The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined array key "avatartype" - Line: 783 - File: global.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 783 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined array key "avatartype" - Line: 783 - File: global.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 783 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined variable $awaitingusers - Line: 34 - File: global.php(844) : eval()'d code PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php(844) : eval()'d code 34 errorHandler->error
/global.php 844 eval
Warning [2] Undefined array key "style" - Line: 909 - File: global.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 909 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$lang_select_default - Line: 5010 - File: inc/functions.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions.php 5010 errorHandler->error
/global.php 909 build_theme_select
Warning [2] Undefined array key "additionalgroups" - Line: 7045 - File: inc/functions.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions.php 7045 errorHandler->error
/inc/functions.php 5030 is_member
/global.php 909 build_theme_select
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$archive_pages - Line: 2 - File: printthread.php(257) : eval()'d code PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php(257) : eval()'d code 2 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 257 eval
/printthread.php 117 printthread_multipage
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 160 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 160 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 165 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 165 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 160 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 165 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function

BAJR Federation Archaeology
Anthrax question - Printable Version

+- BAJR Federation Archaeology (http://www.bajrfed.co.uk)
+-- Forum: BAJR Federation Forums (http://www.bajrfed.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: The Site Hut (http://www.bajrfed.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Thread: Anthrax question (/showthread.php?tid=4879)

Pages: 1 2

Anthrax question - Dinosaur - 15th April 2013

Cheers for that, had wondered what had happened to it. :face-approve:

Presumably the generally evil environment in most waterlogged tanning pits should make them safe to dig though, apart from the usual hazards like having your skin burnt off (I'll wear gloves next time!)

Anthrax question - Misty - 15th April 2013

Yes, I'd wear gloves when on any site with "gloopy" animal remains, especially skins/fur. The spores get into sores or cuts on the skin in 95% of cases, only 5% are air borne (I've just looked it up). The warfare threat would be from anthrax spores spread by aerosol (somehow!). The latest outbreak was a new type as it was directly injected - the anthrax had got into a supply of heroin somehow. The source of that outbreak has not been found.

Anthrax question - Dinosaur - 16th April 2013

Main problem on that tannery job was the stuff they'd been tanning the hides in, and had stayed in the pits for 100 yrs cooking away quietly - smelt like creosote and definitely corrosive. Had preserved the timber pit-structures well though :face-approve:

Anthrax question - kevin wooldridge - 16th April 2013

Most tanning pits used a mixture of oak bark and urine.....but my experience suggests there is also some reaction with the clay that lined the pits, perhaps creating some kind of lye that would explain the corrosive effect on modern skin. Beaing in mind the original intention of the pit that is hardly surprising....

Anthrax question - CARTOON REALITY - 16th April 2013

Quote:but my experience suggests there is also some reaction with the clay that lined the pits, perhaps creating some kind of lye that would explain the corrosive effect on modern skin
Lye was actively used in the early part of the tanning process to burn hair and residual flesh off the animal skin, I've dug tanning pits full of the stuff. I presume this happened quickly and skins were then washed. The oak bark and urine was the next (and most time consuming) step (I've dug lots of those pits too.)
These two sorts of pits are often found together - in Dublin at least.
I saw it happening once in present day Morocco, disgusting work.

Anthrax question - Bones - 19th April 2013

Thanks everyone for your help with my query Smile
Much appreciated!

Anthrax question - CARTOON REALITY - 22nd April 2013

ANd speaking of tanning pits:
http://www.vastpublicindifference.com/2009/11/101-ways-part-114-was-drouned-in-tan.html

Anthrax question - Dinosaur - 22nd April 2013

****er the gloves, waders and a snorkel next time for me! :0