The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined array key "avatartype" - Line: 783 - File: global.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 783 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php 26 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined array key "avatartype" - Line: 783 - File: global.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 783 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined variable $awaitingusers - Line: 34 - File: global.php(844) : eval()'d code PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php(844) : eval()'d code 34 errorHandler->error
/global.php 844 eval
Warning [2] Undefined array key "style" - Line: 909 - File: global.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 909 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$lang_select_default - Line: 5010 - File: inc/functions.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions.php 5010 errorHandler->error
/global.php 909 build_theme_select
Warning [2] Undefined array key "additionalgroups" - Line: 7045 - File: inc/functions.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions.php 7045 errorHandler->error
/inc/functions.php 5030 is_member
/global.php 909 build_theme_select
Warning [2] Undefined array key "mybb" - Line: 1938 - File: inc/functions.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions.php 1938 errorHandler->error
/inc/functions_indicators.php 41 my_set_array_cookie
/showthread.php 629 mark_thread_read
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$ratings_update_error - Line: 5 - File: showthread.php(732) : eval()'d code PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/showthread.php(732) : eval()'d code 5 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php 732 eval
Warning [2] Undefined array key "additionalgroups" - Line: 7045 - File: inc/functions.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions_user.php 837 is_member
/inc/functions_post.php 406 purgespammer_show
/showthread.php 1070 build_postbit
Warning [2] Undefined array key "profilefield" - Line: 6 - File: inc/functions_post.php(474) : eval()'d code PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions_post.php(474) : eval()'d code 6 errorHandler->error
/inc/functions_post.php 474 eval
Warning [2] Undefined array key "canonlyreplyownthreads" - Line: 660 - File: inc/functions_post.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions_post.php 660 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 741 - File: inc/functions_post.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions_post.php 741 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 746 - File: inc/functions_post.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions_post.php 746 errorHandler->error
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key "profilefield" - Line: 6 - File: inc/functions_post.php(474) : eval()'d code PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key "canonlyreplyownthreads" - Line: 660 - File: inc/functions_post.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 741 - File: inc/functions_post.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 746 - File: inc/functions_post.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key "canonlyviewownthreads" - Line: 1081 - File: showthread.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/showthread.php 1081 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "invisible" - Line: 1506 - File: showthread.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/showthread.php 1506 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined variable $threadnotesbox - Line: 30 - File: showthread.php(1533) : eval()'d code PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/showthread.php(1533) : eval()'d code 30 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php 1533 eval
Warning [2] Undefined variable $addremovesubscription - Line: 79 - File: showthread.php(1533) : eval()'d code PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/showthread.php(1533) : eval()'d code 79 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php 1533 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Should I stay or should I go?
I am in my mid twenties and have been working in archaeology since I finished university. As archaeology goes I am on the very respectable wage of £17k, have a perminant job, and I really enjoy what I am doing. However I have bizzarly been "headhunted" and potentially been offered I job completely outside of archaeology with a starting salary of £30k. That amount of money would prove extremely useful obviously but it would mean giving up the job I love. If I leave archaeology now it was potentially be quite hard to get back into it if things didnt work out but I would feel I was being quite selfish turning down the opportunity to take a huge chunk off our mortgage. The money is attractive I have to admit! Would others take the opportunity or are you all too loyal?
Hi Squid that is a dilema, I had exacatly the oppesite I trained as car mechanic, after my GCSEs, but quit, I didnt like the job that much, after doing a few other jobs I went to uni and now do archaeology.

Its upto you it is an oppertunity for 30K a year is a lot of money, you have to talk it through with your other half.

Me, I would honestly take it if meant I could pay off debt and it shouldnt be that hard to get into, you can always keep your hand in doing communities projects as a volenteer.

But yes it is hard choice hope you can make a decision that makes you happy.

Orkynowot

May god go with you in all the dark places you must walk.
I think you should give it a go. If you don't enjoy it, come back to archaeology after a couple of years. Things don't change that much and if you have several years experience then you will easily get a job. I've worked with people who cmae back to digging after 10 years + away from the job.

Its better to regret someting you did than something you didn't do.
Have to say.... you do what makes you happy... if you would regret not doing it then you know the answer already.

As they have said.. keep your hand in, do Community Arch and enjoy being an archaeologist - You can always return..

Life is too short.

Another day another WSI?
I would take the cash and go...If it goes pear-shaped at least you can return to archaeology with a bit of a pension and a smaller mortgage - mind you, you would be mad to go back (in my view)!!

I left archaeology some years ago and moved into the neighbouring "heritage industry" on higher wages and better conditions - haven't looked back since

Whatever route you take - best of luck
Archaeophobe
Congratulations - guess that any job is a trade off with pros and cons. No job has everything and with archaeology it always seems to to boil down to money and you will be in archaeology a long long time before you get offerd an arch job on that wage!

Archaeology seems to be experiencing a drain of skills and experience and if you leave now you should hav enuff exp to return to a relatively good job so the decision you make now is not as drastic as first seems.

Id give it a try if i was in your possition - you may love the new job and bet you any money their be a wet muddy hole somewhere for you if it doesnt work out and if you do decide the lure of arch is too strong at least youll return with a bit of the finantial burden removed

Good luck whatever you decide