The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined array key "avatartype" - Line: 783 - File: global.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 783 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined array key "avatartype" - Line: 783 - File: global.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 783 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined variable $awaitingusers - Line: 34 - File: global.php(844) : eval()'d code PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php(844) : eval()'d code 34 errorHandler->error
/global.php 844 eval
Warning [2] Undefined array key "style" - Line: 909 - File: global.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 909 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$lang_select_default - Line: 5010 - File: inc/functions.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions.php 5010 errorHandler->error
/global.php 909 build_theme_select
Warning [2] Undefined array key "additionalgroups" - Line: 7045 - File: inc/functions.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions.php 7045 errorHandler->error
/inc/functions.php 5030 is_member
/global.php 909 build_theme_select
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$archive_pages - Line: 2 - File: printthread.php(257) : eval()'d code PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php(257) : eval()'d code 2 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 257 eval
/printthread.php 117 printthread_multipage
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 160 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 160 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 165 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 165 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 160 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 165 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key 1 - Line: 801 - File: inc/class_parser.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_parser.php 801 errorHandler->error
/inc/class_parser.php 866 postParser->mycode_parse_post_quotes
[PHP]   postParser->mycode_parse_post_quotes_callback1
/inc/class_parser.php 751 preg_replace_callback
/inc/class_parser.php 431 postParser->mycode_parse_quotes
/inc/class_parser.php 187 postParser->parse_mycode
/printthread.php 179 postParser->parse_message
Warning [2] Undefined array key 1 - Line: 820 - File: inc/class_parser.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_parser.php 820 errorHandler->error
File Line Function
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key 1 - Line: 801 - File: inc/class_parser.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key 1 - Line: 820 - File: inc/class_parser.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function

BAJR Federation Archaeology
Excavation Skills! - Printable Version

+- BAJR Federation Archaeology (http://www.bajrfed.co.uk)
+-- Forum: BAJR Federation Forums (http://www.bajrfed.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: The Site Hut (http://www.bajrfed.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Thread: Excavation Skills! (/showthread.php?tid=4079)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Excavation Skills! - Unitof1 - 9th September 2011

whats a context sheet?

Excavation Skills! - Steve H - 9th September 2011

In our office subsoil refers to layers between the ploughsoil and the natural (sometimes called the natural subsoil just to confuse people) and can be colluvium, alluvium or the kind of arable subsoil associated with ridge and furrow.
Of course this is just archaeological short-hand, for those of us (the majority) who are not soil scientists, but are more concerned with cultural remains.

Perhaps a course on natural features would be useful for undergraduates (and us old lags too!). What on earth is a tree bowl? how does it form? What does it mean?

Excavation Skills! - kevin wooldridge - 9th September 2011

Steve H Wrote:What on earth is a tree bowl? how does it form? What does it mean?

Never heard that expression before. Tree bowl?? Did you mean tree throw? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tree_throw

Excavation Skills! - Steve H - 9th September 2011

kevin wooldridge Wrote:Never heard that expression before. Tree bowl?? Did you mean tree throw? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tree_throw

I know what a tree throw is (crescent shaped hole left by the tree falling over, bringing its root bowl with it), I've dug up prehistoric ones and seen modern ones after the 1987 storms.
The problem is, many excavators seem to interpret any oval hole with a low amount of cultural material as a 'tree bowl', but after 20 years digging I still don't know what they are!

Excavation Skills! - Dirty Dave Lincoln - 9th September 2011

I've heard this one 'tree bowl/bole' been used as well, though trying to explain to some people that just because a dead feature has had a tree/bush sinking its roots through it doesn't mean it was not a real feature in the first place!!

Excavation Skills! - makapanman - 9th September 2011

Thanks again folks. Nice to see some of my ideas coming up and some new ones too.

I am looking at practical activities we can do as well as some classroom based.

I wondered if there was some confusion between a 'bowl-shaped depression' which might be left by the collapsed root system of a tree or bush and a 'tree-bole' (which on my understanding is the above ground part of the root system and the tree trunk up to the level that the first branches begin)....Is the expression 'tree bowl' in common archaeological usage in some parts of the UK? I tried googling 'tree bowl*archaeology' and got no hits....

Excavation Skills! - Jack - 9th September 2011

A tree bole is the root and trunk (bottom of the trunk I think).

Not all tree-related feature is created by a tree falling over. Some trees/shrubs boles are pulled/dug out or burnt out.

I have even seen tree boles (stumps) being blasted out of the ground with slow-dynamite (I have interesting relatives!)

I've also heard tree grub-hole (my favourite).

I'm so sad that when on holiday/ going for walks I love investigating modern tree-throws and grub-holes. I've seen some that scarily look like dug pits where a tree with a certain root structure falls in such a way that the whole root bole comes out of the ground leaving a negative feature with fairly good edges all the way round......xx(

Maybe a quick spin through an updated archaeological glossary could be a valuable lesson if 'tree-bowl' is anything to go by. I would sign up for that course.

I seem to be totally out of touch with modern day 'DigSpeak'....(I recently had to have someone explain to me what the expression 'hench' meant in terms of describing a fellow digger...)

Excavation Skills! - Dirty Dave Lincoln - 9th September 2011

kevin wooldridge Wrote:Maybe a quick spin through an updated archaeological glossary could be a valuable lesson if 'tree-bowl' is anything to go by. I would sign up for that course.

I seem to be totally out of touch with modern day 'DigSpeak'....(I recently had to have someone explain to me what the expression 'hench' meant in terms of describing a fellow digger...)

Same here I think-what IS a 'hench' by the way??