The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined array key "avatartype" - Line: 783 - File: global.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 783 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined array key "avatartype" - Line: 783 - File: global.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 783 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined variable $awaitingusers - Line: 34 - File: global.php(844) : eval()'d code PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php(844) : eval()'d code 34 errorHandler->error
/global.php 844 eval
Warning [2] Undefined array key "style" - Line: 909 - File: global.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 909 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$lang_select_default - Line: 5010 - File: inc/functions.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions.php 5010 errorHandler->error
/global.php 909 build_theme_select
Warning [2] Undefined array key "additionalgroups" - Line: 7045 - File: inc/functions.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions.php 7045 errorHandler->error
/inc/functions.php 5030 is_member
/global.php 909 build_theme_select
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$archive_pages - Line: 2 - File: printthread.php(257) : eval()'d code PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php(257) : eval()'d code 2 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 257 eval
/printthread.php 117 printthread_multipage
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 160 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 160 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 165 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 165 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 160 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 165 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function

BAJR Federation Archaeology
Classic mistakes when first starting to dig - Printable Version

+- BAJR Federation Archaeology (http://www.bajrfed.co.uk)
+-- Forum: BAJR Federation Forums (http://www.bajrfed.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: The Site Hut (http://www.bajrfed.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Thread: Classic mistakes when first starting to dig (/showthread.php?tid=910)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

Classic mistakes when first starting to dig - Dirty Dave Lincoln - 7th May 2008

Several years ago i put together the sheets of a plan done by two relatively new diggers of an open area excav' when i noticed the two large ditches that meandered across the site looked odd.On one sheet ditch A cut ditch B but on the next sheet B cut A.
I suppose thats what Eddie Wairing would have called "an up and under"[?]

Classic mistakes when first starting to dig - BAJR Host - 14th May 2008

Just so you know I picked 3 classics for the Past Horizons Magazine

http://www.pasthorizons.com/magazine

its in the fun page!

cheers! your famous!

"No job worth doing was ever done on time or under budget.."
Khufu

Classic mistakes when first starting to dig - Dirty Dave Lincoln - 20th May 2008

Mid 90s we had a good laugh about a young digger small finding a load of "nails" only for them to be revealed as worm casts!mine was finding a 2foot long possible late IA sword which turned out to be a rusted up rasp![:I]

Classic mistakes when first starting to dig - 1man1desk - 20th May 2008

I remember a very shy young first-timer in the early 80s, who was terrified of the supervisor. She found a beautiful decorated bronze pin and didn't know what to do - but was too nervous to ask - so she hid it in the box of 6" nails and hoped no-one would notice. Cue a very big surprise for the next person to get a nail out of the box...

1man1desk

to let, fully furnished

Classic mistakes when first starting to dig - 1man1desk - 20th May 2008

Not really a mistake when first starting to dig, but I remember checking a contractor's report and finding out that an important stratigraphic relationship wasn't described. I phoned up the contractor to query it, and the conversation with their PM went something like this:

PM: "Terribly sorry - it wasn't drawn on site and we don't have a record."
Me: "The site is still open and you have people nearby - can you send someone out to look at it?"
PM: "Ditch A cut Ditch B."
Me: "How do you know? You didn't see it personally, you don't have a record, and you haven't asked anyone who did see it on site."
PM: "I know, but I am making an executive decision that Ditch A cut Ditch B".

A highly convincing approach to stratigraphic analysis, I don't think.

1man1desk

to let, fully furnished

Classic mistakes when first starting to dig - Dirty Dave Lincoln - 24th May 2008

This is to prove the point that it occaisonally pays to look at one's own feet-at the end of a long day digging on a Lincoln priory site back in 86 I was asked had I had many finds where I was digging, a few I replied and they were in the tray,what about any coins-had I saved any? only if I find any I said puzzled,"what about that one" I was told, looking down on my left boot was a lump of dried mud with a med silver penny sticking out of it,i've learned to be a bit more observant since then![:I]

Classic mistakes when first starting to dig - mercenary - 24th May 2008

ha ha. A colleague tells a similar story about looking down after a clay caked trudge back to the site hut to find a Roman intaglio stuck on his boot. It was by far the best find of an otherwise horrific site.

Classic mistakes when first starting to dig - Dirty Dave Lincoln - 26th May 2008

Same priory site,one morning while VERY hung over was told to remove a spit 30cm deep and about 20m long between two storm drains;I duly started mattocking and after a while found some tiles-put them in the tray,and then kept finding more and more tile,so in the tray they all went.At that point the old boy who'd noticed my boot ornament came over and asked what I was up to,i duly told him and pointed out all the tile i was finding (feeling dead chuffed with myself)out came his trowel and there under about 5cm of soil was this beautiful circular tile hearth!cept at this point it was only half circular as the other half was in my finds trays.Sad

Classic mistakes when first starting to dig - Oxbeast - 29th May 2008

I've just found an Iron Age triple ditch alignment on aerial photographs which is perfectly aligned under a set of pylons. Evidence of leylines, perhaps?

Classic mistakes when first starting to dig - angi - 29th May 2008

Quote:quote:Originally posted by Oxbeast

I've just found an Iron Age triple ditch alignment on aerial photographs which is perfectly aligned under a set of pylons. Evidence of leylines, perhaps?

Nice yellow hay spread over a nice green field also provides fun and frolicks when following up aerial photography 'discoveries' Big Grin