The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined array key "avatartype" - Line: 783 - File: global.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 783 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined array key "avatartype" - Line: 783 - File: global.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 783 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined variable $awaitingusers - Line: 34 - File: global.php(844) : eval()'d code PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php(844) : eval()'d code 34 errorHandler->error
/global.php 844 eval
Warning [2] Undefined array key "style" - Line: 909 - File: global.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 909 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$lang_select_default - Line: 5010 - File: inc/functions.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions.php 5010 errorHandler->error
/global.php 909 build_theme_select
Warning [2] Undefined array key "additionalgroups" - Line: 7045 - File: inc/functions.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions.php 7045 errorHandler->error
/inc/functions.php 5030 is_member
/global.php 909 build_theme_select
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$archive_pages - Line: 2 - File: printthread.php(257) : eval()'d code PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php(257) : eval()'d code 2 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 257 eval
/printthread.php 117 printthread_multipage
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 160 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 160 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 165 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 165 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 160 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 165 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key 1 - Line: 801 - File: inc/class_parser.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_parser.php 801 errorHandler->error
/inc/class_parser.php 866 postParser->mycode_parse_post_quotes
[PHP]   postParser->mycode_parse_post_quotes_callback1
/inc/class_parser.php 751 preg_replace_callback
/inc/class_parser.php 431 postParser->mycode_parse_quotes
/inc/class_parser.php 187 postParser->parse_mycode
/printthread.php 179 postParser->parse_message
Warning [2] Undefined array key 1 - Line: 820 - File: inc/class_parser.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_parser.php 820 errorHandler->error
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key 1 - Line: 801 - File: inc/class_parser.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key 1 - Line: 820 - File: inc/class_parser.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function

BAJR Federation Archaeology
Nudge in the direction for the definition of a selfemployed archaeologist. - Printable Version

+- BAJR Federation Archaeology (http://www.bajrfed.co.uk)
+-- Forum: BAJR Federation Forums (http://www.bajrfed.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: The Site Hut (http://www.bajrfed.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Thread: Nudge in the direction for the definition of a selfemployed archaeologist. (/showthread.php?tid=5278)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

Nudge in the direction for the definition of a selfemployed archaeologist. - Marc Berger - 4th May 2014

Noticed this type of bajr job ad
Quote:looking for two fit and reasonably experienced field archaeologists based on a self-employed basis to assist in the fieldwork stage of a strip/record project at an RB/post-med site. The fieldwork is expected to take around four weeks to complete starting on the 19th May 2014. Offers are invited from self employed archaeologists for day rates and travel expenses if travelling from outside the immediate area.

On grounds of the self employed maintainning their tax status as an "archaeologist" shouldnt part of the offer be joint authorship and the right to publish any report that might be generated from the site?

Nudge in the direction for the definition of a selfemployed archaeologist. - kevin wooldridge - 4th May 2014

There is no such thing as a tax status 'archaeologist'.....the crazy mind of the 'Archaeologist formerly known as'....

Nudge in the direction for the definition of a selfemployed archaeologist. - RedEarth - 4th May 2014

Regardless of Marc's odd idea of tax status I do find this type of job advert pretty unacceptable. No specific pay rate is mentioned, only a figure between a couple of BAJR rates. So what happens if they get a 'better' (i.e. lower) offer? What if I contact them and say I'll do it for the equivalent of £15k per year, I'm desperate for work? Will they ring BAJR and tell him first? Will they flip! What does 'genuine self employed archaeologist' anyway, anyone can declare themselves self-employed whenever they feel like it, as far as I am aware.

Also, I like the bit about PPE, site kit and CSCS card, but no mention of insurance. Bit risky isn't it?

Nudge in the direction for the definition of a selfemployed archaeologist. - Marc Berger - 4th May 2014

Not sure what you are pointing out Kevin. Is it the word status or archaeologists or selfemployed. BAJR uses status 7 times in this document http://www.bajr.org/Documents/Employed_SelfEmployed.pdf You can try and work out status from this https://esi2calculator.hmrc.gov.uk/esi/app/investigate.action?entity=%2F&factId=complete as well
is it archaeologist what with the ifa going chartered. The advert says G2 G3 both require supervision by G4s who themselves arnt allowed to play with matches in bajrs pay world. I cant see if you require supervision, claiming self employment would get passed the HMRC.

As for the use of tax status I think that if you asked anybody in the uk what theirs was you would get a response along the lines of unemployed, employed or self employed with the grey area of self-unemployed.

Is it self employed archaeologists. The ad asks for self employed archaeologists..but the advert because it is in bajrs jobs page its structured in employment terms rather than contract terms. Maybe bajr should consider a contracts format for these projects.

by the way I have no problem with self employed archaeologists its just they should act like they are self employed and equal to anybody else in the production of the record and rights to it (beginning to sound like a chartered archaeologist).

Nudge in the direction for the definition of a selfemployed archaeologist. - Mike.T. - 4th May 2014

RedEarth Wrote:Regardless of Marc's odd idea of tax status I do find this type of job advert pretty unacceptable. No specific pay rate is mentioned, only a figure between a couple of BAJR rates. So what happens if they get a 'better' (i.e. lower) offer? What if I contact them and say I'll do it for the equivalent of £15k per year, I'm desperate for work? Will they ring BAJR and tell him first? Will they flip! What does 'genuine self employed archaeologist' anyway, anyone can declare themselves self-employed whenever they feel like it, as far as I am aware.

Also, I like the bit about PPE, site kit and CSCS card, but no mention of insurance. Bit risky isn't it?

If you're self employed you should have insurance anyway, so no need to mention it. I can't see a problem with the ad personally. They'll probably pick people with decent CV and who require a decent day rate, not necessarily the cheapest they can get.

I can't see why anyone employed as a self employed Archaeologist would have any rights over site publication reports either as you would be employed with the same site duties / rank someone on PAYE.

"I can't see why anyone employed as a self employed ".....

Nudge in the direction for the definition of a selfemployed archaeologist. - kevin wooldridge - 5th May 2014

One of the tests that HMRC suggests defines self employment is the following 'Can they decide what work to do, how and when to do the work and where to provide the services?'...... I would doubt that an advert which uses the word 'assist' fulfills the HMRC criteria. Therefore......

Nudge in the direction for the definition of a selfemployed archaeologist. - Mike.T. - 5th May 2014

Marc Berger Wrote:"I can't see why anyone employed as a self employed ".....

The ad is clear that the vacancy is working for someone else on a self employed basis ................

Nudge in the direction for the definition of a selfemployed archaeologist. - Marc Berger - 5th May 2014

Don't you mean that the invitation to tender is clear as mud that individuals defined under article 3 of the Valetta convention are required to undertake excavation.

Nudge in the direction for the definition of a selfemployed archaeologist. - kevin wooldridge - 5th May 2014

Mike.T. Wrote:The ad is clear that the vacancy is working for someone else on a self employed basis ................
Unfortunately that constitutes a 'master-servant' relationship, which with a very few exemptions, constitutes 'employment' rather than 'self-employment' under HMRC rules.....