The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined array key "avatartype" - Line: 783 - File: global.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 783 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined array key "avatartype" - Line: 783 - File: global.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 783 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined variable $awaitingusers - Line: 34 - File: global.php(844) : eval()'d code PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php(844) : eval()'d code 34 errorHandler->error
/global.php 844 eval
Warning [2] Undefined array key "style" - Line: 909 - File: global.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 909 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$lang_select_default - Line: 5010 - File: inc/functions.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions.php 5010 errorHandler->error
/global.php 909 build_theme_select
Warning [2] Undefined array key "additionalgroups" - Line: 7045 - File: inc/functions.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions.php 7045 errorHandler->error
/inc/functions.php 5030 is_member
/global.php 909 build_theme_select
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$archive_pages - Line: 2 - File: printthread.php(257) : eval()'d code PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php(257) : eval()'d code 2 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 257 eval
/printthread.php 117 printthread_multipage
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 160 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 160 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 165 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 165 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 160 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 165 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function

BAJR Federation Archaeology
Predictions for 2016... - Printable Version

+- BAJR Federation Archaeology (http://www.bajrfed.co.uk)
+-- Forum: BAJR Federation Forums (http://www.bajrfed.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: The Site Hut (http://www.bajrfed.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Thread: Predictions for 2016... (/showthread.php?tid=5827)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Predictions for 2016... - Crocodile - 25th March 2016

I never said you were deluded, I never said that you said I was lying either, amongst other things that I didn't say.

I posted about the low pay to highlight the fact that there are companies that are getting left behind.

I don't want to discuss the details with anyone that I don't know but

"Somehow I knew you would"

Sounds negative and doesn't put me at ease to do so.

I posted the comment because I know POs that are on less than £21000 and this contrasts with the general upward direction of pay elswhere. I didn't post it to annoy you.

I thought individuals could be members of Prospect. I wasn't aware thst whole workforce had to be members. Do they not offer advice to individual members?

Predictions for 2016... - BAJR - 25th March 2016

I think our wires are crossed here... You said.."It's not a lie, it doesn't need substantiation". This suggests that you feel it is being perceived as a lie. My comment about being deluded is just that..a question posed about whether I am right to be hopeful rather than a deluded fool (me talking about me). The whole workforce does not have to unionised..however the company has to recognise the union. Indeed..these mysterious people who work for mysterious companies ( I can't say any more,given you refuse to tell me.) Should have started dealing now..rather than waiting til April.

So we it from my side. Don't be offended that I ask who...it is a legitimate question from one of the few people that you seriously can trust to tell.... Whether or not you know me personally. Anyway...you won't. Tell so it is pointless to continue.

Returning to the original thread... Am I right or wrong (maybe even deluded) to think this year has potential to see rates and benefits rise? Yes or no with an optional why?

:face-angel:

Rubicon are setting a good example.

Predictions for 2016... - P Prentice - 29th March 2016

its all a bit moot when regional managers are po's and supervisors manage projects. time to get rid of these outmoded job titles?

Predictions for 2016... - BAJR - 29th March 2016

Which is why BAJR dropped that long long ago.... It is all down to responsibilities.

and Grades... G2, G3, G4 etc...

It is also why I call myself Grand High Poobah... meaninglessness title --- it is what I am expected to do that matters..

The titles people give are different in different locations and companies so one persons archaeologist may be a Digger while another classes this as a Project Supervisor. etc...

So always go by what you are expected to do, rather than the job title.

Are you in charge of a Bucket.....a Wheelbarrow...a van with 3 wheelbarrows OR a warehouse with 2 vans

Predictions for 2016... - BAJR - 29th March 2016

Level: (example posts )

Trainee Training Post with no previous experience required, supervised and trained, with record of skill squired (consider the Skills Passport)

Level 2 General knowledge of work required, should be able to carry out work with instruction from Supervisor or a senior field worker. This grade would be for a person with 6 months - 1 years work at this level.

Level 3 Experienced in most aspects of the work, though will receive supervision and further instruction from higher levels. Usually the person has a longer experience in chosen field than a Level 2 - rated in years rather than months and should expect to be paid more for their additional skillsets

Level 3/4 Experienced in all aspects of the work, and although they may receive some supervision and instruction from higher levels are capable of basic Level 4 tasks and responsibilities. Usually the person has experience in Level 3 activities - rated in years and can be regarded as an overlap senior position where the individual has achieved the highest level of responsibility.

Level 4 Expected to be competent in chosen field and able to instruct others in the basics as well as take a low level responsibility and wWill supervise others to specified tasks, but will receive instructions from higher level. Usually the person has experience in Level 3 activities and/or has trained for post with relevant CPD training courses rated in years experience with a broad skillset and ability in report writing and supervision.

Level 4/5 Expected to be proficient in chosen field and be able to act independently on a project, with responsibility for the daily running though receiving strategic instruction from higher levels. Usually the person has experience in Level 4 activities and/or has trained for post with relevant CPD training courses rated in years experience and proven record. This grade is to acknowledge a senior Level 4 position where the individual has achieved the highest level of responsibility and ability in report writing and supervision.

Level 5 Expected to be proficient and capable in chosen field and be able to act fully independently on a project with responsibility for the daily running, though still receiving strategic instruction from higher levels. Usually the person has experience in
Level 4 activities or has trained for post with relevant CPD training courses or Level 4-5 training period - rated in years experience, proven record of ability and decision making. and ability in budgeting, report writing and leadership.

Level 5/6 Expected to be an experienced and proficient practitioner in chosen field with ability to make independent decisions, run projects simultaneously, deal with budgets and leading teams through projects to completion This grade is to acknowledge a senior Level 5 position where the individual has achieved the highest level of responsibility for that grade and ability in budgeting, report writing and team leadership.

Level 6
Expected to be highly experienced and proficient practitioner in chosen field with ability to make independent decisions, run several projects simultaneously, deal with budgets and leading teams through projects to completion. Usually the person has experience in Level 5 activities and has trained for post with relevant CPD training courses rated in years experience and considerable record of ability in management of projects, budgeting, report writing and team leadership.

Level 7
Professional knowledge: Will have the acknowledged authority and ability to draw on extensive experience to develop policy and solve complex issues. Will have leadership and extensive organisational skills. Decision making and influence: Will play a significant role in planning, setting standards for others to follow. Will be a decision maker for major teams and projects, and have the ability to justify decisions at highest level. Management of resources: Likely to manage a company, organisation or department and act as team leader/director. Will have financial responsibility of whole function and have skills to balance conflicting demands.

Predictions for 2016... - Crocodile - 30th March 2016

Granted the Level descriptions are more detailed but terms like project officer are not meaningless. A company paying L4 rates for employees it titles as PO's is either underpaying its PO's or is misleading other parties, county archaeologists, consultants, clients etc, about the level of experience being employed to run a site.

I have never seen a BAJR level grade referred to in a Written Scheme of Investigation, I have seen plenty of WSI's that say that a site will be, run by or monitered by an experienced archaeological project officer. It can't be reduced to a simple matter of nomenclature. It's either a matter of poor pay, or a matter misleading job titles, designed to mislead concerned parties about the experience and competence of the individuals being employed to run sites. It's a matter of poor pay or it's a matter of poor standards.

Predictions for 2016... - Marc Berger - 31st March 2016

Isn't it more a matter of not knowing how significant the archaeology is? Hostys 7 levels mean nothing to a self assessor like me. What is archaeologically poor pay? Somewhere in the Bajr records King Richard the cripple apparent has now got a skeletal scar from being hit with a JCB by an evaluation. Was that value for money? or is it established forever that that's poor pay? A qualification for a lot of hostys levels appear to be "Expected". Not by me or anybody I know.

Predictions for 2016... - BAJR - 31st March 2016

Quote:I have never seen a BAJR level grade referred to in a Written Scheme of Investigation, I have seen plenty of WSI's that say that a site will be, run by or monitered by an experienced archaeological project officer. It can't be reduced to a simple matter of nomenclature. It's either a matter of poor pay, or a matter misleading job titles, designed to mislead concerned parties about the experience and competence of the individuals being employed to run sites. It's a matter of poor pay or it's a matter of poor standards.

No reason why you should ... this is to ensure employers are aware of the responsibilities they are placing on a post. whatever they call it. I would expect that most companies class PO as a person who will be the organiser of a project office and field.

A supervisor L4 can also run a small site. (discuss)

It all comes down to what responsibilities are being placed on an individual.

Once again you are alluding to a company paying L4 rates for L5 responsibilities. -- in which case I have two questions... 1) was this PO job at L4 rates placed on BAJR? and 2) As I am still none the wiser about this allegation of underpaying - Can it be used as evidence of anything other than a possible single instance of undervalued staff... and one that the affected staff should and could deal with.

And Marc... if you count them... there are 10 levels. and they relate to employment... so self emplyed people/sole traders should not try and fit themselves into one category, but rather calculate their rate based on the job they are doing... not on the salary grade they are not getting Wink