The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined array key "avatartype" - Line: 783 - File: global.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 783 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php 26 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined array key "avatartype" - Line: 783 - File: global.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 783 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined variable $awaitingusers - Line: 34 - File: global.php(844) : eval()'d code PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php(844) : eval()'d code 34 errorHandler->error
/global.php 844 eval
Warning [2] Undefined array key "style" - Line: 909 - File: global.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 909 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$lang_select_default - Line: 5010 - File: inc/functions.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions.php 5010 errorHandler->error
/global.php 909 build_theme_select
Warning [2] Undefined array key "additionalgroups" - Line: 7045 - File: inc/functions.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions.php 7045 errorHandler->error
/inc/functions.php 5030 is_member
/global.php 909 build_theme_select
Warning [2] Undefined array key "mybb" - Line: 1938 - File: inc/functions.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions.php 1938 errorHandler->error
/inc/functions_indicators.php 41 my_set_array_cookie
/showthread.php 629 mark_thread_read
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$ratings_update_error - Line: 5 - File: showthread.php(732) : eval()'d code PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/showthread.php(732) : eval()'d code 5 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php 732 eval
Warning [2] Undefined array key "additionalgroups" - Line: 7045 - File: inc/functions.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions_user.php 837 is_member
/inc/functions_post.php 406 purgespammer_show
/showthread.php 1070 build_postbit
Warning [2] Undefined array key "profilefield" - Line: 6 - File: inc/functions_post.php(474) : eval()'d code PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions_post.php(474) : eval()'d code 6 errorHandler->error
/inc/functions_post.php 474 eval
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 741 - File: inc/functions_post.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions_post.php 741 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 746 - File: inc/functions_post.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions_post.php 746 errorHandler->error
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key "profilefield" - Line: 6 - File: inc/functions_post.php(474) : eval()'d code PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 741 - File: inc/functions_post.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 746 - File: inc/functions_post.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key "canonlyviewownthreads" - Line: 1081 - File: showthread.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/showthread.php 1081 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "threadprefix" - Line: 4 - File: showthread.php(1168) : eval()'d code PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/showthread.php(1168) : eval()'d code 4 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php 1168 eval
Warning [2] Undefined array key "threadprefix" - Line: 4 - File: showthread.php(1168) : eval()'d code PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key "invisible" - Line: 1506 - File: showthread.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/showthread.php 1506 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined variable $threadnotesbox - Line: 30 - File: showthread.php(1533) : eval()'d code PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/showthread.php(1533) : eval()'d code 30 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php 1533 eval
Warning [2] Undefined variable $addremovesubscription - Line: 79 - File: showthread.php(1533) : eval()'d code PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/showthread.php(1533) : eval()'d code 79 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php 1533 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Working together
I should also point out that the discussion is related to archaeology, and that I invited people to talk.

The hijack is not so .. it is an invitation. Wink

there are hundreds of thread here.. only a few are detecting related, as it is a relevant and current issue.

nuff said... as to minority... cough... theres only a few thousand of us... so we must be super minority Smile

Another day another WSI?
Tom, I really respect what you have said in this thread and the fact that you have said it.

Quote:quote:I also believe you will find that if Mr Hosty asked detectorist to back off on the subject we would leave this board without causing any fuss.

I for one have an awful lot of Respect for David, he has often taken the time to talk sense in to me (which I thnak him for) and as Gary says if he asked me at any time to back off or leave the board then I mwould do so immmediately and with the minimum of fuss.

I dont think that detecting is quite the minority that you seem to think it is, while there are not the hoards of 180,000 that have been quoetd elsewhere, there still are a fair few number of us.

Some of us, myself for example, depsite quite ofetn losing my rag, are still determined to debate and discuss, given the chance, my pupose in highglighting both Davids and Pauls posts earlier in this thread was to point out the differences in approach to this subject and why some respond as they do.

Gary has made a video, in conjunction with archaeologists, demonstrating cooperation in the field. How can this possibly be anything other than a very positive thing to show.

I have to say that on the occasions I have been fortunate enough to work for archaeologists on digs as a detectorist, I have thoroughly enjoyed the experience.

I found that the field archaeologists and diggers were as interested in what I did and how I did it as I was in their processes, they took the time to show me exactly what they were doing, pointing out the features etc.... and not once did I ever encounter the preduces or attitudes that I have found on the forums from some.

Good for you for not allowing yourself be sucked into Tom, but whatever you may think, I for one am here to learn and to teach.

Regards

http://www.detector-distribution.co.uk

For all your detecting needs.
Quote:quote:Originally posted by garybrun

If we are real honest Steve I think its got something do do with the name of the person who posted it. If it was made by a "responsible detectorist" you would have found there would have just been praise heaped upon it. Lets face it... anything that you or I post will be jumped upon by Tweedle Dum and Tweedle Dee no matter what it is a bout. I think the archaeological community need to do something about the bad apple and its worm.
http://www.ukdfd.co.uk Recording OUR heritage for future generations.
I asked about the UKDFD logo, I got no answer, I also asked about what the message of the film is besides if detectorists tell archaeologists where stuff comes from they can dig a hole there... but that is not the be all and end all of archaeology. I do not see the point of the NT bit at all, it does not relate to the rest. But then I heard that the film is not yet finished and so left it, assuming my questions (perfectly reasonable ones) would get answered when it was. No name-caling, just a question an archaeologist might ask anbout a film about archaeology posted for comment on an archaeological discussion forum. If it had been posted by the Chief Archaeologist in co-operation with Steven Spielberg, financed by the Minister of Culture I'd still have asked the same questions (and probably a few more). So are we discussing it, or are we waiting for gary to post the finished film?
The beauty about this film Steve when it is completed is that it will be shown in the museum which is good public information.
My partner and I will also donate DVDs for the museum to sell and raise funds for future digs and restoration projects.
The finished project will not cost the museums or the national trust one single penny... its our part of adding to the public information and educating future detectorists, the general public and archaeologists. What wasn't shown in the film in more detail was articles such as quarter staters and other items being recovered that would have been damaged by the trowel.

Peter is a great guy and very open for suggestions and also gives credit were credit is due. My partner and I with our company will do our very best to promote such an active participation and will use our contacts within the industry to raise funds and public awareness to the museum in which Peter is curator.

http://www.ukdfd.co.uk
Recording OUR heritage for future generations.
I think it is a very good film actually... even my Curator boss (p/t) sat and we watched it together.. showed how they took what they had found to the museum, were aware of the laws, the museum were able to gain info, the MDs were welcomed, the barriers broken down... so that detectroists are likely to trust archaeologists in future Wink and so seek advice when they need it and offer advice when sought Wink The NTS stated their position but also the importance of cooperation.. though I loved the steamtrain ...

" so you in.. tend.... PHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE hhhhhhhhhhooOOOOOOOOOO
if you ..... CHUFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF.................. at both ends ChffffffffffeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeEEEEEEEEEEEEEe ... with a rubber glove,,,,,................

OK ... bit of artistic licence Big Grin

I like the positive and thats what BAJR is about.

Now... on a slightly different note... would a Detecting section be a good idea on the Forum? That way people that want to read and discuss archaeology and detecting can, and those that don't can run screaming to anther section.. [?][?] or is that devisive?

Another day another WSI?
I think the detecting section is a good idea.
I would not want to be seen to be disrupting Bajr forum and I also think this a is fair step toward your loyal members here.
I must say that I appreciate being able to discuss my views even though they may not be agreed upon but at least fair moderation is the order of the day which goes a long way to attracting other people to discuss and debate.

http://www.ukdfd.co.uk
Recording OUR heritage for future generations.
For what its worth I think a seperate section is a great idea, to judge by the number of threads, this subject is quite large enough to justify it, and it has kinda taken over the "..Solutions etc.." section. Not a complaint, just an observation.Smile

"Never put off 'till tomorrow that which you can put off 'till the day after tomorrow.."
I think a detecting section would be a fine idea. I must admit, I have been a bit lost in recent days after logging in and seeing all this stuff that Im not so interested in ive just logged out again.

G
On the one hand- yes, give the issue its own space.On the other, no-this is an archaeological website.Any new visitor to the site could become confused and believe that metal detecting is an integral component of professional archaeology.At the moment, there is still too much politics and not enough movement towards an agreed set of standards and-the IFA seem to have not taken up the chalice and involved themselves in such discussions either.Tiz good to see the issue here but...not sure if it warrents it`s own box until a clear ceasefire is seen to be in placeBig Grin

..knowledge without action is insanity and action without knowledge is vanity..(imam ghazali,ayyuhal-walad)
bit of a stupid response on my part I`m afraid-had`nt noticed the new thread already up and running.Tiz a good thread.My apologies (ish).Big Grin

..knowledge without action is insanity and action without knowledge is vanity..(imam ghazali,ayyuhal-walad)

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How many hours in your working week? P Prentice 31 21,240 29th July 2015, 12:21 PM
Last Post: Dinosaur
  Working Hours? Do you ? BAJR 118 62,721 12th September 2012, 08:28 PM
  Open Letter on Cuts and working together. BAJR 62 31,177 25th March 2011, 01:29 PM
Last Post: BAJR
  Archaeology's crossroad; working together or striding apart? BAJR 27 16,238 25th February 2011, 03:05 PM
Last Post: P Prentice
  Diggers' Forum survey on travel and away working sadie 41 26,691 17th February 2011, 12:32 PM
Last Post: gwyl
  DF guide to cold weather working sadie 29 19,227 7th January 2011, 05:58 PM
  Working outside the UK Gilraen 18 11,027 17th July 2010, 11:00 AM
Last Post: kevin wooldridge
  Calling all archaeologists and enthusiasts working in Scotland. BAJR Host 20 13,264 2nd March 2010, 09:58 AM
Last Post: BAJR
  Working in Europe kmunro 4 4,393 30th March 2008, 09:51 AM
Last Post: BAJR Host
  For the Archaeologist working in France BAJR Host 1 1,912 10th June 2007, 09:49 PM
Last Post: BAJR Host