The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined array key "avatartype" - Line: 783 - File: global.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 783 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined array key "avatartype" - Line: 783 - File: global.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 783 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined variable $awaitingusers - Line: 34 - File: global.php(844) : eval()'d code PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php(844) : eval()'d code 34 errorHandler->error
/global.php 844 eval
Warning [2] Undefined array key "style" - Line: 909 - File: global.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 909 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$lang_select_default - Line: 5010 - File: inc/functions.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions.php 5010 errorHandler->error
/global.php 909 build_theme_select
Warning [2] Undefined array key "additionalgroups" - Line: 7045 - File: inc/functions.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions.php 7045 errorHandler->error
/inc/functions.php 5030 is_member
/global.php 909 build_theme_select
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$archive_pages - Line: 2 - File: printthread.php(257) : eval()'d code PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php(257) : eval()'d code 2 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 257 eval
/printthread.php 117 printthread_multipage
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 160 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 160 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 165 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 165 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 160 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 165 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key 1 - Line: 801 - File: inc/class_parser.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_parser.php 801 errorHandler->error
/inc/class_parser.php 866 postParser->mycode_parse_post_quotes
[PHP]   postParser->mycode_parse_post_quotes_callback1
/inc/class_parser.php 751 preg_replace_callback
/inc/class_parser.php 431 postParser->mycode_parse_quotes
/inc/class_parser.php 187 postParser->parse_mycode
/printthread.php 179 postParser->parse_message
Warning [2] Undefined array key 1 - Line: 820 - File: inc/class_parser.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_parser.php 820 errorHandler->error
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key 1 - Line: 801 - File: inc/class_parser.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_parser.php 801 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key 1 - Line: 820 - File: inc/class_parser.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_parser.php 820 errorHandler->error
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function

BAJR Federation Archaeology
Jobs jobs jobs !! - Printable Version

+- BAJR Federation Archaeology (http://www.bajrfed.co.uk)
+-- Forum: BAJR Federation Forums (http://www.bajrfed.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: The Site Hut (http://www.bajrfed.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Thread: Jobs jobs jobs !! (/showthread.php?tid=4542)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

Jobs jobs jobs !! - Unitof1 - 8th August 2012

No they are not. Council jobs stink they are unfair competition, under cut the market and cause the race to the bottom. PThis lot really are a throw back.

Jobs jobs jobs !! - Dinosaur - 8th August 2012

Kel Wrote:When was that not the case Dino? We're both old enough to have survived several economic boom & bust cycles. They come, they go, the world still turns. Such is capitalism. It's not the end of all things, just a period of adaptation each time for us ants. Chin up, chap! Good times are just around the corner, pack up yer troubles, there'll be bluebirds over, etc.

Permanent local government archaeology jobs (regardless of how long that permanence actually lasts) is a reason to be cheerful!

I'm always amused by people in archaeology (particularly the diggers) who think they've secured a 'permanent' job - just means they get a slightly longer period of notice when the work dries up....I've heard of people being laid-off after only a week on a 'permanent' contract...in one case that was a bit of a b****r since they'd just jacked in what turned out to be 9 months work here (which had been given to someone else in the meantime). Presumably council jobs have a longer redundancy process?

Jobs jobs jobs !! - Kel - 8th August 2012

Highly unionised environment. It helps.

Jobs jobs jobs !! - Jack - 14th August 2012

Dinosaur Wrote:I'm always amused by people in archaeology (particularly the diggers) who think they've secured a 'permanent' job - just means they get a slightly longer period of notice when the work dries up....I've heard of people being laid-off after only a week on a 'permanent' contract...in one case that was a bit of a b****r since they'd just jacked in what turned out to be 9 months work here (which had been given to someone else in the meantime). Presumably council jobs have a longer redundancy process?

Depends on how long you've been there. Also the council/government have lots of tricks....like changing your job-title or rationalising a county into smaller bits then making you re-apply for it at a lower wage.

Jobs jobs jobs !! - rocklobster - 15th August 2012

Quote:
I'm always amused by people in archaeology (particularly the diggers) who think they've secured a 'permanent' job - just means they get a slightly longer period of notice when the work dries up....I've heard of people being laid-off after only a week on a 'permanent' contract...in one case that was a bit of a b****r since they'd just jacked in what turned out to be 9 months work here (which had been given to someone else in the meantime).

Agree. Some 'permanent' council jobs are only as permanent as long as the work is there and you've managed to survive for over fours years (even on fixed term contracts). Therefore entitiling you to permanent employee rights i.e a redundancy and 3months notice. After two years and it's just statutory redundancy, below that nowt and only one weeks notice. So though they may appear to be more stable jobs, this is not always the case. Though there are indeed many benefits, like supposedly good pension contributions, if one can afford to pay into a pension.

Jobs jobs jobs !! - Kel - 15th August 2012

Archaeology has exactly the same employment conditions as any other employment field then.

Jobs jobs jobs !! - Dinosaur - 15th August 2012

'Temporary' contracts have had a right good slagging on here in the past...err...so what's the difference? Temporary and permanent digging jobs both only last as long as the site(s), then even the 'permanent' diggers get laid off....some of the posts on here over the years have been really quite naive :face-stir:

Jobs jobs jobs !! - Sith - 15th August 2012

I've always taken 'permanent' in archaeology to mean there's not an assumption that a post is only temporary.

Jobs jobs jobs !! - Kel - 15th August 2012

All permanent jobs are only permanent until they're not. I've been made redundant after 13 months in a permanent job. Once, I passed an interview for a permanent job which was reorganised out of existence a week before my start date - that has to be some sort of record. Thankfully my almost-previous employer accepted my un-resignation and allowed me to continue with them. The most expensive item on any set of company accounts, is the staff headcount. If the beancounters need to cut costs fast, they just strike a few names off a spreadsheet.

These days, no job in any industry is *actually* permanent in the way that my parents' generation understood it.

Jobs jobs jobs !! - monty - 24th August 2012

.....and more jobs ! ...yet still the pay is scandalously low....especially when you know the day rate the employers are charging ..................................................xx(