The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined array key "avatartype" - Line: 783 - File: global.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 783 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined array key "avatartype" - Line: 783 - File: global.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 783 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined variable $awaitingusers - Line: 34 - File: global.php(844) : eval()'d code PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php(844) : eval()'d code 34 errorHandler->error
/global.php 844 eval
Warning [2] Undefined array key "style" - Line: 909 - File: global.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 909 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$lang_select_default - Line: 5010 - File: inc/functions.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions.php 5010 errorHandler->error
/global.php 909 build_theme_select
Warning [2] Undefined array key "additionalgroups" - Line: 7045 - File: inc/functions.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions.php 7045 errorHandler->error
/inc/functions.php 5030 is_member
/global.php 909 build_theme_select
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$archive_pages - Line: 2 - File: printthread.php(257) : eval()'d code PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php(257) : eval()'d code 2 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 257 eval
/printthread.php 117 printthread_multipage
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 160 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 160 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 165 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 165 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 160 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 165 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key 1 - Line: 801 - File: inc/class_parser.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_parser.php 801 errorHandler->error
/inc/class_parser.php 866 postParser->mycode_parse_post_quotes
[PHP]   postParser->mycode_parse_post_quotes_callback1
/inc/class_parser.php 751 preg_replace_callback
/inc/class_parser.php 431 postParser->mycode_parse_quotes
/inc/class_parser.php 187 postParser->parse_mycode
/printthread.php 179 postParser->parse_message
Warning [2] Undefined array key 1 - Line: 820 - File: inc/class_parser.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_parser.php 820 errorHandler->error
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key 1 - Line: 801 - File: inc/class_parser.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key 1 - Line: 820 - File: inc/class_parser.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function

BAJR Federation Archaeology
Are Standards in field Archaeology Slipping - Printable Version

+- BAJR Federation Archaeology (http://www.bajrfed.co.uk)
+-- Forum: BAJR Federation Forums (http://www.bajrfed.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: The Site Hut (http://www.bajrfed.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Thread: Are Standards in field Archaeology Slipping (/showthread.php?tid=5649)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Are Standards in field Archaeology Slipping - P Prentice - 26th May 2015

whereforartwerethou standards harked back to foreverwards? dostthou refer to yon oldendays of yawn wherein diversely capable archies did plunderon goodly through diverse monuments and cropmarkets in pursuit of the inedible, closely followed by yon ministry of funnywalks and dead parrots? any of us who have had occasion to reexcavate an earlier excavation can probably tell some tales and any of us who have been in search of an archive can probably wish we never found it. there have always been rubbish excavations and people continue to reference them as if they were infallible. now there are thousands of us plundering away digging pitiful percentages and writing pitiful interpretations making it slightly more difficult to pick through the miasma. maybe we need less venal decontamination and fewer excavators so we can do more archaeology

Are Standards in field Archaeology Slipping - Sikelgaita - 26th May 2015

P Prentice Wrote:whereforartwerethou standards harked back to foreverwards? dostthou refer to yon oldendays of yawn wherein diversely capable archies did plunderon goodly through diverse monuments and cropmarkets in pursuit of the inedible, closely followed by yon ministry of funnywalks and dead parrots?

Aha! I have always suspected that you and Unitof1 were one and the same and here, finally, is the written proof.Smile

Are Standards in field Archaeology Slipping - BAJR - 26th May 2015

laugh out loud funny posts. Perhaps standards can be bettered if we are poetic in our bewailing

Are Standards in field Archaeology Slipping - Dinosaur - 27th May 2015

Have to admit that, on occasion, the old ways are not always the best - was watching a guy on site yesterday hunting out any missing hobnails in one of those tricky graves where the feet were jammed up at the end, and thinking that poking away for hours with a teeny dental probe was probably marginally less efficient than e.g. mattocking the whole thing into a few sample tubs and sieving it later... Sad

Are Standards in field Archaeology Slipping - Marc Berger - 27th May 2015

Or using a detector of metal?

Are Standards in field Archaeology Slipping - Sikelgaita - 27th May 2015

Marc Berger Wrote:Or using a detector of metal?

Very badly corroded metal is not necessarily picked up by a metal detector.

Are Standards in field Archaeology Slipping - P Prentice - 27th May 2015

nor in a sieve............

Are Standards in field Archaeology Slipping - Dinosaur - 27th May 2015

Marc Berger Wrote:Or using a detector of metal?

Detectors are sh**e on gravel sites around there, seen a serious detectorist with good kit be unable to 'find' a big Fe buckle and two AS small-long brooches on a cleaned skelly on a site half a mile away

Are Standards in field Archaeology Slipping - Marc Berger - 28th May 2015

I once dug on a cemetery site. They only let me near one grave which I would like to suggest was selected at random. I dug mine and metal detected as I went. The other people didn't metal detect and they were such good diggers that they attempted to dig them in a day or so. I mostly remember finding a single tooth high up in the backfill. Heres a "buy product" of the as yet unpublished final report with the title "Excavations at the Hospital of St Mary Magdalen, Partney, Lincolnshire, 2003". You can find it for sale here, I wasn't asked to contribute apart from presumably my context sheets, one of the main authors was not on site and nor were the rest of the "contributors: http://www.biab.ac.uk/contents/200951 you can also buy a copy here http://www.maneyonline.com/doi/abs/10.1179/174581710X12790370815896 says its been downloaded 109 times in the last 12 months, I wonder what that might add up to over the next seventy years.. I cant say that I am registered with any of these sites so I don't know what it costs to get a copy, Presumably I have been paid for all my self employed efforts and don't seem to have any copyrights. It was a road scheme funded by government and council money. Anyway if you are rich enough to purchase a copy, can you workout which grave I dug?

Thing about standards is that it can sometimes make you stick out like a sore thumb at a wedding or rather I would like to imagine Pippa Middleton's derrière.

Are Standards in field Archaeology Slipping - P Prentice - 28th May 2015

Dinosaur Wrote:Detectors are sh**e on gravel sites around there, seen a serious detectorist with good kit be unable to 'find' a big Fe buckle and two AS small-long brooches on a cleaned skelly on a site half a mile away
never seen a detector that could work from half a mile away..........

still sounds like rubbish detecting though