The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined array key "avatartype" - Line: 783 - File: global.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 783 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined array key "avatartype" - Line: 783 - File: global.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 783 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined variable $awaitingusers - Line: 34 - File: global.php(844) : eval()'d code PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php(844) : eval()'d code 34 errorHandler->error
/global.php 844 eval
Warning [2] Undefined array key "style" - Line: 909 - File: global.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 909 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$lang_select_default - Line: 5010 - File: inc/functions.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions.php 5010 errorHandler->error
/global.php 909 build_theme_select
Warning [2] Undefined array key "additionalgroups" - Line: 7045 - File: inc/functions.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions.php 7045 errorHandler->error
/inc/functions.php 5030 is_member
/global.php 909 build_theme_select
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$archive_pages - Line: 2 - File: printthread.php(257) : eval()'d code PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php(257) : eval()'d code 2 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 257 eval
/printthread.php 117 printthread_multipage
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 160 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 160 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 165 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 165 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 160 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 165 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key 1 - Line: 801 - File: inc/class_parser.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_parser.php 801 errorHandler->error
/inc/class_parser.php 866 postParser->mycode_parse_post_quotes
[PHP]   postParser->mycode_parse_post_quotes_callback1
/inc/class_parser.php 751 preg_replace_callback
/inc/class_parser.php 431 postParser->mycode_parse_quotes
/inc/class_parser.php 187 postParser->parse_mycode
/printthread.php 179 postParser->parse_message
Warning [2] Undefined array key 1 - Line: 820 - File: inc/class_parser.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_parser.php 820 errorHandler->error
/inc/class_parser.php 866 postParser->mycode_parse_post_quotes
[PHP]   postParser->mycode_parse_post_quotes_callback1
/inc/class_parser.php 751 preg_replace_callback
/inc/class_parser.php 431 postParser->mycode_parse_quotes
/inc/class_parser.php 187 postParser->parse_mycode
/printthread.php 179 postParser->parse_message
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function

BAJR Federation Archaeology
messed around by new employer... - Printable Version

+- BAJR Federation Archaeology (http://www.bajrfed.co.uk)
+-- Forum: BAJR Federation Forums (http://www.bajrfed.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: The Site Hut (http://www.bajrfed.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Thread: messed around by new employer... (/showthread.php?tid=5570)

Pages: 1 2

messed around by new employer... - DaisyIrl - 12th March 2015

As an archaeologist with well over a decade of experience at various levels under my belt I saw the recent increase in demand for diggers here as a perfect opportunity to get back onsite. I was offered work (in writing) with a respected major employer, given a start date and a site so I packed up my life, rented out my house, sold my car as it wasnt needed in an urban area with lots of transport options, moved to the uk with my limited funds etc etc.
As im due to start very soon and i had not yet seen a contract i emailed asking for the usual details for my first day only to be told casually that they no longer have the place they offered me open until next month and instead offered me another dig. Thing is this new dig is 3 times further away from my home, over 2 hours each way, and about 3 times the commuting cost, which i cant afford right now. I feel i've been really messed around with zero consideration for what i went through to get here for this job. Any thoughts? Is there a commuting time limit for job offers? If employers are so needy for experienced diggers why are they acting like this?

messed around by new employer... - Marc Berger - 12th March 2015

how long did you think that the job/site you were offered was going to last? It seems the mistake you made was to set up a new home?

Can an employer not be trusted to honour their written offer in the uk?

You have to live somewhere Marc. Do you know what the local diggers views are on reasonable distances or commuting time? That would be useful to help guage what is possible here.

messed around by new employer... - Marc Berger - 12th March 2015

I didn't mean to sound uncaring. The building boom is back and we are back to all the usual problems, the foremost of which is that the "units" are full of people pretending to be professionals. This time the dodges will probably be based around zero hour contracts but yours has also the normal breach of contract based on uncertain start dates, location pay and conditions. I notice that you are wondering about "local" conditions, Britains probably got the full gamut, is the unit "local", are you supposed to go to the "office" first before site. Are they paying you yet? Reasonable distances also include living away. It sounds like you drive and are over the 25 insurance hurdle, could be handy to your employers, is everybody else having to travel 2 hours?

messed around by new employer... - P Prentice - 12th March 2015

DaisyIrl Wrote:As an archaeologist with well over a decade of experience at various levels under my belt I saw the recent increase in demand for diggers here as a perfect opportunity to get back onsite. I was offered work (in writing) with a respected major employer, given a start date and a site so I packed up my life, rented out my house, sold my car as it wasnt needed in an urban area with lots of transport options, moved to the uk with my limited funds etc etc.
As im due to start very soon and i had not yet seen a contract i emailed asking for the usual details for my first day only to be told casually that they no longer have the place they offered me open until next month and instead offered me another dig. Thing is this new dig is 3 times further away from my home, over 2 hours each way, and about 3 times the commuting cost, which i cant afford right now. I feel i've been really messed around with zero consideration for what i went through to get here for this job. Any thoughts? Is there a commuting time limit for job offers? If employers are so needy for experienced diggers why are they acting like this?

if as you say you have an offer with start date and place of work in writing you should insist that they honour that or if they cant they should offer you a comparable position in a similar location. if it will cost you more than it would in their written offer to accept their second offer you should ask for compensation to cover your losses until the initial offer is realised. this is not unreasonable and it will teach them to make you a written offer that they are not in a position to honour. i would be really f***d off but you should remain calm and be persistent.

Thank you both for your input, have calmed down a bit now and managed to get something more reasonable offered, phew, it was a bit of a shock to the system along with the rest of it. Here's to getting mucky again!

Well over 25 too and my persistence is returning rapidly.

messed around by new employer... - Dinosaur - 12th March 2015

Sorry, have come late to this (unexpectedly marooned machine-watching for most of week). Still a worthwhile thread if it serves as a warning to people to check (and keep checking) what they're signing up to. @ DaisyIrl - Hope the new job works out despite the bumpy start :face-approve:

Thanks Dinosaur, have heard all the excuses over the years and thought i was covered in this case.