The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined array key "avatartype" - Line: 783 - File: global.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 783 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined array key "avatartype" - Line: 783 - File: global.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 783 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined variable $awaitingusers - Line: 34 - File: global.php(844) : eval()'d code PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php(844) : eval()'d code 34 errorHandler->error
/global.php 844 eval
Warning [2] Undefined array key "style" - Line: 909 - File: global.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 909 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$lang_select_default - Line: 5010 - File: inc/functions.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions.php 5010 errorHandler->error
/global.php 909 build_theme_select
Warning [2] Undefined array key "additionalgroups" - Line: 7045 - File: inc/functions.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions.php 7045 errorHandler->error
/inc/functions.php 5030 is_member
/global.php 909 build_theme_select
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$archive_pages - Line: 2 - File: printthread.php(257) : eval()'d code PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php(257) : eval()'d code 2 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 257 eval
/printthread.php 117 printthread_multipage
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 160 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 160 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 165 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 165 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 160 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 165 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key 1 - Line: 801 - File: inc/class_parser.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_parser.php 801 errorHandler->error
/inc/class_parser.php 866 postParser->mycode_parse_post_quotes
[PHP]   postParser->mycode_parse_post_quotes_callback1
/inc/class_parser.php 751 preg_replace_callback
/inc/class_parser.php 431 postParser->mycode_parse_quotes
/inc/class_parser.php 187 postParser->parse_mycode
/printthread.php 179 postParser->parse_message
Warning [2] Undefined array key 1 - Line: 820 - File: inc/class_parser.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_parser.php 820 errorHandler->error
File Line Function
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key 1 - Line: 801 - File: inc/class_parser.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key 1 - Line: 820 - File: inc/class_parser.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function

BAJR Federation Archaeology
why can't I just find some work? - Printable Version

+- BAJR Federation Archaeology (http://www.bajrfed.co.uk)
+-- Forum: BAJR Federation Forums (http://www.bajrfed.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: The Site Hut (http://www.bajrfed.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Thread: why can't I just find some work? (/showthread.php?tid=5045)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

why can't I just find some work? - Tool - 23rd July 2013

Keep the faith! Had the absolute shock and surprise this morning to be offered work on a site near home, with no previous commercial experience and years in another industry. OK, so it's starting at the bottom, but it's a start. So it is possible to find the work if it's what you want to do, you display enthusiasm and keep on trying. Good luck!

Oh, and I don't have a degree in archaeology, either...

why can't I just find some work? - Doug - 23rd July 2013

P Prentice Wrote:sorry but posting on here does not equal archaeology nor does it make you an archaeologist - any more than obtaining a degree in archaeology does either

All right, I'll be the one to bite, what makes you (or anyone) an archaeologists?

And down the rabbit hole we gooooooooooooooooooooooooooo...... please no one actually answer this or the thread will be hijacked

I would say that posting here, talking with people, asking questions, is more likely to land someone a job as an "archaeologists" than classes at university. Which is more of the point I was making than the literal posting = archaeology. Sorry if that was not too clear there.

I guess I should also clarify- asking questions will make you a good or great archaeologists. Though I still think asking questions is archaeology, but that is just semantics.

Doug Wrote:All right, I'll be the one to bite, what makes you (or anyone) an archaeologists?

And down the rabbit hole we gooooooooooooooooooooooooooo...... please no one actually answer this or the thread will be hijacked

I would say that posting here, talking with people, asking questions, is more likely to land someone a job as an "archaeologists" than classes at university. Which is more of the point I was making than the literal posting = archaeology. Sorry if that was not too clear there.

I guess I should also clarify- asking questions will make you a good or great archaeologists. Though I still think asking questions is archaeology, but that is just semantics.

That's how I've got to where I am, by asking questions.

why can't I just find some work? - Dinosaur - 23rd July 2013

You've clearly mastered the trick of asking the right ones, keep it up! :face-approve:

I suspect there are many archaeologists around here that would disagree with you... Wink
Nah, people can either make the effort to answer, or they can't. You still learn!

I guess what I was trying to say was that by asking even what you might perceive as a stupid question you are displaying that desire to learn. Displaying oyur lack of knowledge is not always a bad thing - no one, not even some of the contributors to these forums, knows everything... Wink

why can't I just find some work? - Unitof1 - 23rd July 2013

it sounds more like bonesgirl should have done a museum conservation degree from the outset. What should be questioned is why anybody should think that these trumpeted up masters are any good. also why is it that some unis try to make conservation some post grad ripoff -ucl and others start with the undergraduate Cardiff. Out of interest bonegirl have you got any science "A" levels.

why can't I just find some work? - Bonesgirl - 23rd July 2013

Unitof1 Wrote:it sounds more like bonesgirl should have done a museum conservation degree from the outset. What should be questioned is why anybody should think that these trumpeted up masters are any good. also why is it that some unis try to make conservation some post grad ripoff -ucl and others start with the undergraduate Cardiff. Out of interest bonegirl have you got any science "A" levels.

I don't have any A levels if I'm brutally honest, I went from school straight into work and from there after some time to my undergrad as a mature student. I'm starting a 4 month long distance chemistry course in september which will get me the last thing I need to get onto my masters course.

I did the archaeology degree because when I first started I wasn't entirely sure what my end game was. I was in a dead end job with no chance of progressing and had had enough of call centres and such.

While on one side you maybe right that doing a museum course from the outset was a possibility, the archaeology has I felt given me useful tools for other things such as an understanding of stratification and harris matrices, moderate understanding of human bones and charred seed/plant remains. Furthermore from my placement year I heard from several museums that having front of house staff who were also archaeologists would be beneficial especially places such as Jorvik as they can bring a deeper understanding to the role and the explanation of excavations and so forth.

So while yes I see myself working in museums in the long run I feel the degree as well as the placement year at Bradford has given me some arsenal that if I had gone straight into museum work I may not have had.

why can't I just find some work? - Unitof1 - 23rd July 2013

Its my contention that most museums in this country are seriously bust and that they are a rip off. They particularly rip of archaeologists. [EDIT- naming companies] Have you got a museum that you would like to work in and doing what?

why can't I just find some work? - P Prentice - 26th July 2013

Doug Wrote:I would say that posting here, talking with people, asking questions, is more likely to land someone a job as an "archaeologists" than classes at university.

doug. both these statements, however well-meaning, fall very short of making sense. whilst i can see why you think they are worth saying i have a couple of minutes in port.
the first is a great advert for bajr and his excellent forum but has no bearing on fact or even statistics
the second is a fallacy as any idiot can ask a question ...........

why can't I just find some work? - Wax - 26th July 2013

P Prentice Wrote:any idiot can ask a question ...........
And by asking the questions and listening to the answers they are on the road to becoming less of an idiot.