The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined array key "avatartype" - Line: 783 - File: global.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 783 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined array key "avatartype" - Line: 783 - File: global.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 783 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined variable $awaitingusers - Line: 34 - File: global.php(844) : eval()'d code PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php(844) : eval()'d code 34 errorHandler->error
/global.php 844 eval
Warning [2] Undefined array key "style" - Line: 909 - File: global.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 909 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$lang_select_default - Line: 5010 - File: inc/functions.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions.php 5010 errorHandler->error
/global.php 909 build_theme_select
Warning [2] Undefined array key "additionalgroups" - Line: 7045 - File: inc/functions.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions.php 7045 errorHandler->error
/inc/functions.php 5030 is_member
/global.php 909 build_theme_select
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$archive_pages - Line: 2 - File: printthread.php(257) : eval()'d code PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php(257) : eval()'d code 2 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 257 eval
/printthread.php 117 printthread_multipage
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 160 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 160 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 165 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 165 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 160 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 165 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function

BAJR Federation Archaeology
My first DBA - Printable Version

+- BAJR Federation Archaeology (http://www.bajrfed.co.uk)
+-- Forum: BAJR Federation Forums (http://www.bajrfed.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: The Site Hut (http://www.bajrfed.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Thread: My first DBA (/showthread.php?tid=447)

Pages: 1 2

My first DBA - stonecirclegirl - 9th February 2007

God that sounds like something you could get from the Early Learning Centre... Big Grin

Anyway, hello all I'm back. Hope everyone is fantabulous and groovy.

I'm now in the second year at Bournemouth and evrything is suddenly piling up. Doing my first desk based assessment which is due in on mon and have to ask.... do they ever get any easier?? [?]

I feel like I'm being really thick... am I making a right meal of it or what? This is only a short one too... 2000 words. It shouldn't be this bl**dy hard! (should it??)

Any tips?

Sorry if this post is a bit random... just needed a rant to those who may understand my plight (ie not various members of my family who don't know what I'm on about or other students who are going just as mental as me)

Big Grin

My first DBA - Sparky - 9th February 2007

Hmmm...I remember my first DBA though not quite as clearly as my first STD...

Keep it simple, clear and concise...the DBA that is.
Good luck.

My first DBA - vulpes - 9th February 2007

Go check out your local HER/SMR and ask for / find a few good examples of DBAs - Learn from the pros!! Maybe check out the IFA standard and guidance if you haven't already.

My first DBA - drpeterwardle - 9th February 2007

Due in on Monday so not many options.

I assume this is the Bournemouth assignement where you choose the site.

If you have not done the smr search change sites and choose one where there is an online version of the smr this will do at this late stage.

Tomorrow - Saturday go to the local studies library and photocopy all OS maps of the area. Check any reference material they hold.

The onto the record office and copy missing material you will need a digital camera to copy anything.

Sunday Morning
Visit site take photos or better still combine with above on Saturday.

Text
Introduction what a dba is - a summary of known info about a site.
The emphasis is on summary.

You need location
Geology
Topography
Other things which are relevant.

Paragraph on each.

Summarises previous arcaeological investigations max 2 pages

Sumarise SMR results for about 0.5km radius period by period

Discuss the development

List sources consulted
Append maps.

Print and submit.

I done about 200 dbas and they do get easier. It usually takes me about 2-3 days for one of about the standard that my rivals produces. The trouble you need to taught how to do the various elements.

If you follow the IFA standard in full it can be weeks of work.

Peter Wardle

My first DBA - Beardstroker - 9th February 2007

I remember my first one for a commercial project had to be done in a day too- a real baptism of fire, so you have my sympathies. It was, by any ones standards, an enormous pile of pants!

I have a copy somewhere which I re read every now and then. It makes me cringe and keeps me humble!Big Grin

My first DBA - Gog - 9th February 2007

Don't forget the historic landscape character map (HLC) if your county has one (most do now) - fantastic resource for putting the site in its medieval and post-med landscape context (enclosure, field systems etc), something archs are often a bit weak on.

My first DBA - stonecirclegirl - 9th February 2007

Thanks all.Big Grin

I have already done the site visit and record office bits. Trouble is it was all left until the last minute so it has put us all into a panic.

I have spent much time in the library but the site is a very thin one for info so not the best one to start on.

I have maps and other bits to put in as appendices. I think the main problem i'm having now is that I thought once I had all the info it would come together quite easily... and it is not. That's why I think I'm being thick.

it's getting there... I'm up to 1100 words. just got to go through the local sites and put them in, add appendices, site plans etc, put it all together, print 4 copies and make a disc copy, and do anything else I have forgotten over the next couple of days.

I don't know why I've found the last stages so hard...[?]

Thanks Peter for that summary... I'm printing that out to keep for future ref!

you never know it may all come together soon! :face-huh:

'There is no great genius without some touch of madness'... that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it

My first DBA - gumbo - 10th February 2007

Without sounding too much like poncemeister: I find a good way to do the background is to 'narrate' the history of your area in the context of settlement/s and settlement patterns and how these changed over time. I find the other stuff e.g. finds, burials, placenames or whatever flows on from this.

My first DBA - drpeterwardle - 10th February 2007

Good.

Ignore the comments from people who say it took them a day.

OK you have covered all the basic bases and what you are asking is what to actually write.

Dont pad out the text. This is very common with people doing there first DBA.

The report is meant to be read by none archaeologists - planning officers, elected members and the client. You are not writing for a curator. Make sure the text is in plain english and include a glossary of technical terms.

If this is a development type dba highlight the development area with a highlighter pen.

Better still get all the maps at the same scale. This is actually simple and quick but will be time consumming the first time you do it.

Turn the file into a PDF and email to be me for quality control. (This has to be before 16:00 today for a definite response tomorrow) send me what you have.

Get somebody else to proof read a hard copy.

Peter

(PAW has a very sore head this afternoon as I was 50 yesterday and tonight I'm having a party and will be drinking from a beaker. So time is short and there is a very narrow time time window for me to read the DBA.)

My first DBA - stonecirclegirl - 10th February 2007

Forgive me for being thick but I'm not sure how to covert a word file to pdf.

I am not a computer type person and am a bit ignorant when it comes to things like that!

(Go on, everyone laugh!) : (

'There is no great genius without some touch of madness'... that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it