The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined array key "avatartype" - Line: 783 - File: global.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 783 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined array key "avatartype" - Line: 783 - File: global.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 783 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined variable $awaitingusers - Line: 34 - File: global.php(844) : eval()'d code PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php(844) : eval()'d code 34 errorHandler->error
/global.php 844 eval
Warning [2] Undefined array key "style" - Line: 909 - File: global.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 909 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$lang_select_default - Line: 5010 - File: inc/functions.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions.php 5010 errorHandler->error
/global.php 909 build_theme_select
Warning [2] Undefined array key "additionalgroups" - Line: 7045 - File: inc/functions.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions.php 7045 errorHandler->error
/inc/functions.php 5030 is_member
/global.php 909 build_theme_select
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$archive_pages - Line: 2 - File: printthread.php(257) : eval()'d code PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php(257) : eval()'d code 2 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 257 eval
/printthread.php 117 printthread_multipage
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 160 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 160 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 165 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 165 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 160 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 165 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key 1 - Line: 801 - File: inc/class_parser.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_parser.php 801 errorHandler->error
/inc/class_parser.php 866 postParser->mycode_parse_post_quotes
[PHP]   postParser->mycode_parse_post_quotes_callback1
/inc/class_parser.php 751 preg_replace_callback
/inc/class_parser.php 431 postParser->mycode_parse_quotes
/inc/class_parser.php 187 postParser->parse_mycode
/printthread.php 179 postParser->parse_message
Warning [2] Undefined array key 1 - Line: 820 - File: inc/class_parser.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_parser.php 820 errorHandler->error
File Line Function
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key 1 - Line: 801 - File: inc/class_parser.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key 1 - Line: 820 - File: inc/class_parser.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function

BAJR Federation Archaeology
Q: how many archaeologists does it take to ruin an industry? - Printable Version

+- BAJR Federation Archaeology (http://www.bajrfed.co.uk)
+-- Forum: BAJR Federation Forums (http://www.bajrfed.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: The Site Hut (http://www.bajrfed.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Thread: Q: how many archaeologists does it take to ruin an industry? (/showthread.php?tid=3809)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

Q: how many archaeologists does it take to ruin an industry? - BAJR - 28th March 2011

Ah you took the words out my mouth... This thread is being diverted.

(New ways of operating the forum are coming in... more open... more useful... and any thread diversion will be politely brought back on track after a gentle warning - moved OR deleted.)

This thread asked how many archaeologists does it take to ruin an industry... the answer seems to be one... (unit of!)

Q: how many archaeologists does it take to ruin an industry? - deadlylampshade - 29th March 2011

Hmm...

Commercial Archaeology. (I am assuming to have an industry there must be someone to work in it and run the "business").

I will probably get my head bitten off for this but I have yet to come across many properly commercial brains in the archaeological companies/units I have come across of late. Simply put Archaeology is not, for the most part, run as a business.

And for this reason, perhaps, there are not many commercially aware brains employed in those agencies supposed to represent "professional archaeologists" and therefore far too many academics who rarely have to survive in a cut throat business world.

Perhaps the question should be "who let the luncatics run the asylum"?

I have seen little leadership and seriously, seriously poor personnel management. And sadly the younger members of staff take their lead from the only roll models they have...which tend to be of the "it was like that when I were a lad so get on with it" school of management practice.

If archaeology wants to be taken seriously as an industry and therefore a business it needs to sharpen up.

My own opinion - which again will be unpopular - is that "commercial archaeology" has cut it's own throat due to a lack of regulation. Undercutting quotes to get the job is just snatching the bread from our colleagues' mouths and has little to do with the archaeology. Indeed, it is the archaeology which suffers in the long run with finds and samples rotting in bags and reports unwritten with no funding left for processing or publication.

I am retiring to the bar now for a stifner and await an onslaught...

Q: how many archaeologists does it take to ruin an industry? - P Prentice - 29th March 2011

it could be that there is now too many business minded archaeologists being pushy with their thatcherite 'whats wrong with honest competition' refrain and not enough archaeologists looking at the long term and the need to present a united front

Q: how many archaeologists does it take to ruin an industry? - P Prentice - 29th March 2011

though i should add that there were never many good old days -

Q: how many archaeologists does it take to ruin an industry? - Sith - 29th March 2011

deadlylampshade Wrote:I ]If archaeology wants to be taken seriously as an industry and therefore a business it needs to sharpen up.

I agree, although some companies are 'sharper' than others when it comes to management paractice. An example of how thing could be done better comes from the Radioactive Fallout and Fieldwork thread. If the archaeological contractor concerned had instantly put in an early warning of a claim for delay leading to unproductive time when the farmer dumped junk all over their site, the principal contractor would have had the whole thing sorted out in double-quick time.

Q: how many archaeologists does it take to ruin an industry? - Dinosaur - 29th March 2011

P Prentice Wrote:though i should add that there were never many good old days -

I seem to remember quite a few actually, but then my optician keeps sending me reminders that my rose-tinted spectacles are overdue for expensive replacement....:face-crying:

I think the proof of who has business-minded management will be borne-out by who's still standing and has a healthy business after all the current crises? :face-stir:

Q: how many archaeologists does it take to ruin an industry? - Jack - 29th March 2011

Sith Wrote:................. An example of how thing could be done better comes from the Radioactive Fallout and Fieldwork thread. If the archaeological contractor concerned had instantly put in an early warning of a claim for delay leading to unproductive time when the farmer dumped junk all over their site, the principal contractor would have had the whole thing sorted out in double-quick time.

It was. There was no delay for us, the point was to highlight the attitude of the farmers.

An interesting comment based on the limited information.
You seem to have the wrong end of the wrong stick.

Dinosaur Wrote:I seem to remember quite a few actually, but then my optician keeps sending me reminders that my rose-tinted spectacles are overdue for expensive replacement....:face-crying:

in this instance i was referring to the fact that archaeology was no better served in the past - just look at the staggering amount of unpublished excavations from those halcyon pre PPG days, not to mention the pathetic pay

I think the proof of who has business-minded management will be borne-out by who's still standing and has a healthy business after all the current crises? :face-stir:

i dont see how any surviving business will be a credit to the surviving archaeology when any surviving business will perforce have compromised the archaeology it has done business with

Q: how many archaeologists does it take to ruin an industry? - deadlylampshade - 29th March 2011

P Prentice Wrote:i dont see how any surviving business will be a credit to the surviving archaeology when any surviving business will perforce have compromised the archaeology it has done business with

Hear, hear - my point exactly.

There is a distinct difference between being sharper/better at business than condoning sharp practive. That is why we are where we are ...fast buck, bit of kudos in a report, sod the archaeology (and, dare I add, the grass root diggers!)

I am trying to think of another "industry" when the majority of the productive workforce are considered a "disposible asset" and dismissed as soon as the money gets tight...in the knowledge that someone, somewhere will accept low wages and a short term contract (always hoping for a permanenet contract) and do the job for them.

Still pondering that one...

Q: how many archaeologists does it take to ruin an industry? - Boxoffrogs - 29th March 2011

Deadlylampshade "I am trying to think of another "industry" when the majority of the productive workforce are considered a "disposible asset" and dismissed as soon as the money gets tight..."

Try any major consultancy in the UK!