Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Excavation Skills!
so what is subsoil?

its not topsoil
Reason: your past is my past
Post-natural deposition?
There are lots of very clear definitions of what a sub soil is on the net some more technical than others. I have understood it to be the less biologically active layers under the immediate topsoil where all the really frisky biological action is taking place. yes I know biological action of various sorts can continue to some depth but the top soil is where it is at. So if archaeologists have been misusing the term where are we going wrong?
When I was in uni we did a really useful module on site drawing, it involved a massive section being drawn up on the wall and then having to measure the dimensions and reproduce it at a scale of 1:10 and I think 1:20. The same could be done with planning. Just a simple way to give a basic understanding of working with different scales.
On the basis that the most valuable site skill is the one most likely to get that job on site in the first place,

SEND THEM OFF TO A DRIVING SCHOOL

Oh, and subsoil is the bit with the archaeology in that quarry operators start machining off without asking....but unusually Unit is spot on and totally accurate, it's in the name really, subsoil is just anything under the 'soil', normally taken to mean the modern biologically active topsoil, surprised Mr Prentice didn't know that :face-kiss:
P Prentice Wrote:i knew it would be you

so what is subsoil?

...............errrrrr........ the layer of soil below the topsoil...........................
Quote:so what is subsoil?
A deposit in the heads on a submarine? (hangs head in shame at terrible naval joke)}Smile
Quote:so what is subsoil?

A convenient way of describing the b horizon between the a and c horizons, without sounding like a pretentious a**e.
Kajemby Wrote:What is sub soil?

A convenient way of describing the b horizon between the a and c horizons, without sounding like a pretentious a**e.

Nice one !! :face-approve:
Kajemby Wrote:A convenient way of describing the b horizon between the a and c horizons, without sounding like a pretentious a**e.

therefore on an archaeological context sheet it is an entirely meaningless term - mostly used by people who dont understand site formation
If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don't have to worry about answers

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What are the three core skills a new digger needs Wax 38 21,268 9th July 2015, 12:55 PM
Last Post: Dinosaur
  Excavation archives as case studies pdurdin 34 28,242 29th May 2015, 12:44 AM
Last Post: GnomeKing
  Advice on bringing my field skills up to date? Mander 19 16,556 12th March 2015, 07:29 PM
  Skills Passport now shipping BAJR 6 4,653 9th July 2014, 09:33 PM
Last Post: Land-Escapist
  Visualisation of an excavation trench BAJR 2 3,376 14th March 2014, 02:15 PM
Last Post: John Wells
  Derrywoone Castle Archaeological Excavation 2013 BAJR 1 2,347 21st May 2013, 09:55 PM
Last Post: BAJR
  Skills Passport Scheme BAJR 29 20,851 22nd April 2013, 06:37 PM
  Irish Excavation Licenses indicate continued reduction in work BAJR 2 3,501 3rd January 2013, 08:05 PM
Last Post: Bodger51
  First kite aerial photo of an excavation? John Wells 10 8,442 29th October 2012, 10:07 AM
Last Post: John Wells
  History of Hattuşa?s excavation on display BAJR 1 2,090 15th October 2012, 06:55 AM
Last Post: BAJR