The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined array key "avatartype" - Line: 783 - File: global.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 783 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined array key "avatartype" - Line: 783 - File: global.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 783 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined variable $awaitingusers - Line: 34 - File: global.php(844) : eval()'d code PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php(844) : eval()'d code 34 errorHandler->error
/global.php 844 eval
Warning [2] Undefined array key "style" - Line: 909 - File: global.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 909 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$lang_select_default - Line: 5010 - File: inc/functions.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions.php 5010 errorHandler->error
/global.php 909 build_theme_select
Warning [2] Undefined array key "additionalgroups" - Line: 7045 - File: inc/functions.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions.php 7045 errorHandler->error
/inc/functions.php 5030 is_member
/global.php 909 build_theme_select
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$archive_pages - Line: 2 - File: printthread.php(257) : eval()'d code PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php(257) : eval()'d code 2 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 257 eval
/printthread.php 117 printthread_multipage
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 160 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 160 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 165 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 165 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key 1 - Line: 801 - File: inc/class_parser.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_parser.php 801 errorHandler->error
/inc/class_parser.php 866 postParser->mycode_parse_post_quotes
[PHP]   postParser->mycode_parse_post_quotes_callback1
/inc/class_parser.php 751 preg_replace_callback
/inc/class_parser.php 431 postParser->mycode_parse_quotes
/inc/class_parser.php 187 postParser->parse_mycode
/printthread.php 179 postParser->parse_message
Warning [2] Undefined array key 1 - Line: 820 - File: inc/class_parser.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_parser.php 820 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 160 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 165 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key 1 - Line: 801 - File: inc/class_parser.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key 1 - Line: 820 - File: inc/class_parser.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function

BAJR Federation Archaeology
Bizarre ditch question time. - Printable Version

+- BAJR Federation Archaeology (http://www.bajrfed.co.uk)
+-- Forum: BAJR Federation Forums (http://www.bajrfed.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: The Site Hut (http://www.bajrfed.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Thread: Bizarre ditch question time. (/showthread.php?tid=5074)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Bizarre ditch question time. - Tool - 20th September 2013

Unitof1 Wrote:just had a long linear coming out of my.......

Thank you for muddying the waters. So to speak...

Bizarre ditch question time. - Unitof1 - 20th September 2013

come on in plan they are all long linears. ::::::::::::

Bizarre ditch question time. - richard cherrington - 4th October 2013

best way to learn about features is to dig them yourself. i have worked in construction quite a bit of the years and what i have seen and done on building sites has been every bit as useful as anything done on an archaeological site.

Bizarre ditch question time. - Jack - 4th October 2013

richard cherrington Wrote:best way to learn about features is to dig them yourself. i have worked in construction quite a bit of the years and what i have seen and done on building sites has been every bit as useful as anything done on an archaeological site.

Too true!

I learned loads about prehistoric/RB ditches/gullies, drainage and the practicalities of digging on the last site.

It was a long running large are excavation. It rained and flooded a lot.

We had to dig many drainage channels by hand to get at the archaeology. Had some experts on site too, ex-ditch diggers.

Learned lots.

Using the water you are draining as a 'level' and as a lubricant to get the nasty clay off your spade/shovel works a treat

Bizarre ditch question time. - Tool - 9th October 2013

My background in building does often give me cause to question assumptions on site. Sometimes I can be convinced, other times not. But it's nice to have a different perspective.

Bizarre ditch question time. - Dinosaur - 9th October 2013

I found a couple of bizarre ditches today on GoogleEarth, they seem to run around in circles, one inside the other, show as soil marks and, at least in 1945, were crossed by a hedge. Whole thing's about 30m in diameter and not mentioned by the HER. They don't seem to fit in well with Unit's 'linear' ditch view...wierd... }Smile ...

Bizarre ditch question time. - Unitof1 - 9th October 2013

I have come across a few ironage/bronze age round ditches which seemed to have been crossed out by Roman ditches but I must admit that the appearance of hedges in 1945 crossing bizarre circular running ditches is a whole new subject to me. It sounds like you have rings on top of rings, I think that there was an Olympics in Britain in 1948 which might work with your description but I suspect that the cropmarks in google earth have the same origin as my long linears. Do you find that they cause you to squint?

Bizarre ditch question time. - Jack - 10th October 2013

Unit, I would have thought you'd be an expert in early prehistoric ditches.............

The allotment of land into parcels.....possibly indicating ownership..............and dare I say it, prehistoric copyright?:face-stir:}Smile

Bizarre ditch question time. - P Prentice - 10th October 2013

Dinosaur Wrote:I found a couple of bizarre ditches today on GoogleEarth, they seem to run around in circles, one inside the other, show as soil marks and, at least in 1945, were crossed by a hedge. Whole thing's about 30m in diameter and not mentioned by the HER. They don't seem to fit in well with Unit's 'linear' ditch view...wierd... }Smile ...

[h=2]lin·e·ar[/h]/ˈlɪn[Image: thinsp.png]i[Image: thinsp.png]ər/ Show Spelled [lin-ee-er] Show IPA
adjective 1. of, consisting of, or using lines: linear design.

2. pertaining to or represented by lines: linear dimensions.

3. extended or arranged in a line: a linear series.

4. involving measurement in one dimension only; pertaining to length: linear measure.

5. of or pertaining to the characteristics of a work of art in which forms and rhythms are defined chiefly in terms of line.

weird indeed

Bizarre ditch question time. - Dinosaur - 10th October 2013

Think it's a bit late querying spelling on here!