The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined array key "avatartype" - Line: 783 - File: global.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 783 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined array key "avatartype" - Line: 783 - File: global.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 783 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined variable $awaitingusers - Line: 34 - File: global.php(844) : eval()'d code PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php(844) : eval()'d code 34 errorHandler->error
/global.php 844 eval
Warning [2] Undefined array key "style" - Line: 909 - File: global.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 909 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$lang_select_default - Line: 5010 - File: inc/functions.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions.php 5010 errorHandler->error
/global.php 909 build_theme_select
Warning [2] Undefined array key "additionalgroups" - Line: 7045 - File: inc/functions.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions.php 7045 errorHandler->error
/inc/functions.php 5030 is_member
/global.php 909 build_theme_select
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 160 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 160 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 165 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 165 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 160 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 165 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function

BAJR Federation Archaeology
Trainee not training - Printable Version

+- BAJR Federation Archaeology (http://www.bajrfed.co.uk)
+-- Forum: BAJR Federation Forums (http://www.bajrfed.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: The Site Hut (http://www.bajrfed.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Thread: Trainee not training (/showthread.php?tid=543)

Trainee not training - trowelfodder - 5th May 2007

I know this is a thread ive raised a number of times but am really concerned about the use of the job title (and payrates) of trainees in archaeology. I have been working for a unit which employs trainees on a lower wage but when starting at the company we were given a big talk on the training package and commitment which all sounded great however nearly 5months on and no training has been given and on a recent occassion a trainee with very little machine watching experience was left on her own to watch 6 machines! If they are going to be used in this way (although no one should be in that situatuion in my opinion) then surely the term trainee is a joke!

Train them or pay them - its no good just having a scheme on paper to show if anyone questions you these things are serious issues and archaeologists starting out on their careers deserve far more.

I think its about time there was a big crack down and some naming of wayward units so at least new diggers are informed of thier chances of training when they join unitsSadSad

Trainee not training - BAJR Host - 5th May 2007

Yes indeed, the concept has been discussed - and the bits of paper seen... I would hope the next step would be to talk to trainees and view the scheme progress. - Perhaps I will ask for proof of training.... after all to advertise on BAJR is a mark that the post offered is the actual post. If you apply for a post you can be assured that it has been checked by myself or it would not appear (except the odd mistake) - I will investigate further, and ask further questions.

training is an issue, and perhaps it is just a good idea not able to keep pace with a contracting enviroment, which brings us back to training BEFORE hitting the field!.

If an inexperieinced 'trainee' was left to watch 6 machiness, then this falls into a more serious catagory of H&S ... the HSE don't have grey areas...

"No job worth doing was ever done on time or under budget.."
Khufu

Trainee not training - the invisible man - 5th May 2007

There is nothing wrong with traineeship i.e. learning on the job without formalised procedures as such. This is to some extent inevitable, and used (maybe still is) quite commonplace in all sorts of jobs and professions. One example is to start as a sort of office-boy/girl while doing fairly menial "professional" tasks, building up experience and knowledge. In the good ole days there was such a thing as day release for college. I would actually be a little wary of the endless tick-box approach, but some sort of diary/record of achievement thing might be a good approach.

However, it goes without saying that a trainee should never ever be asked to carry out tasks that are beyond their experience or skill, should be supervised appropriately and indeed should receive training and instruction.What I'm driving at is this can be informal - perhaps (but not necessarily) in the form a mentor. The example by 'fodder is the extreme opposite of the concept.

We owe the dead nothing but the truth.

Trainee not training - BAJR Host - 6th May 2007

Invis is right... and thaat is why the concept is 'a good thing' IF the implimentation is carried out properly. Which keeps coming back to the training before hitting the mean streets/trenches.. AND people mentoring with the correct skills and training themselves.

Khufu

Trainee not training - Orkynowot - 6th May 2007

I posted this on a discusion board here before, I had on the job training as mechanic...an old style apprentiship, I worked 4 days in the work shop and went to collage once a week, this gave me practical experience that I needed but a good founding in the theory side as well...I was expected to learn and progress on my own as well as with my mentors help when I came across problems I needed help with, before they let me loose on anything I shadowed my mentor for 2 months...but to have to watch 6 machines on her own and be considered a trainee is a little out of order, Trowelfodder I'm with you if trainees are gonna be doing jobs that they shouldnt be doing then they should be paid an appropiate wage.
Having just started at new company, in January, I have had monthly meetings with my line manager to discuss any problems I have or they have while Im on a probation period, I found this really helpful as it helped me identify any training issues I needed, or that they had with what I did. These meetings have helped adjust to the companies workings quickly where as before I had been left on my own.
Also I have a habit of asking questions when I dont know something or not sure of something....Was once told by a trainee I was working with. "why do you ask questions...dont you feel stupid" my answer was simple "would rather feel stupid and know then stupid and not know"

May god go with you in all the dark places you must walk.

Trainee not training - BAJR Host - 6th May 2007

Quote:quote:Was once told by a trainee I was working with. "why do you ask questions...dont you feel stupid" my answer was simple "would rather feel stupid and know then stupid and not know"

Wise words indeed!

Khufu

Trainee not training - 1man1desk - 8th May 2007

Quote:quote:"why do you ask questions...dont you feel stupid"
I always take heart from Richard Feynman, a double Nobel laureate, who encouraged people to ask silly questions and not worry about knowing the right terms. He once wanted an anatomical diagram of a cat, but not knowing the right terms, asked for "a map of a cat". It got lots of laughs - but it also got him the info he needed.

If one of the world's greatest acknowledged geniuses can ask a silly question - so can I.

1man1desk

to let, fully furnished

Trainee not training - 1man1desk - 9th May 2007

Whether training is formal or informal, on-the-job learning is really irrelevant here. What is needed is a clear record of the skills to be learned, and a clear statement of how they are to be learned. There also needs to be a process for monitoring, measuring and recording progress, and providing evidence of the skills acquired.

Those things are all fundamental parts of the Graduate Development Programme in my organisation. The training itself is delivered by a mixture of formal and informal methods.

1man1desk

to let, fully furnished