Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Excavation Skills!
Marcus Brody Wrote:Because postgrads definitely know how to excavate and record a site?????

(Before anyone writes an impassioned defence of the field skills of postgrads, let me point out that this was intended as a jokeWink)

Eeerm...my personal experience many moons ago on my first university 'training' dig was an almost eye-watering rate of promotion once it was realised that I'd actually done a load of digging pre-uni on circuit sites...seemed to mysteriously get all the fun complicated bits of digging/surveying/recording/whatever else needed doing, at least it meant I avoided having to go near all the bad trowelling etc...then off the back of that got lots of valuable experience helping with the post-ex trying to sort out the multi-year excav, which was a bit of an eye-opener.....
Dinosaur Wrote:Eeerm...my personal experience many moons ago on my first university 'training' dig was an almost eye-watering rate of promotion once it was realised that I'd actually done a load of digging pre-uni on circuit sites...seemed to mysteriously get all the fun complicated bits of digging/surveying/recording/whatever else needed doing, at least it meant I avoided having to go near all the bad trowelling etc...then off the back of that got lots of valuable experience helping with the post-ex trying to sort out the multi-year excav, which was a bit of an eye-opener.....

Same here, Dinosaur. Mind you, the number of postgrad archaeologists working in academia who sat on their elbows seemed to be the majority in my day.
D. Vader
Senior Consultant

Vader Maull & Palpatine
Archaeological Consultants

A tremor in the Force. The last time I felt it was in the presence of Tony Robinson.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What are the three core skills a new digger needs Wax 38 16,122 9th July 2015, 12:55 PM
Last Post: Dinosaur
  Excavation archives as case studies pdurdin 34 22,017 29th May 2015, 12:44 AM
Last Post: GnomeKing
  Advice on bringing my field skills up to date? Mander 19 12,587 12th March 2015, 07:29 PM
  Skills Passport now shipping BAJR 6 3,510 9th July 2014, 09:33 PM
Last Post: Land-Escapist
  Visualisation of an excavation trench BAJR 2 2,767 14th March 2014, 02:15 PM
Last Post: John Wells
  Derrywoone Castle Archaeological Excavation 2013 BAJR 1 1,940 21st May 2013, 09:55 PM
Last Post: BAJR
  Skills Passport Scheme BAJR 29 14,504 22nd April 2013, 06:37 PM
  Irish Excavation Licenses indicate continued reduction in work BAJR 2 2,798 3rd January 2013, 08:05 PM
Last Post: Bodger51
  First kite aerial photo of an excavation? John Wells 10 6,640 29th October 2012, 10:07 AM
Last Post: John Wells
  History of Hattuşa?s excavation on display BAJR 1 1,694 15th October 2012, 06:55 AM
Last Post: BAJR