The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined array key "avatartype" - Line: 783 - File: global.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 783 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined array key "avatartype" - Line: 783 - File: global.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 783 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined variable $awaitingusers - Line: 34 - File: global.php(844) : eval()'d code PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php(844) : eval()'d code 34 errorHandler->error
/global.php 844 eval
Warning [2] Undefined array key "style" - Line: 909 - File: global.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 909 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$lang_select_default - Line: 5010 - File: inc/functions.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions.php 5010 errorHandler->error
/global.php 909 build_theme_select
Warning [2] Undefined array key "additionalgroups" - Line: 7045 - File: inc/functions.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions.php 7045 errorHandler->error
/inc/functions.php 5030 is_member
/global.php 909 build_theme_select
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$archive_pages - Line: 2 - File: printthread.php(257) : eval()'d code PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php(257) : eval()'d code 2 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 257 eval
/printthread.php 117 printthread_multipage
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 160 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 160 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 165 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 165 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 160 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 165 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key 1 - Line: 801 - File: inc/class_parser.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_parser.php 801 errorHandler->error
/inc/class_parser.php 866 postParser->mycode_parse_post_quotes
[PHP]   postParser->mycode_parse_post_quotes_callback1
/inc/class_parser.php 751 preg_replace_callback
/inc/class_parser.php 431 postParser->mycode_parse_quotes
/inc/class_parser.php 187 postParser->parse_mycode
/printthread.php 179 postParser->parse_message
Warning [2] Undefined array key 1 - Line: 820 - File: inc/class_parser.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_parser.php 820 errorHandler->error
File Line Function
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key 1 - Line: 801 - File: inc/class_parser.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key 1 - Line: 820 - File: inc/class_parser.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function

BAJR Federation Archaeology
Hardy Breed - Printable Version

+- BAJR Federation Archaeology (http://www.bajrfed.co.uk)
+-- Forum: BAJR Federation Forums (http://www.bajrfed.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: The Site Hut (http://www.bajrfed.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Thread: Hardy Breed (/showthread.php?tid=4228)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Hardy Breed - kevin wooldridge - 29th December 2011

At Birdoswald a couple of years back (as I'm sure Chiz will recall) it was actually the amorous young bullocks that pushed the portaloo over ....

Hardy Breed - chiz - 29th December 2011

Bigpicture Wrote:...Either way, against the cost of a supervisor, an assistant arch and plant (even for a small eval) it is hard to justify not providing decent welfare.

Agreed. There is no place for the 'race to the bottom' in welfare provision. If you excuse my unintended pun...

Hardy Breed - chiz - 29th December 2011

kevin wooldridge Wrote:At Birdoswald a couple of years back (as I'm sure Chiz will recall) it was actually the amorous young bullocks that pushed the portaloo over ....

That's no way to refer to your colleagues!

One of my favourite memories of Newbury Bypass was of a portaloo with in situ security guard being pushed over onto the door by a ten year old boy. It was on a slope, which helped topple it of course. Didn't help the security guard get out though, but then neither did all his mates who were busy standing around laughing.

Hardy Breed - Wax - 29th December 2011

The local scallies round here have learnt how to melt porta loos. The resultant "puddle" of plastic, blue gunk and other solids is an interestingg addition to the site ambience. Still I suppose its better than using them as target practice for guns.

Useful tip, employ security recruited from the local area otherwise expect a turf war between your hired in security and the locals

Hardy Breed - Ken Denham - 2nd January 2012

In reply to Hosty:
Just got back from work and read your posting, expected the editing and was actually quite pleased you did because I knew I had pushed the boat out (in publishing in a public forum) quite far.
The situation seems to have been resolved as welfare on the site has improved.
The staff were obviously mis-informed about the situation for the last 5 weeks or so. A cynic might conclude that it only improved because certain folk monitor the BAJR site. I'm not one of those people, I have great faith in the philanthropic endeavour of employers within archaeology. After all, we must be able to trust them, they're for the most part, archaeologists themselves who have developed an interesting insight into the economics of the commercial archaeological industry.
My sources were pretty happy initially for me to publicise the situation but I'm afraid fear has made them ask me to shut up. Satire, I believe is the answer.
Toodeloo and Happy New Year.

Hardy Breed - the invisible man - 3rd January 2012

For all geophysicists, could someone explain what a site hut, cabin or portaloo is, please?

Hardy Breed - kevin wooldridge - 3rd January 2012

the invisible man Wrote:For all geophysicists, could someone explain what a site hut, cabin or portaloo is, please?

That would be all those rectangles on your plots where you couldn't gather data..!!

Hardy Breed - trowelfodder - 3rd January 2012

This issue does once more highlight difficulties in dealing with guidelines which use terms like "as appropriate", "where possible", "reasonable attempts must be made" but then give no actual idea of what they mean.

If all archaeological units wrote in the costs of the welfare requirements at the tender stage and all agreed at what point it was necessary - ie not for a two day one person watching brief but yes for a week long eval or had a prearranged agreement that if on a larger site that archaeologists were to share the builders welfare facilities

But things will only change if people are willing to stand up for themselves. Both BAJR and Diggers Forum are doing all they can, and offering anonymity so what more do you want!!!

Hardy Breed - P Prentice - 3rd January 2012

there is no excuse for inadequate welfare facilities -
name and shame - but get your facts right
satire may well help ken but you should get some and try

Hardy Breed - chiz - 3rd January 2012

the invisible man Wrote:For all geophysicists, could someone explain what a site hut, cabin or portaloo is, please?

Good point, and one that came up in the DF away survey* comments. How long are you normally on a site? 1 day, 2 days? If you 'always' just work out of a van and its a day here, half day there then I would say that you should have proper kit in your van for washing hands etc and providing proper welfare. I'm trying to get a 'welfare' box together at the moment for when I am on one day sites, hand towels, water butt, soap etc, you could easily do the same.

If it is a problem, then I suggest you get in touch with the Geophysics SIG and get them to draw up a minimum requirement?

*DF away survey report coming soon...