The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined array key "avatartype" - Line: 783 - File: global.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 783 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined array key "avatartype" - Line: 783 - File: global.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 783 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined variable $awaitingusers - Line: 34 - File: global.php(844) : eval()'d code PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php(844) : eval()'d code 34 errorHandler->error
/global.php 844 eval
Warning [2] Undefined array key "style" - Line: 909 - File: global.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 909 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$lang_select_default - Line: 5010 - File: inc/functions.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions.php 5010 errorHandler->error
/global.php 909 build_theme_select
Warning [2] Undefined array key "additionalgroups" - Line: 7045 - File: inc/functions.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions.php 7045 errorHandler->error
/inc/functions.php 5030 is_member
/global.php 909 build_theme_select
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$archive_pages - Line: 2 - File: printthread.php(257) : eval()'d code PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php(257) : eval()'d code 2 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 257 eval
/printthread.php 117 printthread_multipage
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 160 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 160 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 165 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 165 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 160 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 165 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key 1 - Line: 801 - File: inc/class_parser.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_parser.php 801 errorHandler->error
/inc/class_parser.php 866 postParser->mycode_parse_post_quotes
[PHP]   postParser->mycode_parse_post_quotes_callback1
/inc/class_parser.php 751 preg_replace_callback
/inc/class_parser.php 431 postParser->mycode_parse_quotes
/inc/class_parser.php 187 postParser->parse_mycode
/printthread.php 179 postParser->parse_message
Warning [2] Undefined array key 1 - Line: 820 - File: inc/class_parser.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_parser.php 820 errorHandler->error
/inc/class_parser.php 866 postParser->mycode_parse_post_quotes
[PHP]   postParser->mycode_parse_post_quotes_callback1
/inc/class_parser.php 751 preg_replace_callback
/inc/class_parser.php 431 postParser->mycode_parse_quotes
/inc/class_parser.php 187 postParser->parse_mycode
/printthread.php 179 postParser->parse_message
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function

BAJR Federation Archaeology
IfA Salary Survey - Printable Version

+- BAJR Federation Archaeology (http://www.bajrfed.co.uk)
+-- Forum: BAJR Federation Forums (http://www.bajrfed.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: The Site Hut (http://www.bajrfed.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Thread: IfA Salary Survey (/showthread.php?tid=4573)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

IfA Salary Survey - Dinosaur - 8th September 2012

PIFA was just a (rather belated) afterthought when they realised that there were in fact some muddy people out there who regarded themselves as archaeologists but who didn't fit into their management-orientated membership hierarchy - and of course they need to look like they have more members for their chartered-status agenda. Just a bit of a shame that they couldn't stoop to allowing the muddy people proper membership status (AIFA and above) and felt the need to keep them compartmentalised - bit like diggers being a 'special-interest group'.....hahahahaaaa....ha....best just to ignore them? :face-stir:

IfA Salary Survey - Ken Denham - 8th September 2012

Whhops, here we are again. Am pleased that the Diggers Forum has stated that they strongly recommend unionisation of the commercial sector in archaeology. I joined again last year, the only contact I recieved was acknowledgement that my subs had been paid in. Am I missing some link here to get involved and support unionisation within commercial archaeology?

IfA Salary Survey - BAJR - 8th September 2012

Cheers Sadie for letting me know about this in the first place...

though as you say

Quote:There are plenty of people within the IfA who are keen to drop the problem, which given the annual trauma is understandable to be honest. But as I say, currently there is no other way.
However... there is another way... you are on it just now.

BAJR... the BAJR grades have become a de facto standard. ( hard fought and often still hard fought... ) IfA pay minima don't cut it. you will note that for over 5 years the BAJR grades have becomes a standard.

So there is a way.. support for BAJR Grades.

pps Dino
I would love to step aside from this as well. love for me not to have to enforece these rates, because the push for workers raised rates. but lets be real... when the IfA minima did not rise. BAJR rates did... and the world did not cave in. I need support... will the IfA ever support BAJR? or will I have to just do it. when others talk about it?

The DF recommendations? yup... BAJR has done what it can. anyone else?

pps Dino made me chuckle... then cry...

think on

IfA Salary Survey - Dinosaur - 8th September 2012

Sadly rates/conditions tend to be done in response to the competition, but keep trying, any overall rises mean we can raise ours too, can I put in a request that they go up in line with petrol-and-cigarette-inflation rates? :face-approve:

IfA Salary Survey - sadie - 9th September 2012

Yes-fair point David and sorry for not acknowledging that! If only....

IfA Salary Survey - Wax - 9th September 2012

Where do I go for information help and guidance with any thing to do with British Archaeology, IFA, CBA? no I go to BAJR. Why? cause things happen here and it is open to all (including the slightly mad). This includes defining realistic wage rates and ensuring that any jobs advertisied here follow the guide lines. How come all this works perhaps because it comes from the archaeological community, from the bottom up rather than is dictated by a self selected group who dictate from the top down. Well done BAJR and long may you continue:face-approve:

IfA Salary Survey - P Prentice - 10th September 2012

Wax Wrote:.... How come all this works perhaps because it comes from the archaeological community, from the bottom up rather than is dictated by a self selected group who dictate from the top down...
without wishing to defame or inpugn bajr in any way shape or form, i would, on this monday afternoon, just like to say that this makes no sense - unless it was written by a robot/slave etc, or perhaps somebody who lives entirely independently of the democratic process and has never studied hisstory or any related discipline - and thats the joy of an internet forum

IfA Salary Survey - Dinosaur - 10th September 2012

Am I missing something (as usual?), all seemed to make perfect sense when I read it..... Wink

IfA Salary Survey - BAJR - 10th September 2012

Fraid it did to me as well (though I am biased. )

and thanks Sadie.
Quote:Yes-fair point David and sorry for not acknowledging that! If only....

It could be brought up of course at Council as a suggestion. even if it may get short shrift... it would be interesting to know why Smile

BAJR is BAJR... and does what it does. ( for over 13 years now )

It does what it can. and imho not a bad job. informs, allows debate, provides a moderated job market and a host of information from courses to companies.

But... and this is important. it does it because everyone has a say. people can point out my daft ideas, suggest good ideas and help ... very democratic. and does not cost a penny to join... (just time and VAlium sometimes )

All welcome to speak --- and no hidden discussions. :face-approve:

IfA Salary Survey - poodash - 10th September 2012

This thread is, of course, a symptom of how British archaeology has been set up (since Nov 1990, in the midst of the Thatcher administration, and it's still the only show in town, given the political climate of the UK.) It has brought both good and bad things. I don't want to get into a fruitless debate about what we shd all do: as George Harrison said on The Simpsons, "It's been done."

I do, however, find the IfA's relationship with BAJR (and there is one, however hands-off) is very disingenuous. In my experience, along with grass roots union activism and dialogue, BAJR has been absolutely key to driving up pay and conditions for field staff, beyond what is required for health and safety considerations and client demands. The IfA researches and displays blatantly contradictory analyses between aspiration and reality, but doesn't act on the disparity.

It's important to understand why this is. Here's my suggestion; I might be wrong and misrepresentative. BAJR has effectively cornered the market for diggers looking for work: It's a happy no-nonsense symbiosis between an often disadvantaged group of people and somebody who runs an organisation which actually cares about them. If, as an employer, you don't follow some very simple rules you're not in the club and, whilst you might be able to hire some staff, you'll be at a serious disadvantage. The IfA cannot do this because it is institutionally (and I suspect fiscally) weighted towards the big units. I know personally that BAJR has intervened to improve conditions on individual projects and (this is the best bit) even established advertisers occasionally have David breathing down their necks behind the scenes. Softly softly, catchee monkey!

I've waffled enough: the issue is trust. And I'm afraid the IfA doesn't have it. If it wants to claim to represent the full gamut of archaeologists (especially those in the field) it has to earn that trust. And it's no good claiming (although I have the utmost respect for those people who maintain this point of view) that you have to be part of it to make a difference, because it seems to me that the people at the bottom who really need the help, ain't getting it. Show you care and, like BAJR, you will get support and thrive. Try to be all things to all parties, and you'll just end up like the IfA!