The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined array key "avatartype" - Line: 783 - File: global.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 783 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined array key "avatartype" - Line: 783 - File: global.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 783 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined variable $awaitingusers - Line: 34 - File: global.php(844) : eval()'d code PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php(844) : eval()'d code 34 errorHandler->error
/global.php 844 eval
Warning [2] Undefined array key "style" - Line: 909 - File: global.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 909 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$lang_select_default - Line: 5010 - File: inc/functions.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions.php 5010 errorHandler->error
/global.php 909 build_theme_select
Warning [2] Undefined array key "additionalgroups" - Line: 7045 - File: inc/functions.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions.php 7045 errorHandler->error
/inc/functions.php 5030 is_member
/global.php 909 build_theme_select
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$archive_pages - Line: 2 - File: printthread.php(257) : eval()'d code PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php(257) : eval()'d code 2 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 257 eval
/printthread.php 117 printthread_multipage
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 160 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 160 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 165 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 165 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 160 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 165 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key 1 - Line: 801 - File: inc/class_parser.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_parser.php 801 errorHandler->error
/inc/class_parser.php 866 postParser->mycode_parse_post_quotes
[PHP]   postParser->mycode_parse_post_quotes_callback1
/inc/class_parser.php 751 preg_replace_callback
/inc/class_parser.php 431 postParser->mycode_parse_quotes
/inc/class_parser.php 187 postParser->parse_mycode
/printthread.php 179 postParser->parse_message
Warning [2] Undefined array key 1 - Line: 820 - File: inc/class_parser.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_parser.php 820 errorHandler->error
File Line Function
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key 1 - Line: 801 - File: inc/class_parser.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_parser.php 801 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key 1 - Line: 820 - File: inc/class_parser.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_parser.php 820 errorHandler->error

BAJR Federation Archaeology
Is this Restriction of Trade? - Printable Version

+- BAJR Federation Archaeology (http://www.bajrfed.co.uk)
+-- Forum: BAJR Federation Forums (http://www.bajrfed.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: The Site Hut (http://www.bajrfed.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Thread: Is this Restriction of Trade? (/showthread.php?tid=5037)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Is this Restriction of Trade? - BAJR - 29th June 2013

Quote:I have notice in recent years job adverts asking for an equivalent level of experience that would make you eligible for IFA membership rather than asking for membership which is fair enough.

I wonder how that happened ?

BAJR works in mysterious ways. that is the wording I will allow on the adverts as it is fair and appropriate ... and no you get no discount on your insurance. mine is due again... I wish they would Smile

Is this Restriction of Trade? - BAJR - 29th June 2013

I wonder if the BAJR List is approved. as I am stricter than the IfA on membership Smile

Is this Restriction of Trade? - Unitof1 - 29th June 2013

isnt it a little pointless to wonder about a small matter of restriction of trade when this charity is both curator and contrator. The whole of wales is a restriction of trade from that view point. From their accounts they are working part time, have made voluntary redundancies and have a pension deficit. No presure on there then to get rid of any compertition and jack the price up. In fact I am surprised that any independants could survive there, probably a misserable experiece to boot.

Maybe those restricted from tradeing should try to get at the service level agrements that these charities have with the councils and ask to get on the tender for them. Maybe poke their knoses into the grant subsidies that they get from Cadw

My appologies to hosty if he gets telephone calls over this and loses members and respect

Is this Restriction of Trade? - Martin Locock - 30th June 2013

There is nothing on the CPAT website to imply that only ROs will be allowed to work in the area.
http://www.cpat.org.uk/services/dc/dc.htm

As planning advisers they are often asked how to find a contractor to undertake the required work, and they have chosen to provide a link to the IfA RO directory and to offer guidance.

Developers are free to locate and use any contractor they wish subject to the approval of CPAT as planning advisers. There is nothing to indicate that RO status would be a pre-condition to such approval, any more that it was in the past when CPAT provided their own list of contractors.

To answer's BAJR's point about whether a Trust director has the power to decide how the Trust undertakes its operations, the answer is yes, subject to the oversight of the trustees.

Is this Restriction of Trade? - vulpes - 30th June 2013

Thanks for clearing that up Martin. So, a bit of a non-story then really. CPAT are basically doing what many curators already do. Looks like good practice to me. Locally held lists of contractors present more of a risk of trade restraint.

Is this Restriction of Trade? - BAJR - 30th June 2013

Thank you Martin.

If I was to tell you that although the website has no mention of this, - this is now the case. that clients are now only recommended to choose from ROs or MiFAs and the Dyfed will only accept briefs from those who are IfA members, ( actually written into the brief for tenders ) --- does this change matters? And I expect then the Trustees have approved this action.

What Vulpes says is partially true. But this does not get away from the interesting question. Am I incompetant if I am not in the IfA and competent if I am? To me, it SHOULD be about a company having RO status or MIFA membership to be seen as a sign of competence that would make a client think... I will choose these over another company which is not. Surely there must be a confidence in being an RO.. that it means something? that meing a Member of the IfA is by itself enough to show that you are 'better' why the need to ensure that there is no other group .... ? As to the list thing. well you could ask CPAT why they have a locally held list of only IfA contractors. ?

( pity Vulpes had to add some pointless jibe - if only he could have curbed that insertion the rest of the post would have been great )

Is this Restriction of Trade? - Martin Locock - 30th June 2013

I don't know of thedetails here, but there seems a clear distinction between any person or organisiation giving professional advice and imposing a mandatory requirment.
If anyone asked me for advice I would advise them to use an RO or MIfA. If that is what CPAT are doing that is their choice.

I don't understand what you mean by Dyfed 'accepting briefs' from IfA members, or writing it into tenders. Dyfed writes briefs and does not normally commission archaeological work.

Is this Restriction of Trade? - vulpes - 30th June 2013

I'm not sure what you mean BAJR by pointless jibe? This is a bit of a non-story.

As for:
Quote:ask CPAT why they have a locally held list of only IfA contractors. ?
As Martin has indicated, this isn't the case. CPAT wisely don't have a list at all, but direct people to the list held by the professional body for archaeologists. I can't see anything controversial about that. This thread seems a bit pointless to me really as we've now established that the title has no substance behind it. I may return when there's actually something new to discuss. Rolleyes

Is this Restriction of Trade? - kevin wooldridge - 30th June 2013

vulpes Wrote:This is a bit of a non-story..... CPAT wisely don't have a list at all, but direct people to the list held by the professional body for archaeologists....This thread seems a bit pointless to me really as we've now established that the title has no substance behind it...
To which it should be added that in the 31 years or so that IfA has been established (and despite any fluff or disgruntlement here and anywhere else regarding restraint of trade, cabals, illegality etc), nobody has challenged in a judicial arena, a curator's decision to recommend or not recommend an IfA member or RAO. Remembering also before 1990 and the IfA decision not to support the geographical integrity of established archaeological bodies, that there were plenty of de facto monopolies and 'cozy' arrangements in UK archaeology. Again all exisiting, functioning and administered without judicial challenge....

I think as Vulpes suggests the title of the thread (as written) has no substance behind it, but of course fear over the future of archaeology in general probably still has a little steam left in the boiler.....

Is this Restriction of Trade? - Dinosaur - 30th June 2013

kevin wooldridge Wrote:...nobody has challenged in a judicial arena...

Doubt most of the commercial archaeological outfits in Britain could afford to, as IFA well knows...:face-thinks: