The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined array key "avatartype" - Line: 783 - File: global.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 783 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined array key "avatartype" - Line: 783 - File: global.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 783 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined variable $awaitingusers - Line: 34 - File: global.php(844) : eval()'d code PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php(844) : eval()'d code 34 errorHandler->error
/global.php 844 eval
Warning [2] Undefined array key "style" - Line: 909 - File: global.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 909 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$lang_select_default - Line: 5010 - File: inc/functions.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions.php 5010 errorHandler->error
/global.php 909 build_theme_select
Warning [2] Undefined array key "additionalgroups" - Line: 7045 - File: inc/functions.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions.php 7045 errorHandler->error
/inc/functions.php 5030 is_member
/global.php 909 build_theme_select
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$archive_pages - Line: 2 - File: printthread.php(257) : eval()'d code PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php(257) : eval()'d code 2 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 257 eval
/printthread.php 117 printthread_multipage
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 160 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 160 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 165 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 165 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 160 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 165 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key 1 - Line: 801 - File: inc/class_parser.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_parser.php 801 errorHandler->error
/inc/class_parser.php 866 postParser->mycode_parse_post_quotes
[PHP]   postParser->mycode_parse_post_quotes_callback1
/inc/class_parser.php 751 preg_replace_callback
/inc/class_parser.php 431 postParser->mycode_parse_quotes
/inc/class_parser.php 187 postParser->parse_mycode
/printthread.php 179 postParser->parse_message
Warning [2] Undefined array key 1 - Line: 820 - File: inc/class_parser.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_parser.php 820 errorHandler->error
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key 1 - Line: 801 - File: inc/class_parser.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key 1 - Line: 820 - File: inc/class_parser.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function

BAJR Federation Archaeology
The next question: recording - Printable Version

+- BAJR Federation Archaeology (http://www.bajrfed.co.uk)
+-- Forum: BAJR Federation Forums (http://www.bajrfed.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: The Site Hut (http://www.bajrfed.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Thread: The next question: recording (/showthread.php?tid=5111)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15

The next question: recording - Dinosaur - 11th November 2013

If IFA aims for the highest standards of archaeological fieldwork, how come it condones the 'lego-brick' approach to archaeology currently practised by many of its largest RO members?

Don't worry, Tool, I've been digging since IFA was just a twinkle in someone's eye, and I personally still haven't met a digger who actually wanted to be a member (only supervisors and management ever seemed to be keen on it), most joined either because of pressure or because they'd been brainwashed into thinking it was 'the right thing to do' and had subsequently realised it was just a waste of money. The only people around here who are members got it from previous jobs and haven't got around to cancelling their memberships

The next question: recording - Tool - 11th November 2013

Please excuse my iggerence (coz I nose nuffin coz I iz new...), but what is meant by the 'Lego-brick' approach?

I don't know, first Marmite being besmirched and now Lego. What strange world have I wandered in to? Smile

The next question: recording - BAJR - 11th November 2013

Quote:The only people around here who are members got it from previous jobs and haven't got around to cancelling their memberships

I object... Smile I became one accidentally as I was a member of the AAI&S Smile

The next question: recording - Wax - 11th November 2013

Tool Wrote:I don't know, first Marmite being besmirched and now Lego. What strange world have I wandered in to? Smile

Besmirching Marmite with Lego:p:p or should that be Lego with Marmite? either way the image does things to my already aching head.

Seriously we have been down this old argument again and again and as usual we just end up with two camps who cannot be reconciled with each other. Is there anyone out there willing to try and put together a new organisation that does what we all want or are we stuck in a rut going round and round in circles?

The next question: recording - BAJR - 11th November 2013

Institute of grumpy old lags. ?

BAJR Wrote:I object... Smile I became one accidentally as I was a member of the AAI&S Smile

You hiding in this office somewhere? :0...better watch my Ps and Qs...

Tool Wrote:Please excuse my iggerence (coz I nose nuffin coz I iz new...), but what is meant by the 'Lego-brick' approach?

Seems to have become fashionable to have people just mindlessly half-digging bits of features badly, producing some good-looking records (but often really quite poor -as long as all the boxes are filled in etc) and then move on to the next ditch section, quantity-rather-than-quality-just-get-the-10% sample-fulfilled, then build something about what it all means from the individual 'lego-bricks' later back in the office (often by someone who had nothing to do with digging the site) - you can usually tell the diggers who were trained-up in this type of environment, they're the ones who couldn't find an edge if their lives depended on it and continually half-dig stuff since no one's ever taught them how to do it properly (but the paperwork's usually quite pretty) - REALLY scary when you get a PO who thinks this way of doing things is the dogs danglies :face-crying:

The next question: recording - kevin wooldridge - 11th November 2013

Dinosaur Wrote:Seems to have become fashionable to have people just mindlessly half-digging bits of features badly, producing some good-looking records (but often really quite poor -as long as all the boxes are filled in etc) and then move on to the next ditch section, quantity-rather-than-quality-just-get-the-10% sample-fulfilled, then build something about what it all means from the individual 'lego-bricks' later back in the office

Well I don't disagree with any of that, but is it really the fault of the IfA?

Seems to me that those responsible for creating the 'curatorial' system, PPG16 and its descendants and placing archaeology in 'Planning' rather than academia are more to blame. Sure some of those folk may have been members of IfA, but it wasn't IfA per se that created the mess that is UK archaeology......

The next question: recording - GnomeKing - 11th November 2013

"it wasn't IfA per se that created the mess that is UK archaeology......"

well yes of course,
,if you ignor the non-IFA activities of some important members,
,if you ignor nearly two decades of failure to strengthen the role of the monitors (any monitors) of commercial work,
,if you ignor the vested commercial interests of some people on significant commitees,
,if you ignor all the verbal fluff about wages and living standards that appears to have choked out any effective action whatsoever,
AND,
,if you ignor the incidents of crap work that ROs can still pass off without repucsusions,

The next question: recording - RedEarth - 11th November 2013

BAJR Wrote:I object... Smile I became one accidentally as I was a member of the AAI&S Smile

Not really on topic - but funny how many of the old MAAIS people (now new MIfAs) are putting both MAAIS and MIfA after their name, even though the AAI&S no longer exists. Call me cynical, but that looks a lot like they closed it down so no one else can join but think it is OK for them to carry on using the old (and far more relevant) title. No new illustrators can now ever be MAAISs. I'm sure BAJR wouldn't do such a thing.