The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined array key "avatartype" - Line: 783 - File: global.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 783 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined array key "avatartype" - Line: 783 - File: global.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 783 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined variable $awaitingusers - Line: 34 - File: global.php(844) : eval()'d code PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php(844) : eval()'d code 34 errorHandler->error
/global.php 844 eval
Warning [2] Undefined array key "style" - Line: 909 - File: global.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 909 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$lang_select_default - Line: 5010 - File: inc/functions.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions.php 5010 errorHandler->error
/global.php 909 build_theme_select
Warning [2] Undefined array key "additionalgroups" - Line: 7045 - File: inc/functions.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions.php 7045 errorHandler->error
/inc/functions.php 5030 is_member
/global.php 909 build_theme_select
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$archive_pages - Line: 2 - File: printthread.php(257) : eval()'d code PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php(257) : eval()'d code 2 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 257 eval
/printthread.php 117 printthread_multipage
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 160 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 160 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 165 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 165 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 160 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 165 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function

BAJR Federation Archaeology
Metal Detecting Q&A - Printable Version

+- BAJR Federation Archaeology (http://www.bajrfed.co.uk)
+-- Forum: BAJR Federation Forums (http://www.bajrfed.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: The Site Hut (http://www.bajrfed.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Thread: Metal Detecting Q&A (/showthread.php?tid=52)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14

Metal Detecting Q&A - john1504 - 13th December 2005

A standard is an object or specification which serves as an example to which others should conform, or by which they are judged. The setting of the standard is a goal which, when achieved, is seen as a mark of excellence.

The problem both archaeologists and detectorists have is in the disparity of our chosen fields. Metal Detecting is a hobby and, as such, does not have a GOVERNING body which can enforce decisions or ideals which Professions like Medicine or Law have, where to be 'struck off' would be the end of one's career. By it's very nature, a hobby cannot be controlled by force, other than to make it illegal, as has already been suggested.

Archaeology has a similar problem. There is no standard by which one can be judged, other than the attainment of an academic qualification which, as has been shown, without practical knowledge, is virtually worthless. Catch 22 situation....can't get job because don't have experience.....don't have experience cos can't get job.

From what I've seen (please correct me if I'm wrong), both on here and Britarch, the entrenched academia will fight tooth and nail to avoid any kind of change to 'their' system which may result in a loss of prestige or power. This leads to the creation of little 'empires' which in turn created the diversity of disciplines within the archaeological profession. Empires which, with all due respect, you will have great difficulty in overcoming.

Metal Detectorists, on the whole, are a funny bunch. They will spit and snap at each other over 'turf-rights', or identification of artefacts etc. But as soon as it is suggested that they be 'forced' to do something, they will unite against it. Doesn't matter what it is, they will NOT be forced. Once the threat of enforcement is taken away, and they are reasoned with, most will see the other point of view, and may even offer to help.

So, in answer to the question as to what standards are suggested. There are none. Standards are only useful if they are recognised, accepted, and conformed to. If a few decide to follow the standard, but most don't, then how can you call it a standard.

The archaeological community is in a similar position. Standards are good things to have. But who sets them. With archaeologists, the perception is the achievement of Diplomas etc...or perhaps the finding of some lost tomb or treasure. I am probably incorrect in this assumption, but if so, who DOES set the standard for Archaeologists?

Not so easy with Metal Detectorists. If one group says "this is the standard to which we should all be working"...another will say "'rubbish'...we have our own standards that we work to, why should we work to yours?"

Therein lies the problem for both groups. Until there is a true unification for each of the groups, the best policy is to work to your own standard, continually improving upon it to help achieve the maximum efficiency for your efforts.

Metal Detecting Q&A - john1504 - 14th December 2005

Curator Kid wrote:
Quote:quote:However, reading through the Valletta Convention, it seems to me that there are provisions that could indeed see metal detecting effectively banned as a hobby, if there was the political will to do so.

When I read through the convention, I was given the impression that Archaeologists would have a much more difficult time of it were the convention to be ratified (which, according to the provisions of Article 14 hasn't yet happened - though please correct me if I'm wrong), specifically under Article 3, which would virtually put an end to amateur archaeology. Other Articles, if implemented, would be financially restrictive.

Metal Detectorists were, initially, concerned about the convention, but soon realised that in truth, we didn't have much to worry about.

It was interesting to note that the Government issued a statement stating that there were enough provisions in place already to satisfy the convention.

I would like to know if the Archaeological community were aware of the potential threat to their profession at the time.

Metal Detecting Q&A - Steve-B - 14th December 2005

Quote:quote:Seeing as there already exists codes of practice within the hobby,

Where do these exist John..could you copy them here for us please?

Steve-B wrote:

Quote:quote:Where do these exist John..could you copy them here for us please?

You, a dealer, not know where to find the various codes of practice/conduct? Shame on you Steve. What do you use as a guidline when you go out MD'ing?

You should also know that permission will have to be obtained from the NCMD and FID to copy their Codes. All MD clubs also have codes of practice/conduct which they use, whether it be NCMD or FID related.

Metal Detecting Q&A - Hugh - 14th December 2005

Quote:quote:I would like to know if the Archaeological community were aware of the potential threat to their profession at the time.

Well as the vast majority of us are professional, and most amateur archaeologists take leadership from the professional bodies, we dont have anything to fear. This isn't a hobby, it's a job.

Sorry to see you go Steve, hope you reconsider.

Quote:quote:
Well as the vast majority of us are professional, and most amateur archaeologists take leadership from the professional bodies, we dont have anything to fear. This isn't a hobby, it's a job.

Sorry Hugh, I didn't make my question very clear. It wasn't the amateur issue I was asking about. It concerned the huge financial investment that would have to be considered before any excavation could take place. Costs with respect to surveys, conservation etc. The convention allows that each Party should arrange necessary public funding for these projects, but I believe the costs would be prohibitive, thus reducing the number of 'digs' allowed, thus reducing the number of professionals required for the work.

Article 3 of the convention does worry amateur archaeologists. I have no idea of how the amateurs are perceived by the professionals among you, but I have always seen them as an integral part of the archaelogical community (I stand to be corrected on this) and have contributed a great deal to the understanding of our heritage. If the practice of amateur archaeologists were to be curtailed, would this not have an impact of archaeology in Britain as a whole?

Metal Detecting Q&A - Hugh - 14th December 2005

The way I read Valletta, it barely does more than reiterate already established British standards (PPG16, AMAAA Act 1979) to the wider European audiance. It does have implications for making the SMR and HERs statutory and the governement is currently grapling with the issue. I can't see there being any serious change, but I hope that some of the districts more openly hostile to PPG16 will be forced into line by the changes. I also don't think it was Valletta that started these changes, rather pressure from the archaeological community, but I could be wrong.
When it talks about public money it refers to Local Government curatorship of the archaeological resource, e.g. smr and museums.
The excavations and conservation of finds is paid for by the developer so the mater of prohibitive costs doesn't often come up. I won't discuss the mater of prohibitive costs in a "developer pays for the archaeology" world here as it will take too long.

Which basically answers why detectorists were not too upset by the Convention. I did wonder about the 'public money' bit. So, in real terms, the money to pay for the conservation and in-situ preservation will, ultimately, come from budgets which have already been allocated to the various groups concerned...ie, no NEW money.

Probably just as well that the Convention hasn't come into force then.....[8D]

Metal Detecting Q&A - BAJR Host - 14th December 2005

Is it time then to produce a new set of guidlines that represents todays detecting rather than when they were originally set up...

If people have hard guidlines and standards it only increases repspect for the hobby and makes it even more useful to the wider 'heritage' issues. You rightly point out problems in archaeology, but we do now have codes of conducts and standards (see IFA - http://www.archaeologists.net/modules/icontent/index.php?page=15

Code of conduct
Code of approved practice for the regulation of contractual arrangements in field archaeology
Disciplinary code
Regulations for the Registration of Archaeological Organisations
Groups by-law
Standards
Introduction to Standards and Guidance (PDF)
Standard and Guidance for desk-based assessment (PDF)
Standard and Guidance for field evaluation (PDF)
Standard and Guidance for Excavation (PDF)
Standard and Guidance for an archaeological watching brief (PDF)
Standard and Guidance for the archaeological investigation and recording of standing buildings or structures (PDF)
Standard and Guidance for the collection, documentation, conservation and research of archaeological materials (PDF)
Appendices to Standards (PDF)
Policy Statements
For information on
Equal Opportunities
Health and Safety
The use of volunteers and students on archaeological projects
Environmental Protection

This gives clear (ish) standards which are seen as a minimum to adhere to... makes everyones life easier as you can see what you should be doing.

the NCMD Code is short and vague in places... ie... report unusual finds... but no definition of what is classed as unusual.. one persons common find is anothers' unusual.. and why report it only to the landowner - and there is no mention of why not to dig too deep, or what happens to subsurface features. Locations of finds in an area might make sense only after many years and only if finds are located properly. A hundred musket balls from a field are just so many musket balls until they are plotted.. then they could represent (as in one recent case) an unknown battleline from the Civil War.

There is also no mention of archaeologists or county archaeologists or SMRs or what they are used for... etc etc.

Could be time for a change... same as archaeology.

Smile

Another day another WSI?

Metal Detecting Q&A - Post-Med Potterer - 14th December 2005

Since the metal detectorists themselves have fallen out over providing their own codes of conduct (!), here they are.

Both in fact pretty useless, at least the NCMD one refers to the Treasure Act 1996 and uses the phrase 'Portable Antiquities'. As our Host points out, both are pretty dated - the NCMD one is 'Revised 2000' and the FID one is dated 1996.

A. National Council for Metal Detecting

1. Do not trespass. Obtain permission before venturing on to any land.
2. Respect the Country Code.Do not leave gates open, and do not damage crops or frighten animals.
3.Wherever the site, do not leave a mess or an unsafe surface for those who may follow. It is perfectly simple to extract a coin or other small object buried a few inches below the ground without digging a great hole. Use a suitable digging implement to cut a neat flap (do not remove the plug of earth entirely from the ground), extract the object, reinstate the grass, sand or soil carefully, and even you will have difficulty in locating the find spot again.
4. If you discover any live ammunition or any lethal object such as an unexploded bomb or mine, do not disturb it. Mark the site carefully and report the find to the local police and landowner.
5. Help keep Britain tidy. Safely dispose of refuse you come across.
6. Report all unusual historical finds to the landowner, and acquaint yourself with current NCMD policy relating to the Voluntary Reporting of Portable Antiquities.
7. Remember it is illegal for anyone to use a metal detector on a protected area(e.g. scheduled archaeological site, SSSI, or Ministry of Defence property) without permission from the appropriate authority.
8. Acquaint yourself with the definitions of Treasure contained in the Treasure Act 1996 and its associated Code of Practice, making sure you understand your responsibilities.
9. Remember that when you are out with your metal detector you are an ambassador for our hobby. Do nothing that might give it a bad name.
10. Never miss an opportunity to explain your hobby to anyone who asks about it.

B. Federation of Independent Detectorists

1. Get permission before detecting on private land. Never Trespass.
2. Make an agreement on sharing finds with the landowner to avoid any later misunderstandings.
3. Report all your finds to the landowner, even those that must be declared to the Coroner as well.
4. Remember to shut all gates, never walk through standing crops, do not startle animals or nesting birds.
5. Fill all holes, even on ploughed land or beaches. Never leave a mess or damage grass, a sharp trowel will cut a neat plug and once replaced and firmed in, the find spot will almost be invisible.
6. Most metal rubbish can be recycled, the Planet belongs to all of us, so dispose of your unwanted iron, lead, cans, silver paper etc. With care for the environment, and never leave junk on the site.
7. Never detect on a scheduled archaeological site, to do so is a criminal offence unless you have permission from the Secretary of State for National Heritage.
8. Report all Gold or Silver artefacts over 300 years old to the local Coroner, also hoards of coins or plate of any age or material.
9. All bombs, mines, ammunition or chemical containers, should have the find spot marked and be reported to the Police. Never attempt to move them yourself.
10. As a FID member you have a lot to be proud of, so always be friendly to people who ask about your hobby, help them find lost metal objects when requested and never break this "Code of Conduct" or give the hobby a bad image.