The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined array key "avatartype" - Line: 783 - File: global.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 783 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php 26 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined array key "avatartype" - Line: 783 - File: global.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 783 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined variable $awaitingusers - Line: 34 - File: global.php(844) : eval()'d code PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php(844) : eval()'d code 34 errorHandler->error
/global.php 844 eval
Warning [2] Undefined array key "style" - Line: 909 - File: global.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 909 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$lang_select_default - Line: 5010 - File: inc/functions.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions.php 5010 errorHandler->error
/global.php 909 build_theme_select
Warning [2] Undefined array key "additionalgroups" - Line: 7045 - File: inc/functions.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions.php 7045 errorHandler->error
/inc/functions.php 5030 is_member
/global.php 909 build_theme_select
Warning [2] Undefined array key "mybb" - Line: 1938 - File: inc/functions.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions.php 1938 errorHandler->error
/inc/functions_indicators.php 41 my_set_array_cookie
/showthread.php 629 mark_thread_read
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$ratings_update_error - Line: 5 - File: showthread.php(732) : eval()'d code PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/showthread.php(732) : eval()'d code 5 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php 732 eval
Warning [2] Undefined array key "additionalgroups" - Line: 7045 - File: inc/functions.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions_user.php 837 is_member
/inc/functions_post.php 406 purgespammer_show
/showthread.php 1070 build_postbit
Warning [2] Undefined array key "profilefield" - Line: 6 - File: inc/functions_post.php(474) : eval()'d code PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions_post.php(474) : eval()'d code 6 errorHandler->error
/inc/functions_post.php 474 eval
Warning [2] Undefined array key "canonlyreplyownthreads" - Line: 660 - File: inc/functions_post.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions_post.php 660 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 741 - File: inc/functions_post.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions_post.php 741 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 746 - File: inc/functions_post.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions_post.php 746 errorHandler->error
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key "profilefield" - Line: 6 - File: inc/functions_post.php(474) : eval()'d code PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key "canonlyreplyownthreads" - Line: 660 - File: inc/functions_post.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 741 - File: inc/functions_post.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 746 - File: inc/functions_post.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key "canonlyviewownthreads" - Line: 1081 - File: showthread.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/showthread.php 1081 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "invisible" - Line: 1506 - File: showthread.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/showthread.php 1506 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined variable $threadnotesbox - Line: 30 - File: showthread.php(1533) : eval()'d code PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/showthread.php(1533) : eval()'d code 30 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php 1533 eval
Warning [2] Undefined variable $addremovesubscription - Line: 79 - File: showthread.php(1533) : eval()'d code PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/showthread.php(1533) : eval()'d code 79 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php 1533 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What next (What other job can I do)?
As someone who is being made redundant and the shortage of any relevant jobs in archaeology, what other jobs should I be looking at?

What cross-transferable skills are there that other professions are crying out for?

This can be fieldwork skills, data management, report writing, mitigation management and consultancy skills etc.

Archaeology has quite a few transferable skills. Working in a team (or managing one), accurate report writing, research skills, working to deadlines, working outside in terrible weather shows a dedicated attitude....it kind of goes on like that. Trouble is you have to get the interview to convince people that you're not just waffling and that these really are transfable skills. good luck with the job hunt.
I sympathise being in a similar situation myself.

Archaeologists do have a lot of transferable skills, and we of course remain graduates. What options are open to individuals will depend on their specific skills, qualifications and the part of the country where they are seeking work as it may be easier for graduates living in the big population centres in the south to change careers.

There is a government website careersadvice.direct.gov.uk which has one of those 'what else can I do?' programs which asks you a load of questions and comes up up with a load of career options (I have just tried it again and it seems to have temporarily crashed). Thankfully mine did include 'Archaeologist' on my list of career possiblities meaning that I have not wasted a fair chunk of my professional career.

Don't rely on the jobcentrePLUS for any meaningfull support, mine didn't even ask me what my level of education was, and has given me no careers advice at all.

Good luck

To start thinking about this, think about what skills you have in relation to working as part of a group.

Then start thinking about the processes involved in using different database tables and software programmes and the relationships between field data to give you something you can verbalise in a report.

So far thats:

working inside of pre-existing company structures and the kind of relationships between input data and the data required for any given economic business exercise.

Start thinking about the types of data your aware of and then develop the economic relationships of that kind of data.

Then CV and job hunts away

good luck

txt is
Mike
Try the NHS (http://www.jobs.nhs.uk). Pay is awful,hours are great,holidays & pension etc are good.Trick is to fill in the application form to match the job/person specification.
As an example I was a butcher for 30+ years...and they employed me !! Make of that what you will !!<evil cackle>

Today is tomorrows yesterday.
I'm looking now at retraining too and entering the construction industry. It was hard enough to earn a half decent wage in Archaeology a few years ago and it's now impossible. I've had enough of it.

The good news is that if you are made redundant and on the dole for over 3 months there are government schemes that will pay you up to ?2,500 for retraining. You have to see a Careers adviser first. Jobcentre plus can give you the info on this.
Although archaeology has a lot of transferable skills to other proffessions, how many of them are actually looking to take people on as opposed to laying people of?
The option I took just before Christmas was to get enrolled at the Lincoln college's Learning school to get myself a CLAIT certificate then diploma at level 1-once done, then move on to level 2;i'm even thinking about doing a course on surveying-I look at it this way, i've got nothing to lose and everything to gain.
I'd reccomend this aproach to anyone who is currently unemployed, to think about broadening what skills you have to offer,at least we'd then have more to put on the CV!:face-approve:
One thing I have realised about doing this course,is how much i'm actually enjoying learning about how to use computers properlyBig Grin