The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined array key "avatartype" - Line: 783 - File: global.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 783 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php 26 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined array key "avatartype" - Line: 783 - File: global.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 783 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined variable $awaitingusers - Line: 34 - File: global.php(844) : eval()'d code PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php(844) : eval()'d code 34 errorHandler->error
/global.php 844 eval
Warning [2] Undefined array key "style" - Line: 909 - File: global.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 909 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$lang_select_default - Line: 5010 - File: inc/functions.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions.php 5010 errorHandler->error
/global.php 909 build_theme_select
Warning [2] Undefined array key "additionalgroups" - Line: 7045 - File: inc/functions.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions.php 7045 errorHandler->error
/inc/functions.php 5030 is_member
/global.php 909 build_theme_select
Warning [2] Undefined array key "mybb" - Line: 1938 - File: inc/functions.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions.php 1938 errorHandler->error
/inc/functions_indicators.php 41 my_set_array_cookie
/showthread.php 629 mark_thread_read
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$ratings_update_error - Line: 5 - File: showthread.php(732) : eval()'d code PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/showthread.php(732) : eval()'d code 5 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php 732 eval
Warning [2] Undefined array key "additionalgroups" - Line: 7045 - File: inc/functions.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions_user.php 837 is_member
/inc/functions_post.php 406 purgespammer_show
/showthread.php 1070 build_postbit
Warning [2] Undefined array key "profilefield" - Line: 6 - File: inc/functions_post.php(474) : eval()'d code PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions_post.php(474) : eval()'d code 6 errorHandler->error
/inc/functions_post.php 474 eval
Warning [2] Undefined array key "canonlyreplyownthreads" - Line: 660 - File: inc/functions_post.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions_post.php 660 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 741 - File: inc/functions_post.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions_post.php 741 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 746 - File: inc/functions_post.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions_post.php 746 errorHandler->error
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key "profilefield" - Line: 6 - File: inc/functions_post.php(474) : eval()'d code PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key "canonlyreplyownthreads" - Line: 660 - File: inc/functions_post.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 741 - File: inc/functions_post.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 746 - File: inc/functions_post.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key "canonlyviewownthreads" - Line: 1081 - File: showthread.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/showthread.php 1081 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "threadprefix" - Line: 4 - File: showthread.php(1168) : eval()'d code PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/showthread.php(1168) : eval()'d code 4 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php 1168 eval
Warning [2] Undefined array key "threadprefix" - Line: 4 - File: showthread.php(1168) : eval()'d code PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key "invisible" - Line: 1506 - File: showthread.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/showthread.php 1506 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined variable $threadnotesbox - Line: 30 - File: showthread.php(1533) : eval()'d code PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/showthread.php(1533) : eval()'d code 30 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php 1533 eval
Warning [2] Undefined variable $addremovesubscription - Line: 79 - File: showthread.php(1533) : eval()'d code PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/showthread.php(1533) : eval()'d code 79 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php 1533 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The value of a watching brief
Posted by Troll, with quotes from me:
Quote:quote:Greetings all.My issue is with the following:
1."I never allow the contractor to go direct to the curator"

I don`t like this for a number of reasons.Mainly, the curator is a representative/servant (take yer pick) of the tax-paying public.His/her job is involved in the curation of a publically owned resource. Sorry consultants-I find this concept arrogant in the extreme.In my experience, consultants seem to make a habit of this.Nothing short of the curator literally handing the finite resource over to the private sector on a plate.Have a fantastic example of this very practise and the price the archaeology had to pay.

2."grief with curators is a problem for them(clients) and they prefer to avoid it"
I bet they bloody do.So, let me get this nice and clear... consultants feel that they have the right to deny contractors access to the curators? Is this standard practise?

Point 1
Well, I think you are misinterpreting here. I don't deny the curators access to the contractor, or vice versa; what I do is ensure that when they meet I, or one of my staff, is present. That way, I can make sure that the curator does not issue contractual instructions to the contractor, which they are not entitled to do as they are not a party to the contract.

This is as much to protect the contractor as the client. If a contractor does work on the curator's instructions, without having them agreed by the client first, then they are in breach of contract. The client would be entitled to refuse to pay for the work, and could potentially sue them if the work has an adverse effect on the proposed construction method. However, if the consultant is present, the work can be discussed and, if it is reasonable, agreed. The contractor then takes an instruction to do the work from the consultant, and that instruction is contractually valid.

Take note that, in the 13 years I have been doing this, no curator or contractor has ever objected to this approach. In fact, the only person ever to object is Troll.

In practice, in some counties, I often have to persuade curators to come to site, so that sites where I am the consultant often get more curator monitoring than would otherwise be the case.

Another reason to prevent direct, unmoderated contractor/curator contact over a project is to prevent unscrupulous contractor PMs (they do exist) from feathering their nest by building up the need for more work than is justified. I have seen this done so blatantly that the curator himself objected, saying that the extra work recommended by the contractor was not needed.

Point 2
Not sure what you object to in my original comment. What I was saying was that, once a developer has agreed a WSI with the curator and agreed a price for implementing it with a contractor, then they want to ensure that the work is done to the satisfaction of the curator. If the contractor skimps on the work, and in consequence the curator makes a justifiable fuss, that is just time and money down the drain for the developer. So, they try to avoid that situation. Where they negotiate hard is in agreeing the WSI in the first place.

1man1desk

to let, fully furnished
Tiz not what you actually said sire.

..knowledge without action is insanity and action without knowledge is vanity..(imam ghazali,ayyuhal-walad)
I think if you look at my words, as quoted directly by yourself, that is exactly what I said. Developers want to avoid "grief with curators" because it is a problem - i.e. it costs time and money. So, once they have an agreed scope of work and an agreed price, they want the contractor to do the job properly. That is what they are paying for, and that is how they avoid grief with the curators.

1man1desk

to let, fully furnished

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Watching the Curator BAJR 19 11,697 7th June 2012, 10:39 AM
Last Post: serpentine
  A better brighter Britain but not for watching brief conditions gwyl 22 15,173 9th December 2010, 03:15 PM
Last Post: the invisible man
  First Watching Brief Nerves thundercat 43 22,175 23rd July 2010, 01:16 PM
Last Post: Dinosaur
  Longest Watching Brief drpeterwardle 29 16,067 1st July 2009, 12:18 PM
Last Post: Unitof1
  No Watching Brief on Pipelines!?! AchingTrenchHeadAtADesk 36 28,644 27th August 2008, 02:49 PM
Last Post: Sparky
  The chancellors watching brief! 1man1desk 2 2,784 5th December 2005, 11:06 PM
Last Post: troll