The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined array key "avatartype" - Line: 783 - File: global.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 783 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined array key "avatartype" - Line: 783 - File: global.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 783 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined variable $awaitingusers - Line: 34 - File: global.php(844) : eval()'d code PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php(844) : eval()'d code 34 errorHandler->error
/global.php 844 eval
Warning [2] Undefined array key "style" - Line: 909 - File: global.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 909 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$lang_select_default - Line: 5010 - File: inc/functions.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions.php 5010 errorHandler->error
/global.php 909 build_theme_select
Warning [2] Undefined array key "additionalgroups" - Line: 7045 - File: inc/functions.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions.php 7045 errorHandler->error
/inc/functions.php 5030 is_member
/global.php 909 build_theme_select
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$archive_pages - Line: 2 - File: printthread.php(257) : eval()'d code PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php(257) : eval()'d code 2 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 257 eval
/printthread.php 117 printthread_multipage
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 160 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 160 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 165 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 165 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 160 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 165 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function

BAJR Federation Archaeology
Newbie seeking advice - Printable Version

+- BAJR Federation Archaeology (http://www.bajrfed.co.uk)
+-- Forum: BAJR Federation Forums (http://www.bajrfed.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: The Site Hut (http://www.bajrfed.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Thread: Newbie seeking advice (/showthread.php?tid=5047)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14

Newbie seeking advice - kevin wooldridge - 25th July 2013

Some employers supply hand tools, PPE, boots...others don't supply all you will need, some it seems very little. To be on the safe side I would take boots, waterproofs (English summers!!), a trowel.....some employers don't like you wearing waterproofs/hi-vis emblazoned with the name of a rival firm, some don't care........I guess the same basics you might take to any construction site...and all the appropriate paperwork (P45, passport, driving licence, CSCS card....)

Newbie seeking advice - ladydigger - 25th July 2013

Hi Tool,

Well done on getting a job. I started as a trainee on a large scale urban dig back in 2001 and I'm still digging. The first day was a bit scary and overwhelming. Just make sure you turn up at the right place and on time. Hopefully, you will be put with a more experienced person who will show you the ropes.
As for kit, the only essential thing to take is a 4 inch pointed trowel. WHS was the best make but I've heard people say they aren't as good as they used to be. I also have a line level, string, 6 inch nails, rubber, 4H/6H pencils, black (never blue!) ball point pen, a permanent marker pen and a scale ruler. These things should be available to you from your employer though. Your employer should also provide you with the PPE required but you might prefer to get your own safety boots.

Good luck.

Newbie seeking advice - Tool - 25th July 2013

Thank you kind Lady and Kevin. Looking forward to it, but with a hint of trepidation. Brave new world and all that...

OK, well I have all that (and occasionally know how to use it... Wink), so there shouldn't be any unpleasant surprises on that front. PPE arriving on site Monday apparently! Went for their boots, in the hope they suck in water slightly slower than mine do. And if theirs prove too uncomfortable, I have mine as a back-up.
I can't imagine the first day will be overly busy - Site induction, off to the local centre for CSCS card test, that's half the day done already! Smile

Thanks again,
The Tool.

Newbie seeking advice - Dinosaur - 25th July 2013

And some lunch!

Newbie seeking advice - Tool - 25th July 2013

Ah yes, back to the manky cheese sandwiches...
OK, a thought has just occurred to me. If this crowd is that desperate for labour they're putting me in for my CSCS card, maybe that's a sign that things are looking up in the industry? Otherwise I'd have thought they'd have had loads of better qualified people crying out for the work. Or has it got so bad that people have just given up chasing the work?

Newbie seeking advice - P Prentice - 26th July 2013

hello tool - good luck in your chosen endevour - the rewards are there for the taking.
@ bajrites - unit's points are valid - can we have a contribution from some of those qualified staff who were laid off over the last few years?

Newbie seeking advice - Tool - 26th July 2013

Thanks PP.

Newbie seeking advice - BAJR - 27th July 2013

Quote:@ bajrites - unit's points are valid - can we have a contribution from some of those qualified staff who were laid off over the last few years?

I expect not, given that the chosen career has chewed em up and spat em out with less care than a conservative in charge of a coal mine

Newbie seeking advice - Misty - 27th July 2013

I was made redundant at the end of 2008. Got a short (2 month) contract in April 2009, then nothing at all. I got a job in Jan 2010, not in archaeology, but it is archiving so my experience in archaeology was regarded as relevant. It's a permanent, pensionable (sorry Unit!), and safe job. I've had regular small pay increases and a promotion so I now get paid much more than I would in archaeology. The downside is that it is totally boring. I go on volunteer digs when I can, just to keep my eye in. I'd chuck the job in instantly if a permanent archaeology job came up, even with a big drop in pay, but I can't bear the heartache and financial loss involved in short-term contracts and then having nothing.

Newbie seeking advice - Unitof1 - 29th July 2013

Misty nothing wrong with an upfront funded pension. Any bile that might have been construed was only ever intended for the unfunded variety and all those that still sup on them.