The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined array key "avatartype" - Line: 783 - File: global.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 783 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined array key "avatartype" - Line: 783 - File: global.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 783 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined variable $awaitingusers - Line: 34 - File: global.php(844) : eval()'d code PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php(844) : eval()'d code 34 errorHandler->error
/global.php 844 eval
Warning [2] Undefined array key "style" - Line: 909 - File: global.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 909 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$lang_select_default - Line: 5010 - File: inc/functions.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions.php 5010 errorHandler->error
/global.php 909 build_theme_select
Warning [2] Undefined array key "additionalgroups" - Line: 7045 - File: inc/functions.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions.php 7045 errorHandler->error
/inc/functions.php 5030 is_member
/global.php 909 build_theme_select
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$archive_pages - Line: 2 - File: printthread.php(257) : eval()'d code PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php(257) : eval()'d code 2 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 257 eval
/printthread.php 117 printthread_multipage
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 160 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 160 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 165 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 165 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 160 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 165 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key 1 - Line: 801 - File: inc/class_parser.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_parser.php 801 errorHandler->error
/inc/class_parser.php 866 postParser->mycode_parse_post_quotes
[PHP]   postParser->mycode_parse_post_quotes_callback1
/inc/class_parser.php 751 preg_replace_callback
/inc/class_parser.php 431 postParser->mycode_parse_quotes
/inc/class_parser.php 187 postParser->parse_mycode
/printthread.php 179 postParser->parse_message
Warning [2] Undefined array key 1 - Line: 820 - File: inc/class_parser.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_parser.php 820 errorHandler->error
/inc/class_parser.php 866 postParser->mycode_parse_post_quotes
[PHP]   postParser->mycode_parse_post_quotes_callback1
/inc/class_parser.php 751 preg_replace_callback
/inc/class_parser.php 431 postParser->mycode_parse_quotes
/inc/class_parser.php 187 postParser->parse_mycode
/printthread.php 179 postParser->parse_message

BAJR Federation Archaeology
Diversity - Printable Version

+- BAJR Federation Archaeology (http://www.bajrfed.co.uk)
+-- Forum: BAJR Federation Forums (http://www.bajrfed.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: The Site Hut (http://www.bajrfed.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Thread: Diversity (/showthread.php?tid=5125)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

Diversity - Wax - 18th November 2013

"The simple truth is that there are not many jobs available for new archaeologists."

Thanks Doug those figures are rather sobering.

Diversity - Doug - 20th November 2013

Cheers PP and Wax, glad you found it of use.

Diversity - John Wells - 26th November 2013

My impression, as an outsider looking in, is that many study archaeology as they would history. How many history undergraduates intend to be professional historians?
How many people after a first degree never want anything to do with their subject again? I started having doubts after only one year into my physics degree ;o)

Archaeology courses can attract those of a liberal arts, gentille disposition, whereas the subject in practice can be more like open air coal mining, involving prolonged physical effort in less than flattering postures.
Psychological profiling and selection by assault course and deprivation would not be out of place!

Those aiming for status, security and money will always go for the professions, law, banking, medicine, accountancy etc or anciliary, lower paid, but 'respectable' professions with some ethnic 'minorities' being very well represented.
Status, security and money are not the first things that come to mind with archaeology!
Working long-term as a professional field archaeologist strikes me as one of the most demanding selective processes, physically, psychologically and financially, which only the most determined (or lucky!) will endure.

As for studying for a degree, I believe it should always be about your passion for the subject and a time to enjoy life. Think postgraduate training, or at least a Masters, for anything job related, and then be prepared to travel anywhere.

Concepts of 'Class' are outmoded and pertain more to state of mind than upbringing and can be further confused by considerations of ethnicity.
That is not to say that wealth, influence and privilege will not always be there.

Diversity - Jack - 26th November 2013

Just a quickie....

I agree John, a concise summary of the world of archaeology.

Personally I was completely unaware you could do a degree let alone a job in archaeology until I'd failed my first degree. As a child/teenager all I had drummed into me from outside was maths, science and engineering...get good grades, get a good job.

But in all I don't get this thread............what's the question? Diversity? Are there cultural, class-based and educational biases in career choices?

Of course there are.

I can't see that the aspirations and career choices of a Palestinian growing up in the occupied west bank, a rich child from Chelsea, a child running from the turmoil in the Democratic Republic of Congo, a child living rough on the streets of govan, the child of a rich Chinese industrialist...etc etc being the same

But is this a bad thing?

Cultural diversity is as important as bio-diversity

Diversity - Tool - 26th November 2013

I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one that doesn't see the problem as it is oft portrayed. If there is a problem at all. As to the 'problem' of not enough jobs to go around, well, I only got into archaeology because of the lack of openings in professional beer and bed testing...

Diversity - Jack - 29th November 2013

.....or is there an assumption that because the majority of archaeologists working in this country are of European descent that there must be discrimination to cause this? Is it the issue of equal opportunities?

Or is that archaeology is missing out on wider perspectives from people brought up in different parts of the world??

I personally think that someones gender, sexuality, ethnicity, age, size, skin colour, accent, upbringing etc etc, are irrelevant to whether they can do the job or not.
But these factors may influence whether that individual wants to do the job!

Diversity - BAJR - 29th November 2013

Quote:I personally think that someones gender, sexuality, ethnicity, age, size, skin colour, accent, upbringing etc etc, are irrelevant to whether they can do the job or not.
But these factors may influence whether that individual wants to do the job!

Damn good quote... damn good

Diversity - Tool - 29th November 2013

BAJR Wrote:Damn good quote... damn good

Seconded. :face-approve: