The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined array key "avatartype" - Line: 783 - File: global.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 783 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php 26 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined array key "avatartype" - Line: 783 - File: global.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 783 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined variable $awaitingusers - Line: 34 - File: global.php(844) : eval()'d code PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php(844) : eval()'d code 34 errorHandler->error
/global.php 844 eval
Warning [2] Undefined array key "style" - Line: 909 - File: global.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 909 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$lang_select_default - Line: 5010 - File: inc/functions.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions.php 5010 errorHandler->error
/global.php 909 build_theme_select
Warning [2] Undefined array key "additionalgroups" - Line: 7045 - File: inc/functions.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions.php 7045 errorHandler->error
/inc/functions.php 5030 is_member
/global.php 909 build_theme_select
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$ratings_update_error - Line: 5 - File: showthread.php(732) : eval()'d code PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/showthread.php(732) : eval()'d code 5 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php 732 eval
Warning [2] Undefined array key "additionalgroups" - Line: 7045 - File: inc/functions.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions_user.php 837 is_member
/inc/functions_post.php 406 purgespammer_show
/showthread.php 1070 build_postbit
Warning [2] Undefined array key "profilefield" - Line: 6 - File: inc/functions_post.php(474) : eval()'d code PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions_post.php(474) : eval()'d code 6 errorHandler->error
/inc/functions_post.php 474 eval
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 741 - File: inc/functions_post.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions_post.php 741 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 746 - File: inc/functions_post.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions_post.php 746 errorHandler->error
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key "profilefield" - Line: 6 - File: inc/functions_post.php(474) : eval()'d code PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 741 - File: inc/functions_post.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 746 - File: inc/functions_post.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key "canonlyviewownthreads" - Line: 1081 - File: showthread.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/showthread.php 1081 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "threadprefix" - Line: 4 - File: showthread.php(1168) : eval()'d code PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/showthread.php(1168) : eval()'d code 4 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php 1168 eval
Warning [2] Undefined array key "threadprefix" - Line: 4 - File: showthread.php(1168) : eval()'d code PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key "invisible" - Line: 1506 - File: showthread.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/showthread.php 1506 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined variable $threadnotesbox - Line: 30 - File: showthread.php(1533) : eval()'d code PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/showthread.php(1533) : eval()'d code 30 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php 1533 eval
Warning [2] Undefined variable $addremovesubscription - Line: 79 - File: showthread.php(1533) : eval()'d code PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/showthread.php(1533) : eval()'d code 79 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php 1533 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Detectorists Guide
vulpes is right... the guy is doing nothing more than making info available at a price that most people would get for free from the local SMR .... along with the local knowledge that goes with a local service and even a local studies centre....

UP TO HIM THOUGH...

I would love to see an SMR advertising in a detecting magazine ...
Big Grin

I do charge 50 quid an hour... but hey I am worth it... SMR is extra thoughWink[:I]

Soon the ADS will have a more comprehensive UK Historic Enviroment Record map based, database driven etc etc... and also stuff like the Historic Landscapes layers and also proper Aerial coverage... (though not scotland - sigh)

I would be interested about the Aerial Photos... where he gets them from... but as I say... he is doing nothing wrong...

Remember Detectorists should be welcomed - I am realy happy to work with them - more of this the better.. adn in fact the more we work together the more we will gain.

BAJR

Another day another WSI?
Maybe you're right. But you tend to get twitchy about where and how, and how widespread, information regarding archaeological sites is made available, when detectorists from all over the country have been known to organise to descend on a site in the middle of the night and wreck it, and where large chunks of said site are shovelled into wheelbarrows and the back of trucks to get taken away to be detected at leisure elsewhere. Happened down here...Sad
Agree with your anger there... but what you are looking at are not detectorists.. who are jsut as keen on history and learning about our past...

I have had sites attacked by theives as well... and these people are hated by us and detectorists too... (they are the equivalant to the crap archaeological contractor who trashes a site) they give everyone a bad name...

if this happens... talk to either the local group or people like Toddy in Falkirk.. (runs a detecting shop) or SARG (scottish Artefact Recovery Group) they are great people.. and are always willing to either help at sites, tell of new places... give advice about artefacts.. and ensure that nighthawks are caught... or at teh least.. stopped.. they do them no favours... and they are aware that these people make them look bad...

have a nice cuppa... its the end of the day!

(I have jsut had fun with a contractor who seems to be suggesting the same approach... shovel into back of a lorry and record off site!!

Smile

Another day another WSI?
I went to a conference in Shrewsbury a few years ago where one of the speakers who was digging a battlefield site was too afraid to tell us where the site was for fear of the "BA****ds".
I personally think this type of site really stinks, they are charging for something you can get for free anyway and they attract the vultures!
Ban em!!

deep
Speaking of battlefield sites, there is to be a detectorist rally at a well known northern Civil War battlefield soon. The organizers are apparently using all sorts of obstructive techniques, and the arch community is trying to mobilize enough archs to be present so that some of the finds are actually recorded. But that would mean buying tickets to this wretched event.

It's a very sad state of affairs.
Vulpes, I am only vaguely outraged by this site because I have more urgent matters to worry about, although it doesnt seem to be a very responsible way of imparting information. The problem I have in my area is MD's hiring a coach and driving 200 miles here for a days detecting loading stuff back in the coach and buggering off back home. Some of the sites detailed in this database are scheduled, some are on National Trust property some are part of management agreements. An SMR enquiry (?25)would highlight these constraints and also allow me to arrange for our FLO to attend (free of charge)and make the whole trip much more enjoyable and rewarding for everyone.We have a very good relationship with local MD clubs who are equally dismayed by the few who give them all a bad name.
Now that would be something to work on.... if the sites listed in the CDs of sites do not explain clearly the nature of the site... (ie... it is on NT land or is a SAM site) then they are failing to provide the full picture.

I might give the guy a friendly phone and ask some questions..

I stress that the phone call is friendly... as we must remember that like archaeology it is a few that give the many a bad name.

how we collectively deal with that is through cooperation between detectorists..archaeolgoists..local groups..farmers etc...

til later

Another day another WSI?
I have talked with the Aerial Photo companies, ADS, found out what the CBA thought... and I am waiting to hear back from some other sources. But as I say.... all he seems to be doing is selling what you could get for free...

Now of course... some people might not want to let the council archaeologist know they are looking at some places. I would like to know whether the information contained withing the CD lets you knwo that sites are protected or Scheduled or that sites in CSS are subject to control etc etc... I would also like to know why he can sell a 3m resolution county map for ?16 where I have to pay ?8 a square km... from teh same company....

also./.... I recomend the amazing site....
http://worldwind.arc.nasa.gov/

if you want aerial photos for free... check this out!

til later

}SmileIf you are concerned about metal detectorists trashing sites try this, it's fun. Simply collect a large number of small modern metallic objects such as ball-bearings, copper tacks, rolled-up aluminium foil, and throw them all over the site. If the site is private property you can go to the edge and use a ground-baiting catapult available from your local fishing store.
Big GrinI think metal detectorists are a bunch of xxxxxx and should stick to raking in skips.
Big GrinI think metal detectorists are a bunch of pikeys and should stick to raking in skips.
[/quote]

I find the use of the term 'pikey' offensive and would prefer that you didn't use it. I am guessing that you are ignorant of its derivation and the minority group it belittles. Have a thought for others mate....

Any chance of guidelines on derogatory terms, Hosty? I am guessing that you wouldn't allow the N-word to describe a certain minority group or the Q-word another. Why allow 'pikey' to slip through.

TROLL SAYS I`ve edited the original sender. Kevin however is quoting the author and questioning the validity of said authors terminology/sentiment/etc. Not edited Kevin as he is simply reporting the issue to the subscribers. Thankee koindly.Big Grin

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  CIfA Client guide published BAJR 44 29,834 6th July 2015, 11:44 AM
Last Post: Marc Berger
  A guide for Self-employed field archaeologists BAJR 4 5,982 25th April 2015, 07:37 AM
Last Post: Marc Berger
  Complete University Guide 2014 - Archaeology kevin wooldridge 2 3,704 14th May 2014, 03:00 PM
Last Post: pdurdin
  To metal detectorists, we're all a bunch of pinko commies :p - a pointless rant ZSilvia 21 13,604 27th February 2012, 06:25 PM
Last Post: ZSilvia
  Beginners' guide to digital archaeology Courses BAJR 1 2,159 16th December 2011, 02:17 PM
Last Post: BAJR
  DF guide to cold weather working sadie 29 19,227 7th January 2011, 05:58 PM
Last Post: Dinosaur
  BAJR Guide 29: An Introduction to archaeological fish remains BAJR Host 1 2,018 18th November 2009, 12:27 PM
Last Post: BAJR Host
  How To Get Involved In Archaeology Guide BAJR Host 4 3,002 22nd July 2009, 10:13 AM
Last Post: Talisien
  Guide for Self Employment BAJR Host 10 6,356 4th February 2009, 09:49 PM
Last Post: chiz
  Daily Mail - Guide to archaeology BAJR Host 25 12,459 20th November 2008, 01:59 PM
Last Post: kevin wooldridge