The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined array key "avatartype" - Line: 783 - File: global.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 783 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined array key "avatartype" - Line: 783 - File: global.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 783 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined variable $awaitingusers - Line: 34 - File: global.php(844) : eval()'d code PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php(844) : eval()'d code 34 errorHandler->error
/global.php 844 eval
Warning [2] Undefined array key "style" - Line: 909 - File: global.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 909 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$lang_select_default - Line: 5010 - File: inc/functions.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions.php 5010 errorHandler->error
/global.php 909 build_theme_select
Warning [2] Undefined array key "additionalgroups" - Line: 7045 - File: inc/functions.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions.php 7045 errorHandler->error
/inc/functions.php 5030 is_member
/global.php 909 build_theme_select
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 160 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 160 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 165 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 165 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 160 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 165 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function

BAJR Federation Archaeology
Calling all Scottish Romanists - Printable Version

+- BAJR Federation Archaeology (http://www.bajrfed.co.uk)
+-- Forum: BAJR Federation Forums (http://www.bajrfed.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: The Site Hut (http://www.bajrfed.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Thread: Calling all Scottish Romanists (/showthread.php?tid=563)

Calling all Scottish Romanists - tom wilson - 29th May 2007

They're a small clan I know, but I was once told of a Roman fort up north that stood practically right next to a local settlement for a couple of generations and not a scrap of Roman tat was found in said Hibernian enclave. If true, it adds to the interesting question of whether the Scots were too canny/stubborn/unstratified/whatever to buy into the Pax Romana like us weak Sassanachs did (after the benefits had been carefully explained at the point of a pilum). Can anyone raise this out of the level of site-hut story with a decent reference or two?

I've never bought the 'it's too cold' interpretation, and I'm suspicious of macro-economic explanations based on the distance from Rome. Personally, I favour the idea that you'd need a particular kind of leadership structure that saw benefits for itself before the extant culture opened up to Romanisation, which perhaps the residents of north Scotland, north Germany etc. were lucky enough not to develop. I am only a disgruntled old semi-Marxist prehistorian though.

Calling all Scottish Romanists - wombat - 16th June 2007

what fort is it?

now get back to site 39/88...

Calling all Scottish Romanists - Sith - 26th June 2007

Surely you're not refering to Trimontium? Roman tat was found at a nearby hovel but it turned out to have been planted by a visiting student. My troops didn't let him get away.

D. Vader
Senior Consultant

Vader Maull & Palpatine
Archaeological Consultants

Your powers are weak, Curator

Calling all Scottish Romanists - BAJR Host - 27th June 2007

Off to Melrose on Monday... consultants work... you will rememeber nothing.........................

Seriously though... there is new stuff just appeared in my own county... I won't steal a thunder.. but it is showing that lowland scotland was a gnats chuff away from full romanisation!

"No job worth doing was ever done on time or under budget.."
Khufu

Calling all Scottish Romanists - Sith - 27th June 2007

Quote:quote:Originally posted by BAJR Host

Off to Melrose on Monday... consultants work... you will rememeber nothing.........................

Seriously though... there is new stuff just appeared in my own county... I won't steal a thunder.. but it is showing that lowland scotland was a gnats chuff away from full romanisation!

Hmm, the force is strong in this one. Please tell us more when you get the chance. I do like to keep in touch with the Pictish problem.

D. Vader
Senior Consultant

Vader Maull & Palpatine
Archaeological Consultants

Your powers are weak, Curator