The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined array key "avatartype" - Line: 783 - File: global.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 783 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined array key "avatartype" - Line: 783 - File: global.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 783 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined variable $awaitingusers - Line: 34 - File: global.php(844) : eval()'d code PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php(844) : eval()'d code 34 errorHandler->error
/global.php 844 eval
Warning [2] Undefined array key "style" - Line: 909 - File: global.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 909 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$lang_select_default - Line: 5010 - File: inc/functions.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions.php 5010 errorHandler->error
/global.php 909 build_theme_select
Warning [2] Undefined array key "additionalgroups" - Line: 7045 - File: inc/functions.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions.php 7045 errorHandler->error
/inc/functions.php 5030 is_member
/global.php 909 build_theme_select
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$archive_pages - Line: 2 - File: printthread.php(257) : eval()'d code PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php(257) : eval()'d code 2 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 257 eval
/printthread.php 117 printthread_multipage
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 160 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 160 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 165 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 165 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 160 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 165 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key 1 - Line: 801 - File: inc/class_parser.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_parser.php 801 errorHandler->error
/inc/class_parser.php 866 postParser->mycode_parse_post_quotes
[PHP]   postParser->mycode_parse_post_quotes_callback1
/inc/class_parser.php 751 preg_replace_callback
/inc/class_parser.php 431 postParser->mycode_parse_quotes
/inc/class_parser.php 187 postParser->parse_mycode
/printthread.php 179 postParser->parse_message
Warning [2] Undefined array key 1 - Line: 820 - File: inc/class_parser.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_parser.php 820 errorHandler->error
/inc/class_parser.php 866 postParser->mycode_parse_post_quotes
[PHP]   postParser->mycode_parse_post_quotes_callback1
/inc/class_parser.php 751 preg_replace_callback
/inc/class_parser.php 431 postParser->mycode_parse_quotes
/inc/class_parser.php 187 postParser->parse_mycode
/printthread.php 179 postParser->parse_message
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function

BAJR Federation Archaeology
Evolutionary v Interpretaive archaeology.... - Printable Version

+- BAJR Federation Archaeology (http://www.bajrfed.co.uk)
+-- Forum: BAJR Federation Forums (http://www.bajrfed.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: The Site Hut (http://www.bajrfed.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Thread: Evolutionary v Interpretaive archaeology.... (/showthread.php?tid=3991)

Pages: 1 2 3

Evolutionary v Interpretaive archaeology.... - kevin wooldridge - 27th June 2011

I received an advance review this morning for a new collection of essays that, I am informed, will give me both sides of the arguement in the debate between evolutionary archaeology and interpretive archaeology theorists.

I wan't actually aware that such a debate was going on and personally feel perfectly happy to reconcile both approaches, but I thought I might ask BAJRites to fill me in on what I might be missing here. Are the two approaches incompatible? Who are the main protagonists in this debate? Is there a noddy guide to the subject?

PS I don't need to know whether this will affect the pension arrangements of any of the individuals involved Wink

Evolutionary v Interpretaive archaeology.... - Jack - 29th June 2011

Not heard of this one before..................sounds like Environmental determinism vs post-processual

Evolutionary v Interpretaive archaeology.... - gwyl - 29th June 2011

the former is guff from the formerly wonderful IoA UCL; the latter is surely what we do on a day to day basis.
but i am only fit for the dirty end of the job, not the tinking end :face-stir:

check out the Institute's webpage, Kevin, as i believe they are the only place bothered with this allegedly nodding donkey...

Evolutionary v Interpretaive archaeology.... - kevin wooldridge - 29th June 2011

My understanding is that evolutionary archaeology effectively denies that 'culture' develops through the imperative of man alone and is subject to the same forces that determine evolution i.e the complex form of the simplistic term 'survival of the fittest' and survival on demand. The latter as you say Gwyl is 'what we do on a day to day basis'.....Still can't see why the new book suggests that the two theories are incompatible....oh well another mystery to ponder in the wee small hours or after a good few drinks!!

Evolutionary v Interpretaive archaeology.... - deadlylampshade - 29th June 2011

kevin wooldridge Wrote:My understanding is that evolutionary archaeology effectively denies that 'culture' develops through the imperative of man alone and is subject to the same forces that determine evolution i.e the complex form of the simplistic term 'survival of the fittest' and survival on demand. The latter as you say Gwyl is 'what we do on a day to day basis'.....Still can't see why the new book suggests that the two theories are incompatible....oh well another mystery to ponder in the wee small hours or after a good few drinks!!

Wot he said.

I think...:face-huh:

Evolutionary v Interpretaive archaeology.... - Dinosaur - 29th June 2011

Hands up anyone who cares? :face-stir:

Evolutionary v Interpretaive archaeology.... - Wax - 29th June 2011

not unless it will get me a safe job (and a pension) Wink

Evolutionary v Interpretaive archaeology.... - kevin wooldridge - 29th June 2011

Well I care otherwise I wouldn't have asked ... but then again I'm employed in 'commercial archaeology'. Are you suggesting Dinosaur that means I should give up on thinking?

Evolutionary v Interpretaive archaeology.... - moreno - 29th June 2011

Archaeological spin. Good to keep up to date with the latest, IF one is interested. :face-approve:

Evolutionary v Interpretaive archaeology.... - archie - 30th June 2011

Hello, long time observer of Bajr, first time poster.....here goes!

I would have to agree with Kevin on this one adn those who believe theory doesn't have anything to do with commercial archaeology are severly mistaken.....theory is a part of all that we do, whether your particularly interested in it or not!