The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined array key "avatartype" - Line: 783 - File: global.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 783 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined array key "avatartype" - Line: 783 - File: global.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 783 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined variable $awaitingusers - Line: 34 - File: global.php(844) : eval()'d code PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php(844) : eval()'d code 34 errorHandler->error
/global.php 844 eval
Warning [2] Undefined array key "style" - Line: 909 - File: global.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 909 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$lang_select_default - Line: 5010 - File: inc/functions.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions.php 5010 errorHandler->error
/global.php 909 build_theme_select
Warning [2] Undefined array key "additionalgroups" - Line: 7045 - File: inc/functions.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions.php 7045 errorHandler->error
/inc/functions.php 5030 is_member
/global.php 909 build_theme_select
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$archive_pages - Line: 2 - File: printthread.php(257) : eval()'d code PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php(257) : eval()'d code 2 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 257 eval
/printthread.php 117 printthread_multipage
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 160 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 160 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 165 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 165 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 160 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 165 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function

BAJR Federation Archaeology
Public involvement in Commercial archaeology - Printable Version

+- BAJR Federation Archaeology (http://www.bajrfed.co.uk)
+-- Forum: BAJR Federation Forums (http://www.bajrfed.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: The Site Hut (http://www.bajrfed.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Thread: Public involvement in Commercial archaeology (/showthread.php?tid=449)

Pages: 1 2 3

Public involvement in Commercial archaeology - sarahlouise - 9th February 2007

Hi as a field archaeologist of four years I decided to go back to univeristy to undertake a Masters in public archaeology (a moment of madness!). I believe that the public should have access to archaeology but that this is not a black or white situation - infact it is a wide variety of shades of grey.

Anyway I am writing a paper on commercial archaeology and its relationship to the public and vice versa - inspired by a couple of conferences on community archaeology that I have been to over the past few years. One in which members of a key archaeology institution discussed commercial archaeologists like we were some evil variety that deliberately intended to keep excavations to ourselves}Smile. They acted like "community archaeology" was a completely seperate thing which I think is hilarious as often its commercial companies who are brought in to run these community affairs.

the other conference - the people presenting the conference had positive views about how the public and archaeology could interact BUT at the end members of the public suggested that commercial archaeologists should be giving up their time to get people involved. So after eight hours (if your lucky) digging in rain, sleet and snow you should stick around for another hour (unpaid)and give tours!!!![?]

It seems to me that there is a general lack of understanding about what commercial archaeologists do and how we operate - would you agree?

Anyway I just wanted to get other peoples views on the realities of getting the public involved specifically in commercial arch (not other forms)but not necessarily digging. Although any views on volunteers digging and the potential danger of their being used to replace qualified archs as freebie staff would be welcome too. Also has anyone encountered negative reactions by public about a dig (its never happened on a dig I have been on).

Public involvement in Commercial archaeology - Gog - 9th February 2007

Negative reaction - does kids chucking dogs**t at us through the Heras fencing count? And the crims threatening us from inside a prison van when we were digging next to a magistrates court (although the builders were winding them up)? And how many unpopular developments have I been on where the locals nicked our marker pegs (usually associated with sewage plants - where do they think it all goes after they flush?)

Apart from the above, most people are positive and interested - not sure I'd want them next to me with a shovel, though.

Public involvement in Commercial archaeology - hurting-back - 10th February 2007

One of the realities of commercial archaeology is that we are bound to comply with a scope of works which is set by the local curator and not ourselves (with a few exceptions). Unless the curator specifically states that undertaking a programme of public involvement is a requirement of the Brief it is hard to make an allowance for it (as the moment you do, some one else won't and you could lose the job). I have seen some curators require some provision for this, but without actually detailing the scope of it which makes it hard to cost and tricky to enforce.

It is worth noting that often clients on larger developments often ask contractors to engage with the public for their own benefit.

Obviously there is nothing stopping you talking to members of the pubic (unless prohibited on a specific contract) during the project and telling them what you are up to; I used to do this alot when I ran sites and encouraged my site staff to engage with people when approached....within reason of course. Wink

Which doesn't necessarily improve public understanding of the role of commercial archaeology...but then should it? Or should the point be to connect people to the archaeology under their feet and that's it? I mean, it isn't very becoming if you are telling someone about an IA settlement and the next minute you are ranting about pay and conditions or boring them with the finer details of the planning system....

Also, I have to say, I've never had dog s**t thrown at me but we did have people take our trench stakes out once, although I think this was an objection to the bypass rather than to the archaeological work........unfortunately for them they left some pegs in and didn't think to fill in the holes left by those they took out, which obviously meant that all their scheming came to nothing - other than making us chuckle!! Big Grin

don't panic!

Public involvement in Commercial archaeology - sarahlouise - 11th February 2007

Alot of what Hurting-back said I agree with and when I undertake excavation I do more or less what you have said above.

Why should people concern themselves about what is commercial archaeology? well we do these because it is deemed to be in the "public interest" by the government resulting in PPG16 (which is under/or going to be under review) in additional all other sources for funding in general for archaeology are continually being cut. If these voices at community conferences express a general disatisfaction with us as a group representing the "public"- this could affect our future.

I dont wish upon anyone the need to learn about PPG16 BUT most people think we do this as a holiday pastime - how many times have you been asked are you a student? If people understood we were a commercial business they would understand better the limitations placed on us for public access - but seriously alot of people I met think i do it for fun! obviously I partly do it for that but paying the rent and getting food on the top are also part of the equation.

oh i dont think it should be told as part of a site tour - like you said ranting about poor pay etc.. on a tour not great!

I just think we need a better public face as a profession - one that recognises we are a profession!! dont ask me how to do that though!!

Public involvement in Commercial archaeology - Reggie - 11th February 2007

There is no need to go into great detail about PPPGs or into a rant about pay and conditions.

However, to place the excavation being viewed into context, there is nothing wrong (and quite a lot right!) with a short explanation of how commercial archaeology works - the levels of investigation (WB, evaluation, full excavation etc), the role of county archaeologists and the the planning system, developer funding etc.

Public involvement in Commercial archaeology - Beardstroker - 11th February 2007

Quote:quote:Originally posted by Reggie

There is no need to go into great detail about PPPGs or into a rant about pay and conditions.

However, to place the excavation being viewed into context, there is nothing wrong (and quite a lot right!) with a short explanation of how commercial archaeology works - the levels of investigation (WB, evaluation, full excavation etc), the role of county archaeologists and the the planning system, developer funding etc.

Quite a lot of the time I find myself doing that anyway.Usually to people who are under the impression that because we've arrived in a Transit van with a local authority logo on it, we're wasting their Council Tax on this trivial rubbish:face-confused: Thankfully, the majority of people do seem to accept the concept of it being part of the planning conditions and getting the developer to fund it.

I think as well that it depends on whereabouts you happen to be working. I've found people tend to be a little bit more informed in say, a ancient historical town, where the archaeology recieves fairly regular coverage in the local press and their familiar with seeing archaeologists in action in the town centre. However, I do still get a feeling of frustration at having to explain that we're not (a) students or (b) going to stop the building from going ahead.[xx(]

Reggie - I agree aslong as its done in a productive - non bitter way its good to present a bit about development.

BUT one of my points is that if as archs we worked together more as a profession with a single public face maybe people would understand what we did a little better anyway. I know that its probably wishful thinking!! But I guess thats what BAJR is trying to do.

The one I love from the public is when they say its a shame when we finish that we can not preserve the arch remains (as its being build on) and you have to explain that by digging it up it will be gone anyway!

Public involvement in Commercial archaeology - mercenary - 12th February 2007

Talking about the planning process can I think be very interesting to the public. If not I will have bored a few hundred people silly at a recent open day. I think not though because the site was a very good example of commercial urban work and different methodologies to "preserve" the archaeological remains. Talking about the implications of PPG16 is also a very good way to answer the perennial question asked by the public, "how do you know where to dig?".

As for presenting a single public face, sounds great, but can archaeologists actually agree what that public face might be?

ps. I also am tired of a portrayal of commercial archs as some kind of lower (read, evil) life form by some amateur groups and by academic archs in general. I think the root of it sadly some misplaced jealousy, which a day on a horrible commercial site would rectify in short order.Wink

Public involvement in Commercial archaeology - sarahlouise - 14th February 2007

I think you might be right there Mercenary. I love annoying the hell out of the academics in my class by saying "yes but in REAL life......" - The small pleasures!!!!