The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined array key "avatartype" - Line: 783 - File: global.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 783 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php 26 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined array key "avatartype" - Line: 783 - File: global.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 783 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined variable $awaitingusers - Line: 34 - File: global.php(844) : eval()'d code PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php(844) : eval()'d code 34 errorHandler->error
/global.php 844 eval
Warning [2] Undefined array key "style" - Line: 909 - File: global.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 909 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$lang_select_default - Line: 5010 - File: inc/functions.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions.php 5010 errorHandler->error
/global.php 909 build_theme_select
Warning [2] Undefined array key "additionalgroups" - Line: 7045 - File: inc/functions.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions.php 7045 errorHandler->error
/inc/functions.php 5030 is_member
/global.php 909 build_theme_select
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$ratings_update_error - Line: 5 - File: showthread.php(732) : eval()'d code PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/showthread.php(732) : eval()'d code 5 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php 732 eval
Warning [2] Undefined array key "additionalgroups" - Line: 7045 - File: inc/functions.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions_user.php 837 is_member
/inc/functions_post.php 406 purgespammer_show
/showthread.php 1070 build_postbit
Warning [2] Undefined array key "profilefield" - Line: 6 - File: inc/functions_post.php(474) : eval()'d code PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions_post.php(474) : eval()'d code 6 errorHandler->error
/inc/functions_post.php 474 eval
Warning [2] Undefined array key "canonlyreplyownthreads" - Line: 660 - File: inc/functions_post.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions_post.php 660 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 741 - File: inc/functions_post.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions_post.php 741 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 746 - File: inc/functions_post.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions_post.php 746 errorHandler->error
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key "profilefield" - Line: 6 - File: inc/functions_post.php(474) : eval()'d code PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key "canonlyreplyownthreads" - Line: 660 - File: inc/functions_post.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 741 - File: inc/functions_post.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 746 - File: inc/functions_post.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key "canonlyviewownthreads" - Line: 1081 - File: showthread.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/showthread.php 1081 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "invisible" - Line: 1506 - File: showthread.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/showthread.php 1506 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined variable $threadnotesbox - Line: 30 - File: showthread.php(1533) : eval()'d code PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/showthread.php(1533) : eval()'d code 30 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php 1533 eval
Warning [2] Undefined variable $addremovesubscription - Line: 79 - File: showthread.php(1533) : eval()'d code PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/showthread.php(1533) : eval()'d code 79 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php 1533 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Just for Fun
At the end of a site tour and asked if there were any questions one individual asked 'how do know where to dig?
Ugh, members of the public, who invented them? To add to the amusing anecdotes about stupid peoples comments/questions, I recall working in Whitby a few years ago on a site right next to the public footpath - a woman in a baggy woolly jumper with dyed orange hair (I should have known better than to look up...)suddenly asked "Are all archaeologists Aries then?" With great effort I managed not to be rude... What a ridiculous question.

Of course, you can't work in Whitby without a constant procession of "Have you found Dracula yet?" questions. Grrrrrr.

dumper
The trouble is, that a lot of these comments from the public maybe do reflect the fact that we are still not very good at getting over exactly what it is we are doing and why we're doing it.
Although, there are time's when I think that the average level of common sense amongst the average member of the great British public seems to have dipped alarmingly over the years, but may I'm just getting oldSmile

Occasionally, you can have a bit of fun with a fulminating, Basil Fawlty type who will splutter on about it all being a waste of his/her taxpayers money. The first occasion it happened, I was happy to point out that the entire team were volunteers and the project was unlikely to cost them anything, the second was actually Heritage Lottery funded(not compulsory to buy a ticket y'know) and the third not really an issue unless they were going to buy one of the overpriced domiciles that our clients were going to be building on the site.[:p]
"Are you time team mate?"
No!
"Time team are coming in a few weeks and we are burying stuff so they'll find it on the telly!"
The look of horror was worth the wet cold day in a mud hole in deepest South Wales!

deep
From some of the quotes it seems that archaeologists aren't getting the message across of what important work they do, its shows the lack of knowledge of the general public. I think Time Team has brought your occupation more into the public eye... is there a way you can sort of cash in on this but still be a little distance from some of the practises.

Heritage organisations are all feeling the pinch due to cut backs be it the olympics or other excuses from local councils. I believe archeology needs to take more of a public role of education but not with the ... pointed finger Mr nasty attitude that some mentioning no names come across with.

I am all for heritage and recording its contents for future generations but I do wish that some people would open their eyes a little wider and see a lot of the positive work that is being done in various circles.
Education is the key and it will unlock the door to more public awareness, more money and more heritage saved.

Oooops... Just for fun...
Wish I had an ology.... remember that woman of the BT advert Big Grin

http://www.ukdfd.co.uk
Recording OUR heritage for future generations.
You forgot the bloody punch line Gary..... WinkBig Grin

http://www.detector-distribution.co.uk

For all your detecting needs.
Despite my fecetious earlier post, I normally try to be respectful and informative to members of the public regardless of the level of ignorance on display. I think most archs are the same. Despite this, in 10 years in the job I've not noticed an appreciable increase in public knowledge about the basics of how archaeology is set up in the UK. Hell, I can't even get my family to undertstand that my job is entirely based on the polluter pays principle and is professional and not taxpayer funded, amateur or dilletante stuff.

I think Archaeology has utterly failed to accurately portray itself. I woder if playing to the old fashioned views of archaeology just sells better, and we would get much less public sympathy/support if the media accurately represented the profession.
In fairness, the general public are totally unaware of the entire planning, development and construction process. For one thing there seems to be general perception that "the council" decides what is to be built, where and when (UDP's and whatnot notwithstanding).

We owe the dead nothing but the truth.
Quote:quote: and we would get much less public sympathy/support if the media accurately represented the profession.

Please also swap profession for hobby...

http://www.detector-distribution.co.uk

For all your detecting needs.
When digging on a golf course nr Sheffield....

'Have you found any Roman golf balls yet then?'

I do agree, Time Team and other good works have improved the level of knowledge of the general public hugely - I remember being at school and people kept thinking I was off to be an architect over my summer hols! :face-confused:

But ... not many people seem to know about the whole planning process, polluter pays, commercial aspect of archaeology that we are all so familar with.

Any ideas of how to get that information across to joe public? I was pretty impressed with the Time Team special that was on a few years ago that focused on commercial archaeology in Sheffield, its advantages, problems etc... perhaps a few more tv programs like this would help?