The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined array key "avatartype" - Line: 783 - File: global.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 783 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined array key "avatartype" - Line: 783 - File: global.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 783 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined variable $awaitingusers - Line: 34 - File: global.php(844) : eval()'d code PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php(844) : eval()'d code 34 errorHandler->error
/global.php 844 eval
Warning [2] Undefined array key "style" - Line: 909 - File: global.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 909 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$lang_select_default - Line: 5010 - File: inc/functions.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions.php 5010 errorHandler->error
/global.php 909 build_theme_select
Warning [2] Undefined array key "additionalgroups" - Line: 7045 - File: inc/functions.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions.php 7045 errorHandler->error
/inc/functions.php 5030 is_member
/global.php 909 build_theme_select
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$archive_pages - Line: 2 - File: printthread.php(257) : eval()'d code PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php(257) : eval()'d code 2 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 257 eval
/printthread.php 117 printthread_multipage
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 160 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 160 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 165 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 165 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 160 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 165 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key 1 - Line: 801 - File: inc/class_parser.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_parser.php 801 errorHandler->error
/inc/class_parser.php 866 postParser->mycode_parse_post_quotes
[PHP]   postParser->mycode_parse_post_quotes_callback1
/inc/class_parser.php 751 preg_replace_callback
/inc/class_parser.php 431 postParser->mycode_parse_quotes
/inc/class_parser.php 187 postParser->parse_mycode
/printthread.php 179 postParser->parse_message
Warning [2] Undefined array key 1 - Line: 820 - File: inc/class_parser.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_parser.php 820 errorHandler->error
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key 1 - Line: 801 - File: inc/class_parser.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key 1 - Line: 820 - File: inc/class_parser.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function

BAJR Federation Archaeology
IfA 2012 Conference - Is it a worthwhile time/financial investment? - Printable Version

+- BAJR Federation Archaeology (http://www.bajrfed.co.uk)
+-- Forum: BAJR Federation Forums (http://www.bajrfed.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: The Site Hut (http://www.bajrfed.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Thread: IfA 2012 Conference - Is it a worthwhile time/financial investment? (/showthread.php?tid=4325)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

IfA 2012 Conference - Is it a worthwhile time/financial investment? - Jack - 24th February 2012

Yep, its always important to see the evidence for yourself.

IfA 2012 Conference - Is it a worthwhile time/financial investment? - Dinosaur - 24th February 2012

Potcho Wrote:Wow: i'm astounded by just how rapidly this thread has grown and just how strong opinions can be regarding the subject.

And you've been Unit-ed as well! Good first thread, one day I'll figure out how its done (and maybe how to change my avatar as well Sad)

IfA 2012 Conference - Is it a worthwhile time/financial investment? - Potcho - 24th February 2012

Unit-ed? I assume that has something to do with the mysterious Unit of One. I'm not entirely certain how to take his/her most recent post but i'll assume it was a compliment for being persistent as opposed to a critism for poking my nose in places where perhaps I shouldn't. Don't worry; I do wash my face at least twice a day. Thanks again everyone.

IfA 2012 Conference - Is it a worthwhile time/financial investment? - tom wilson - 24th February 2012

Potcho Wrote:...It does seems as though I have been a touch naive/ignorant as to who the IfA truly are, who they truly represent and what they actually do (if anything).

There is a significant minority of frequently-posting BAJRites who are totally entrenched in their negative views of the IfA. They do not speak for all by any means, either on this forum or in the industry as a whole (I reckon IfA have ~2500 paying members, compared to ~5-6000 professionals: not bad considering a lot of the non-payers will be sympathisers). That's a topic for another thread though.

I won't be going to the conference this year, I don't think. I can't really spare the time. If I needed to talk to lots of archaeologists (e.g. as prospective employers, collaborators, or people with skills I need to learn*) I probably would though. There will also be lots of interesting discussions about the direction the industry is headed, which might or might not be very similar to discussions last year or the year before that, but if you weren't there those years then that might be sufficient reason for going. Thirdly, the EGM presents an opportunity for anyone with a bee in their bonnet to release it in a target-rich environment, and that must definitely be sufficient reason for some people to go.

*ETA: in case it reads that way, I'm not implying I have nothing to learn from anyone at the conference...just more pressing things to do.

IfA 2012 Conference - Is it a worthwhile time/financial investment? - sadie - 25th February 2012

To add another 'digger's' view- whether people like it (the IFA) or not the IFA does do a lot of work behind the scenes with Govt and other movers and shakers in the world of archaeology generally so the conference is a good way of actually meeting these peope in the flesh and hearing what they have to say. The Diggers' Forum are doing a session with the Finds Group which will provide both CPD and a chance to chat/drink with colleagues. I think the EGM will be worth attending.

Choose which day looks most interesting/relevant/fun and go along.

IfA 2012 Conference - Is it a worthwhile time/financial investment? - trowelfodder - 25th February 2012

Some of it more "behind the scenes" than others! :face-stir:

IfA 2012 Conference - Is it a worthwhile time/financial investment? - Unitof1 - 26th February 2012

Quote:significant minority
Quote:of frequently-posting BAJRites who are totally entrenched in their negative
views of the IfA
Quote:not bad considering a lot of the non-payers will be sympathisers

your wisdom knows no bounds

IfA 2012 Conference - Is it a worthwhile time/financial investment? - tom wilson - 27th February 2012

Unitof1 Wrote:your wisdom knows no bounds

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ad_hominem