The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined array key "avatartype" - Line: 783 - File: global.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 783 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined array key "avatartype" - Line: 783 - File: global.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 783 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined variable $awaitingusers - Line: 34 - File: global.php(844) : eval()'d code PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php(844) : eval()'d code 34 errorHandler->error
/global.php 844 eval
Warning [2] Undefined array key "style" - Line: 909 - File: global.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 909 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$lang_select_default - Line: 5010 - File: inc/functions.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions.php 5010 errorHandler->error
/global.php 909 build_theme_select
Warning [2] Undefined array key "additionalgroups" - Line: 7045 - File: inc/functions.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions.php 7045 errorHandler->error
/inc/functions.php 5030 is_member
/global.php 909 build_theme_select
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 160 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 160 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 165 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 165 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 160 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 165 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function

BAJR Federation Archaeology
Advice on reporting found object of possible historical value - Printable Version

+- BAJR Federation Archaeology (http://www.bajrfed.co.uk)
+-- Forum: BAJR Federation Forums (http://www.bajrfed.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: The Site Hut (http://www.bajrfed.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Thread: Advice on reporting found object of possible historical value (/showthread.php?tid=3947)

Advice on reporting found object of possible historical value - jonho - 22nd May 2011

Hello
Sorry about the winded title.

I found a stone on snowdownia some years back, and it has an inscription on it - and having done some research, it might be an old form of the Irish language.

Can anyone advice on how I would attempt to prove this; I suppose through some relevant institution.

Any links or tips would be much appreciated.

Thank you

Advice on reporting found object of possible historical value - Sparky - 22nd May 2011

Hi,

Could you post some photos, please.

I would recommend contacting George Nash and sending him a photo.

His email address is georgenash@btinternet.com

Please let us know what he thinks.

Good luck.

Advice on reporting found object of possible historical value - jonho - 22nd May 2011

Hi

Thanks for the reply and for advice. Can I ask, this is George Nash? : http://www.archaeology-safaris.co.uk/gn/index.html

Thanks again

Dylan

I can see from the emails that it is! {:}

Advice on reporting found object of possible historical value - Drunky - 23rd May 2011

Hi

You could also try Dr Nancy Edwards at Bangor university in North Wales she heads up the A Corpus of Early Medieval Inscribed Stones and Stone Sculpture in Wales project and has published two vols about stone sculpture in Wales and is currently in the process of publishing the third vol which covers North Wales. She is also the chair the National Committee for the recording and protection of early medieval inscribed stones and stone sculpture in Wales.

If i remember my uni days i think she is also an expert in Ogham script so she could prob tell you if it's real or not based on photo

Her e-mails his010@bangor.ac.uk and good luck

Advice on reporting found object of possible historical value - trowelfodder - 23rd May 2011

This is not intended to contradict the above post but these people should also be contacted:

Mark Lodwick - he runs the Welsh portable antiquities scheme and is based at Cardiff museum - this scheme aims to record all archaeological items over 300 years old (and selected more recent finds) found in Wales and is not only concerned with metal artefacts.

Gwynedd Archaeological Trust HER would probably be interested in recording the find spot

And as an aside the Margam stone museum (CADW owned I think) would be a great place to contact for more info

and lastly Snowdon Parks authority has its own archaeologist - John Roberts and I would have though he would also have an interest

Advice on reporting found object of possible historical value - pdurdin - 26th May 2011

(when do we get to see it?) Big Grin

Advice on reporting found object of possible historical value - BAJR - 26th May 2011

ditto. would be good to have a gander. we seem to be doing well with identification just now and as ever the portable antiqquities scheme is a good start

Advice on reporting found object of possible historical value - Dinosaur - 26th May 2011

...and ever better Unit doesn't seem to be interested in these types of threads }Smile