The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined array key "avatartype" - Line: 783 - File: global.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 783 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php 26 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined array key "avatartype" - Line: 783 - File: global.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 783 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined variable $awaitingusers - Line: 34 - File: global.php(844) : eval()'d code PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php(844) : eval()'d code 34 errorHandler->error
/global.php 844 eval
Warning [2] Undefined array key "style" - Line: 909 - File: global.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 909 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$lang_select_default - Line: 5010 - File: inc/functions.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions.php 5010 errorHandler->error
/global.php 909 build_theme_select
Warning [2] Undefined array key "additionalgroups" - Line: 7045 - File: inc/functions.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions.php 7045 errorHandler->error
/inc/functions.php 5030 is_member
/global.php 909 build_theme_select
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$ratings_update_error - Line: 5 - File: showthread.php(732) : eval()'d code PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/showthread.php(732) : eval()'d code 5 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php 732 eval
Warning [2] Undefined array key "additionalgroups" - Line: 7045 - File: inc/functions.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions_user.php 837 is_member
/inc/functions_post.php 406 purgespammer_show
/showthread.php 1070 build_postbit
Warning [2] Undefined array key "profilefield" - Line: 6 - File: inc/functions_post.php(474) : eval()'d code PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions_post.php(474) : eval()'d code 6 errorHandler->error
/inc/functions_post.php 474 eval
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 741 - File: inc/functions_post.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions_post.php 741 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 746 - File: inc/functions_post.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions_post.php 746 errorHandler->error
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key "profilefield" - Line: 6 - File: inc/functions_post.php(474) : eval()'d code PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 741 - File: inc/functions_post.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 746 - File: inc/functions_post.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key "canonlyviewownthreads" - Line: 1081 - File: showthread.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/showthread.php 1081 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "invisible" - Line: 1506 - File: showthread.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/showthread.php 1506 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined variable $threadnotesbox - Line: 30 - File: showthread.php(1533) : eval()'d code PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/showthread.php(1533) : eval()'d code 30 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php 1533 eval
Warning [2] Undefined variable $addremovesubscription - Line: 79 - File: showthread.php(1533) : eval()'d code PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/showthread.php(1533) : eval()'d code 79 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php 1533 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
encouraging newbies and cynics
Yep, well said CK. But it takes a special type (emphasis on special) to get something out of this profession, and lets face it some just don't have it. Professional pride in being an [u]Archaeologist </u> is not going to suffice for everyone. A rewarding career almost anywhere else is probably a better bet for those who don't understand the intangible joys of this job. Balanced against the negatives of relatively poor pay and limited career structure my account is still firmly in the black. Those who don't GET IT will drift off, and that's as it should be.
Quote:quote: Sorry Troll mate, can't even think of what to tell them, still angry after reading what destroyer said on the last post.GRRRRR!

oops what have i done now...

anyway as regards this topic i'm in agreement with mercenary, generally you need a lot of determination and a bit of luck to stay the course. As i'm a rather grumpy cynical bastard i tend to fail on the encouragement front to the workforce, instead telling all the volunteers etc how tough its gonna be for them. If i dont put them off then they'll put up with anything - and those that are left will be seriously keen.

Many's the time i was/am highly disllusioned with the profession and my progress within it - but so far i've stuck it out because at the end of the day i love the job, which has been recognized by my small unit. We do have a small training budget, mainly for H&S, GIS or IT courses but generally keep our archaeogical training inhouse, and those who put the effort in are encouraged to expand their abilities.

Oddly enough i just met a friend of mine from my archaeology degree course who's now doing very well for himself as a Tescos manager.
Well, I had a similar crisis very soon after graduation, and went off to try to be a blacksmith for a year. That didn't go far, and then I went on a dig in Shetland (more for the chance to go to Shetland than any other reaso). It reminded me how much I loved archaeology, so that was me back on track - and I'm still here 20 years later.

As far as I can see, there are good career paths available for archaeologists nowadays, but only for a minority, especially if you want to stay in units for a whole career. It's still pretty ****ty, but much better than it was in the 1980s.

On training, the reality is that for any small business it can be difficult to sustain the loss of staff time and the direct costs. Few small businesses outside archaeology provide much training either. For the larger organisations, there should be no excuse.

1man1desk
I just found the following website and it's very enthusiastic and ecouraging:

http://www.fabjob.com/archaeology.asp

I can't say that I'll be rushing off a cheque to purchase a copy of the "FabJob Guide to Become an Archaeologist".

Sith

[8D]
Could be worse; fancy a job as a Tiger Urine Collector?

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20050908/od_...0908040736

Right, time to give the new boy the meat pants before putting him in the cage to milk the tiger ...

Don't have a stegosaurus, man.
Quote:quote:Originally posted by Sith

I just found the following website and it's very enthusiastic and ecouraging:

I like the idea of "A day in the life of an archaeologist" I bet it doesn't say anything like mine "...got up, went to work, read very bad desk-top assessment, wrote arsey letter to unit about bad desk-top, recommended some conditions on about 20% of the consultations I had to look at, sent the rest back with disinterest, answered 'phone, had a long discussion with a developer about why he "had to pay for this", read a boring consultation paper about planning from the Government, had yet another meeting about the department being reorganised, approved a WSI at the fifth attempt by e-mail, went home, fell asleep in front of the TV, went to bed, couldn't sleep, got up, had some gin, went back to bed."

Are anyone else's days quite this action-packed? What about you consultants?Smile
Tescos! When I first start XX years ago, the alternative profession was accountancy!!

Sign of the times I guess...
What do you say to an employed archaeologist?
Big mac and fries, please.

Well, it had to be said ... or maybe not.

Don't have a stegosaurus, man.