The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined array key "avatartype" - Line: 783 - File: global.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 783 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined array key "avatartype" - Line: 783 - File: global.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 783 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined variable $awaitingusers - Line: 34 - File: global.php(844) : eval()'d code PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php(844) : eval()'d code 34 errorHandler->error
/global.php 844 eval
Warning [2] Undefined array key "style" - Line: 909 - File: global.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 909 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$lang_select_default - Line: 5010 - File: inc/functions.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions.php 5010 errorHandler->error
/global.php 909 build_theme_select
Warning [2] Undefined array key "additionalgroups" - Line: 7045 - File: inc/functions.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions.php 7045 errorHandler->error
/inc/functions.php 5030 is_member
/global.php 909 build_theme_select
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$archive_pages - Line: 2 - File: printthread.php(257) : eval()'d code PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php(257) : eval()'d code 2 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 257 eval
/printthread.php 117 printthread_multipage
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 160 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 160 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 165 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 165 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 160 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 165 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key 1 - Line: 801 - File: inc/class_parser.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_parser.php 801 errorHandler->error
/inc/class_parser.php 866 postParser->mycode_parse_post_quotes
[PHP]   postParser->mycode_parse_post_quotes_callback1
/inc/class_parser.php 751 preg_replace_callback
/inc/class_parser.php 431 postParser->mycode_parse_quotes
/inc/class_parser.php 187 postParser->parse_mycode
/printthread.php 179 postParser->parse_message
Warning [2] Undefined array key 1 - Line: 820 - File: inc/class_parser.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_parser.php 820 errorHandler->error
File Line Function
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key 1 - Line: 801 - File: inc/class_parser.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key 1 - Line: 820 - File: inc/class_parser.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function

BAJR Federation Archaeology
IfA/AAIS merger - Printable Version

+- BAJR Federation Archaeology (http://www.bajrfed.co.uk)
+-- Forum: BAJR Federation Forums (http://www.bajrfed.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: The Site Hut (http://www.bajrfed.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Thread: IfA/AAIS merger (/showthread.php?tid=4037)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

IfA/AAIS merger - BAJR - 8th August 2011

Quote:The apathy is endemic, and rather dissapointingly so is the 'them and us' attitude which still seems to be crippling the ability of archaeologists to unite. I think the IfA is as good a banner as any to do this under as it is what you make of it.

Well said, if sadly too true.

I myself am just about burned out from all the work BAJR has done over the past 12 years. and with some few exceptions, it has been alone. some people have helped greatly, others just complain that BAJR does not do enough. Or for every step forward (often the build up is never seen - nor do I like to make public any success - rather it just appears as if by magic or is credited elsewhere) there are those that leap onto any mistake. People seem to love to complain, but rare are those that help make it better.

I do believe that BAJRites have made a great difference.. by having views aired in public - by making it relevant... so lets hope we can do something with the future as the grains of sand start the final decent through the egg timer of archaeology

IfA/AAIS merger - Dinosaur - 8th August 2011

P Prentice Wrote:another pile of dinosaur shite. standards are an absolute necessity. no doubt yours are adequate but you are always bleating about how many others are not and how much more difficult your life is because they are not! who's on the high horse?

Err, sadly most if not all of the organisations producing the material I've been complaining about are RAOs - IFA is clearly unable to maintain or enforce any of their much-vaunted standards, so what actually is the point in it existing?

And are you planning to make any substantive contribution to this discussion? :face-stir:

IfA/AAIS merger - P Prentice - 9th August 2011

Dinosaur Wrote:Err, sadly most if not all of the organisations producing the material I've been complaining about are RAOs - IFA is clearly unable to maintain or enforce any of their much-vaunted standards, so what actually is the point in it existing?

And are you planning to make any substantive contribution to this discussion? :face-stir:

lol but you write on your wsi' that you will undertake the work according to their much-vaunted standards - so what does that make you?

IfA/AAIS merger - Sith - 9th August 2011

P Prentice Wrote:lol but you write on your wsi' that you will undertake the work according to their much-vaunted standards - so what does that make you?

Someone who follows the Standards?

IfA/AAIS merger - P Prentice - 9th August 2011

Sith Wrote:Someone who follows the Standards?

apparently saying you do isnt the same thing at all. do you know that he follows the standards, does anyone check, does the commissioning agent care, does the mounty know any better -are you related?

IfA/AAIS merger - GnomeKing - 9th August 2011

Lizard Shape-shifters dont need your Earthly 'Standards' !

(stirry stick, stiry stick, stick up your...)

IfA/AAIS merger - BAJR - 9th August 2011

Meanwhile back in the realms of the topic.

I am beginning to think P P and Dino are husband and wife (after the divorce)

So I take it that in general, people feel that the merger should or should not have taken place, however, the options were not available - as they had only been reported here months ago, discussed and read.

Sigh... nothing like getting involved says I... which is why the merger went ahead.

:face-kiss:

That was not directed against anyone... just a general impotent internal sigh

IfA/AAIS merger - RedEarth - 9th August 2011

BAJR Wrote:Meanwhile back in the realms of the topic.

I am beginning to think P P and Dino are husband and wife (after the divorce)

So I take it that in general, people feel that the merger should or should not have taken place, however, the options were not available - as they had only been reported here months ago, discussed and read.

Sigh... nothing like getting involved says I... which is why the merger went ahead.

:face-kiss:

That was not directed against anyone... just a general impotent internal sigh

No, the point I have tried to make repeatedly on this thread is that the options were only given to the (now former) members of the AAIS, not to the members of the IfA who had no vote and apparently no say in it. Sends a good message doesn't it, join the IfA and get no say! That is a real feeling of impotence.

IfA/AAIS merger - GnomeKing - 9th August 2011

IFA ASSI whatever! not sure i care particularly

(non-title-topic flag waver)

...but this issue of ROA's vs 'Lone Operators' and the document-able failures of Enforcing even basic Standards in both camps, just will not go away...its been around since, oh i dont know, the Dinosaurs?

The blame must rest firmly with the IFA and County Officials (sorry) - there is no body else who can feasibly monitor standards, so they must take the initial blame, regardless of whatever circumstances have lead to this poor state of affairs (next step is find out what went wrong...)

I've seen total shite and utter non-sense from eg: VeryVery Large R OA'S, on both small and very substantial sites ("i will go before congress to testify, Amen") - we ALL have, ffs!!!! total knife-edge professional near-cock-ups are common place!!!! I AM FED UP WITH IT, ESPECIALLY AS THE IFA APPEARS TO BE HEAVILY LOBBIED BY A FEW BIG COMMERCIAL INTERESTS!!!!! (very angry, but impotent face,)

- How do i maintain standards (if in the proffesion) / how do i make sure others do (if i am not in the profession)?!!!
(accountability/copyright/peer-review/collaboration)

IfA/AAIS merger - Jack - 10th August 2011

Urk............I agree Gnome. I've seen it.

In one case a large utility-type operator was let off with sub-standard preliminary and half-arsed DBA's produced by recent graduates with no experience, then allowed to complete whole sections of the job with no further monitoring based on this and a phone call to the county. 'It'll all be in the road verge.....honest'

Not saying any archaeology was damaged, or that the county was at fault. But it illuminates the flaws in the system..........overtaxed and underpowered county archaeologists who often have what little authority they wield undermined by the frankly not unbiased bods above them.

Its not only archaeology that suffers from this. I've seen it happen to county ecologists (sustainability officers) and even in building control! (be wary house buyers!)

The county let it happen (or can't stop it), the IfA are in no way involved.