The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined array key "avatartype" - Line: 783 - File: global.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 783 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined array key "avatartype" - Line: 783 - File: global.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 783 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined variable $awaitingusers - Line: 34 - File: global.php(844) : eval()'d code PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php(844) : eval()'d code 34 errorHandler->error
/global.php 844 eval
Warning [2] Undefined array key "style" - Line: 909 - File: global.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 909 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$lang_select_default - Line: 5010 - File: inc/functions.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions.php 5010 errorHandler->error
/global.php 909 build_theme_select
Warning [2] Undefined array key "additionalgroups" - Line: 7045 - File: inc/functions.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions.php 7045 errorHandler->error
/inc/functions.php 5030 is_member
/global.php 909 build_theme_select
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$archive_pages - Line: 2 - File: printthread.php(257) : eval()'d code PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php(257) : eval()'d code 2 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 257 eval
/printthread.php 117 printthread_multipage
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 160 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 160 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 165 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 165 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 160 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 165 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key 1 - Line: 801 - File: inc/class_parser.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_parser.php 801 errorHandler->error
/inc/class_parser.php 866 postParser->mycode_parse_post_quotes
[PHP]   postParser->mycode_parse_post_quotes_callback1
/inc/class_parser.php 751 preg_replace_callback
/inc/class_parser.php 431 postParser->mycode_parse_quotes
/inc/class_parser.php 187 postParser->parse_mycode
/printthread.php 179 postParser->parse_message
Warning [2] Undefined array key 1 - Line: 820 - File: inc/class_parser.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_parser.php 820 errorHandler->error
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key 1 - Line: 801 - File: inc/class_parser.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_parser.php 801 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key 1 - Line: 820 - File: inc/class_parser.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_parser.php 820 errorHandler->error
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function

BAJR Federation Archaeology
Burial Archaeology permissions - Printable Version

+- BAJR Federation Archaeology (http://www.bajrfed.co.uk)
+-- Forum: BAJR Federation Forums (http://www.bajrfed.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: The Site Hut (http://www.bajrfed.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Thread: Burial Archaeology permissions (/showthread.php?tid=4145)

Pages: 1 2 3

Burial Archaeology permissions - BAJR - 25th October 2011

Just thought I would try and get the definitive approach, given that a few years have a past, so people will have got used to it.

(ps... I realise already that the discovery of unexpected human remains outwith a burial ground must be reported to the police as well. )

Here are two scenarios : and my answer

1) I intend to excavate a Bronze Age burial mound with the express intention of gathering human material for destructive scientific analysis, I will not be taking more than required and the rest of the body will remain.

I get permission before excavation and the 2 year retention rule cannot apply as their is nothing to rebury.

2) I intend to excavate a mound which I think is a clearance cairn but the client thinks is a burial mound - during the excavation we do uncover human remains.

I immediately apply for a licence from MoJ explaining how they were uncovered.

Do people have any experience of the length of time that these actions take?

:face-huh:

Burial Archaeology permissions - P Prentice - 25th October 2011

BAJR Wrote:Just thought I would try and get the definitive approach, given that a few years have a past, so people will have got used to it.

(ps... I realise already that the discovery of unexpected human remains outwith a burial ground must be reported to the police as well. )

Here are two scenarios : and my answer

1) I intend to excavate a Bronze Age burial mound with the express intention of gathering human material for destructive scientific analysis, I will not be taking more than required and the rest of the body will remain.

I get permission before excavation and the 2 year retention rule cannot apply as their is nothing to rebury.

2) I intend to excavate a mound which I think is a clearance cairn but the client thinks is a burial mound - during the excavation we do uncover human remains.

I immediately apply for a licence from MoJ explaining how they were uncovered.

Do people have any experience of the length of time that these actions take?

:face-huh:

you can usually get a licence in a day or two if you are a reputable authority

Burial Archaeology permissions - kevin wooldridge - 25th October 2011

Certainly under the old Home Office regime I could ring up the nice lady and get a faxed copy of a licence within an hour with the original copy arriving by post within a day or so. Not so sure that the MoJ is so efficient...

Burial Archaeology permissions - Dinosaur - 25th October 2011

kevin wooldridge Wrote:Certainly under the old Home Office regime I could ring up the nice lady and get a faxed copy of a licence within an hour with the original copy arriving by post within a day or so. Not so sure that the MoJ is so efficient...

Same experience here

Burial Archaeology permissions - Bigpicture - 25th October 2011

I've covered a few burial sites recently, mostly p-med, and whether in advance or once on site MoJ generally turn around licence within 24 hours.

That is good news. Seems like the furour was not as bad as it seemed.

But would you get a licence before or if and when you found a burial. even a 24 hour delay could cost?

Burial Archaeology permissions - P Prentice - 25th October 2011

if you think you will be encountering burials you should get one in advance - the process is the same anyway

Mr Sunil Patel
Coroners and Burials Division
Civil, Family and Legal Aid Division
Ministry of Justice
102 Petty France
London SW1H 9AJ
T: 020 3334 6390
F: 020 3334 2233
E: sunil.patel@justice.gsi.gov.uk

Burial Archaeology permissions - kevin wooldridge - 25th October 2011

I always used to write in DBAs the necessity to obtain a burial licence in advance of archaeological works where burials might be suspected, to avoid any potential delay. I don't think in 20 years one single developer/consultant/client/contractor took up the offer...!!

Plus... would the MoJ not need a good reason for the removal of a burial to grant permission - in research excavation for example where the only threat to the body is the archaeologist?

Burial Archaeology permissions - Kel - 25th October 2011

I don't think that human remains being under threat, is the only reason that the MoJ would grant a licence.

Is "research" not a good reason? That's presumably why *anything* is dug up on a research excavation. The project plan must already contain formal research justification, in order to have won funding.