theme_select
Warning [2] Undefined array key "mybb" - Line: 1938 - File: inc/functions.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions.php 1938 errorHandler->error
/inc/functions_indicators.php 41 my_set_array_cookie
/showthread.php 629 mark_thread_read
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$ratings_update_error - Line: 5 - File: showthread.php(732) : eval()'d code PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/showthread.php(732) : eval()'d code 5 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php 732 eval
Warning [2] Undefined array key "additionalgroups" - Line: 7045 - File: inc/functions.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions_user.php 837 is_member
/inc/functions_post.php 406 purgespammer_show
/showthread.php 1070 build_postbit
Warning [2] Undefined array key "profilefield" - Line: 6 - File: inc/functions_post.php(474) : eval()'d code PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions_post.php(474) : eval()'d code 6 errorHandler->error
/inc/functions_post.php 474 eval
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 741 - File: inc/functions_post.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions_post.php 741 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 746 - File: inc/functions_post.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions_post.php 746 errorHandler->error
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key "profilefield" - Line: 6 - File: inc/functions_post.php(474) : eval()'d code PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 741 - File: inc/functions_post.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 746 - File: inc/functions_post.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key "canonlyviewownthreads" - Line: 1081 - File: showthread.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/showthread.php 1081 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "threadprefix" - Line: 4 - File: showthread.php(1168) : eval()'d code PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/showthread.php(1168) : eval()'d code 4 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php 1168 eval
Warning [2] Undefined array key "threadprefix" - Line: 4 - File: showthread.php(1168) : eval()'d code PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key "invisible" - Line: 1506 - File: showthread.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/showthread.php 1506 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined variable $threadnotesbox - Line: 30 - File: showthread.php(1533) : eval()'d code PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/showthread.php(1533) : eval()'d code 30 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php 1533 eval
Warning [2] Undefined variable $addremovesubscription - Line: 79 - File: showthread.php(1533) : eval()'d code PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/showthread.php(1533) : eval()'d code 79 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php 1533 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Diggers Time?
Inviz- I am with a County Coucil Unit with our offices on a Uni campus. Still commercially based but with further remits to involve the public in their Counties heritage.
Blimey, talk about a foot in every camp! If asked if you are in the Commercial, Public or Education sector you can just say yes!Big Grin

But that's the aspect I'm not sure about, the use of unpaid staff by a council based outfit, who thus (perhaps) gain a commercial advantage over purely commercial firms. I'm positive it's not done with evil or malicuous intent I hasten to add, but purely with the best and most laudable intentions, but is there a by-product, as it were? But it's been discussed here a number of times before and is not really the subject of this thread, sorry guys.

We owe the dead nothing but the truth.
Possibly right Beasley as one of the less experieced diggers where I am currently working less experienced are more in predominence, which I think can be a b it of problem as some of us are just out of uni and fieldwork experinence varies greatly coming out.
Butr from what I have gathered it has been a growing problem as experienced diggers seem to leave and there not being enough to pass on expertise to others.
A problem I fear will grow as universities become more and more theoretical.

For me I wa told I would be fully trained with only 4 WEEKS of field work after Uni, I have done in total about 9 months and was still lacking in skills and getting that experiece was done of my own back.

Definatly a growing problem.

Orkynowot

May god go with you in all the dark places you must walk.
Digger,

The Uni I went to had a unit and could not take on volenteers for insurance reasons.

Would have loved to have got more experience working with a unit.

Though the Uni I was at is starting a fieldwork master the unit will not be involved for insurance reasons!!!!!

Orkynowot.

May god go with you in all the dark places you must walk.
The college I went to ran some truly awful digs, one lecturer, albeit a part timer, was using student labour to do his research for his PHD!

deep
And, with the high cost of a degree to undergraduates, why exactly should they be used as cheap labour for someone elses research, I'm not suggesting that they don't need digging experience but, if they have to fully fund themselves, how are they going to be persuaded to do voluntary work as well as the intense workload of a degree and keep down a job to pay for their course too?
Tory suggestions on the back of a postage stamp please!!

deep
Quote:quote:Originally posted by deepdigger

And, with the high cost of a degree to undergraduates, why exactly should they be used as cheap labour for someone elses research, I'm not suggesting that they don't need digging experience but, if they have to fully fund themselves, how are they going to be persuaded to do voluntary work as well as the intense workload of a degree and keep down a job to pay for their course too?
Tory suggestions on the back of a postage stamp please!!

deep

I was once told that the course I am doing is the most expensive in the country. In addition to high living costs, not being alowed a job during term time as university policy forbids it, we need to do 5 weeks of compulsary digging in the summer which we have to fund ourselves.
And yes often enough most of the digs we would end up going on would be accompanying accademics from the uni to whatever summer dig they were running. I dont begrudge this bit too much as in the end it did give us opportunities to dig in a variety of countries and for a much lower price than a normal training dig. The dig I ended up on, although not being an example of great archaeology (Q.professor what about all those layers above the cemetery?... A.What about them?), was free apart from living costs and transport out to Georgia.
And to be honest I would like the uni to enforce more than 5 weeks of digging for a 3 year degree, but with the current cost situation it would be grossly unfair on most of the students. In the end it comes down to the few who can either afford it or who are seriously motivated enough to go out and find additional digs whenever they can.
I found when I was at uni the careers advice service were useless when it came to archaeology students. They either didn't have a clue or had useless advice. They seem to be set up for people who want to go into business or computers or something... We had a few recent graduates turn up last year expecting to have office jobs and were shocked when given a shovel.
When I was at uni we had to do six weeks on training digs, but you could do more, and it was free bar living expenses. They also accepted volunteers from the local community (as long as they sorted out their own insurance).
Having said that I went to a small department and out of the twenty in my year I think only about six of us are still in the field

Lucy
It's a whole different world isn't it?
When I was doing a Computer Science degree back in the '80s there was a requirement for practical experience in industry in the form of a sandwich year:- this was paid and the wages ranged from (remember this is the '80s) ?7000 to ?35000*....

But over in the wonderful world of archaeology the undergrads are expected to be grateful that they are allowed to work for nothing on their lecturer's research digs, some of which don't exactly teach them a whole load...

*If it's any consulation the guy that got this failed his degree as he had so much money he could afford to become an alcoholic at the age of 19...
Quote:quote:Originally posted by srd123

*If it's any consulation the guy that got this failed his degree as he had so much money he could afford to become an alcoholic at the age of 19...

Nope, thats no consulation at all...
I'm going to have to really love archaeology for this to work out. Or else become a male stripper at the weekends to make ends meet

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Diggers Forum. Anonymous Complaints. Crocodile 40 41,681 8th October 2015, 02:05 PM
Last Post: Sith
  Is the time right to sort out pay and conditions? drpeterwardle 53 34,698 28th October 2014, 02:47 PM
Last Post: P Prentice
  Hosty isn't it time that a few moderators were killed off Marc Berger 7 6,087 28th July 2014, 08:53 AM
  Nat Geo Nazi Diggers Show. BAJR 6 5,957 3rd April 2014, 10:29 AM
Last Post: BAJR
  Last Chance for teh Diggers Forum Session in London BAJR 1 2,471 28th October 2013, 11:31 PM
  Bizarre ditch question time. Tool 82 43,023 21st October 2013, 12:50 PM
Last Post: Jack
  MEDIEVAL LAND FUN-TIME WORLD" — A Bad Lip Reading of Game of Thrones BAJR 1 2,834 17th October 2013, 11:28 AM
  CSCS cards and IFA membership in job adverisements for diggers...what a laugh BigALtheDiggerman 55 42,607 13th August 2013, 02:17 PM
Last Post: Jack
  Diggers' Forum Survey on CPD and Training provision in UK Commercial Archaeology chiz 26 18,729 18th April 2013, 05:35 PM
Last Post: Dinosaur
  RIP Time Team, you were a national treasure BAJR 47 32,041 8th April 2013, 08:35 AM