The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable - Line: 871 - File: showthread.php PHP 7.2.34 (Linux)
File Line Function
/showthread.php 871 errorHandler->error

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Our own personal archaeological archives.....Any ideas?
I remember hearing a story from an archaeological friend who visited an ageing archaeologists he had met in his youth. By this time the elderly archaeologist was very feeble and bed ridden and as my friend sat next to his bed passing the time of day he happened to glance down and see under the old boy's bed. Literally under the bed, were cardboard boxes marked with the names of sites he had worked on in his own youth. Data that would presumably pass into dust with the passing of the occupant of the bed.

I was reminded of this story today when I had to rescue some old data files from a long ago abandoned portable disk drive. I am sitting here right now with 3 of these things plugged into my laptop, I guess in total something approaching a couple of terabytes of data. I'd like to think there is nothing there of primary importance (i.e all of the raw data is deposited in some other more appropriate place), but there are photos, drafts of reports that never saw the light of day, alternative versions of reports that DID see the light of day, drawings maps, plans, my theories as to the identity of Jack the Ripper etc etc. I don't want to worry anyone, but I do know where the bodies are buried!! Figuratively and literally!!

With a little bit of thought and a small amount of time and armed with a copy of my CV I could probably attach a narrative to this data that might in some future time prove of interest to some passing Martian.....but where would I deposit such an archive? Isn't it about time that we had some kind of depository for such material, a DropBox of archaeological lives that includes our own personal narrative? (plus of course my long held belief that BAJR should host an obituary site for past colleagues and friends). Anyone have any thoughts on this?
With peace and consolation hath dismist, And calm of mind all passion spent...

Messages In This Thread
Our own personal archaeological archives.....Any ideas? - by kevin wooldridge - 23rd November 2013, 01:20 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Gwynedd Archaeological Trust changes... BAJR 5 4,822 18th March 2016, 02:46 PM
Last Post: GnomeKing
  Excavation archives as case studies pdurdin 34 22,776 29th May 2015, 12:44 AM
  10 best Archaeological Walks in the UK? Joey 12 7,146 12th July 2014, 04:18 PM
Last Post: Dinosaur
  Co-Creation, the Public, and the Archaeological Record BAJR 17 9,514 22nd April 2014, 02:17 PM
Last Post: Boxoffrogs
  Landscape Perspectives: new approaches in archaeological survey BAJR 1 3,154 4th April 2014, 06:18 PM
Last Post: BAJR
  Archaeological Research Framework for Wales. BAJR 1 1,778 3rd April 2014, 10:24 AM
  Proposed Budget Cuts to Archives and Heritage in Northamptonshire BAJR 3 3,280 20th February 2014, 08:00 PM
  Archaeological bloggers - blog carnival Martin Locock 5 4,714 6th February 2014, 08:45 PM
Last Post: Doug
  Archaeological Oddities series BAJR 2 2,467 11th October 2013, 12:33 PM
Last Post: Jeff S
  Derrywoone Castle Archaeological Excavation 2013 BAJR 1 1,990 21st May 2013, 09:55 PM