The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined array key "avatartype" - Line: 783 - File: global.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 783 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php 26 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined array key "avatartype" - Line: 783 - File: global.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 783 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined variable $awaitingusers - Line: 34 - File: global.php(844) : eval()'d code PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php(844) : eval()'d code 34 errorHandler->error
/global.php 844 eval
Warning [2] Undefined array key "style" - Line: 909 - File: global.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 909 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$lang_select_default - Line: 5010 - File: inc/functions.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions.php 5010 errorHandler->error
/global.php 909 build_theme_select
Warning [2] Undefined array key "additionalgroups" - Line: 7045 - File: inc/functions.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions.php 7045 errorHandler->error
/inc/functions.php 5030 is_member
/global.php 909 build_theme_select
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$ratings_update_error - Line: 5 - File: showthread.php(732) : eval()'d code PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/showthread.php(732) : eval()'d code 5 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php 732 eval
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 741 - File: inc/functions_post.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions_post.php 741 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php 1070 build_postbit
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 746 - File: inc/functions_post.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions_post.php 746 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "useravatar" - Line: 6 - File: inc/functions_post.php(871) : eval()'d code PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions_post.php(871) : eval()'d code 6 errorHandler->error
/inc/functions_post.php 871 eval
Warning [2] Undefined array key "userstars" - Line: 11 - File: inc/functions_post.php(871) : eval()'d code PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions_post.php(871) : eval()'d code 11 errorHandler->error
/inc/functions_post.php 871 eval
Warning [2] Undefined array key "additionalgroups" - Line: 7045 - File: inc/functions.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions_user.php 837 is_member
/inc/functions_post.php 406 purgespammer_show
Warning [2] Undefined array key "profilefield" - Line: 6 - File: inc/functions_post.php(474) : eval()'d code PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions_post.php(474) : eval()'d code 6 errorHandler->error
/inc/functions_post.php 474 eval
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 741 - File: inc/functions_post.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 746 - File: inc/functions_post.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key "profilefield" - Line: 6 - File: inc/functions_post.php(474) : eval()'d code PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key "canonlyviewownthreads" - Line: 1081 - File: showthread.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/showthread.php 1081 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "invisible" - Line: 1506 - File: showthread.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/showthread.php 1506 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined variable $threadnotesbox - Line: 30 - File: showthread.php(1533) : eval()'d code PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/showthread.php(1533) : eval()'d code 30 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php 1533 eval
Warning [2] Undefined variable $addremovesubscription - Line: 79 - File: showthread.php(1533) : eval()'d code PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/showthread.php(1533) : eval()'d code 79 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php 1533 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dig Accomadation
Does anyone know whether units still provide accomadation? Back in the 'Good Old Days' before PPG16 a condemed house was always available...

It seems that with the 'Professionalising' of the industry this practise has gone out of the window..... Unfortunately, wages and long term contracts have not kept pace with the housing market Sad

What are your best/worst dig houses.... Mine has to be two condemed houses in the middle of sainsbury's carpark (canterbury). Overrun with rats sainsbury's, needless to say, hate all things associated with archaeologists and banned us from the store Big Grin
Would that be the crap house that was shown on that Canterbury Time Team? The one with one tiny sink that numerous people I have met remember as being a good example of how wonderful working conditions are in archaeology.
I think there is a move away from providing dig accommodation these days but some units will actually put you up in a B+B for the duration. Beats a tent in the Borders on a wild and woolly night in the autumn.

My own favourite dig accommodation was a couple of old farm cottages near Melrose; no carpets, rather run down, the roof was just about on and they did have running water. The site offices were downstairs where the site director's children were allowed to play on the computers and wipe the site records, amongst other things. I recently saw the same cottages advertised for sale for an extortionate sum. They looked quite nice once they had been done up.

Cheers,
Eggbasket

Don't have a stegosaurus, man.
Barring many months spent in tends, my worst was a garden shed in a hamlet near John O'Groats. I woke up there on the morning of my 21st birthday, to find frost settling on the outside of my sleeping-bag and snow outside - in September!

Mind you, that was a student training dig circa 1982 or 83. I have seen one or two other horrors (the traditional derelict house etc), but most of the digs I worked on used holiday cottages/chalets etc.

The tradition of providing accommodation dates back to the old pre-PPG16 days of 'volunteer' workforces coming from all over the country. Most units nowadays will assume that their staff can accommodate themselves if the site is within commuting distance of the unit's offices, but if not they ought to provide something better than the old dig hostels.

1man1desk

to let, fully furnished
It is still done, and like the Units that provide it the quality varies from quite good to "should be condemned!" This is one area where diggers can definitely make demands because there is a very limited pool of archaeologists willing to live away these days. They are not easily replaced, so have bargaining power when it comes to accomodation.
I really like the description of the dig and its accommodation in "The Ice King" (I think that's the correct title; can't remember the authors), a horror novel about archaeologists excavating undead Vikings. Top stuff and it contains a whole host of recognisable stereotypes, at least recognisable to us old farts.

Eggbasket

Don't have a stegosaurus, man.
I got brilliant acommodation recently, due to delayed starting dates for the dig and the client having more money than Croesus. Ensuite double rooms, wood floors, Sky telly, fully sorted out kitchen. Proper yuppy pad, I kid you not. Oh, and on wednesdays the maid would come and change your bed and towels. Seriously.

I have lived in delelict houses as well, so I made the most of this one, and brought my bird down for a dirty weekend at the clients expense.