The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined array key "avatartype" - Line: 783 - File: global.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 783 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined array key "avatartype" - Line: 783 - File: global.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 783 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined variable $awaitingusers - Line: 34 - File: global.php(844) : eval()'d code PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php(844) : eval()'d code 34 errorHandler->error
/global.php 844 eval
Warning [2] Undefined array key "style" - Line: 909 - File: global.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 909 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$lang_select_default - Line: 5010 - File: inc/functions.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions.php 5010 errorHandler->error
/global.php 909 build_theme_select
Warning [2] Undefined array key "additionalgroups" - Line: 7045 - File: inc/functions.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions.php 7045 errorHandler->error
/inc/functions.php 5030 is_member
/global.php 909 build_theme_select
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$archive_pages - Line: 2 - File: printthread.php(257) : eval()'d code PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php(257) : eval()'d code 2 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 257 eval
/printthread.php 117 printthread_multipage
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 160 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 160 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 165 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 165 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key 1 - Line: 801 - File: inc/class_parser.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_parser.php 801 errorHandler->error
/inc/class_parser.php 866 postParser->mycode_parse_post_quotes
[PHP]   postParser->mycode_parse_post_quotes_callback1
/inc/class_parser.php 751 preg_replace_callback
/inc/class_parser.php 431 postParser->mycode_parse_quotes
/inc/class_parser.php 187 postParser->parse_mycode
/printthread.php 179 postParser->parse_message
Warning [2] Undefined array key 1 - Line: 820 - File: inc/class_parser.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_parser.php 820 errorHandler->error
/inc/class_parser.php 866 postParser->mycode_parse_post_quotes
[PHP]   postParser->mycode_parse_post_quotes_callback1
/inc/class_parser.php 751 preg_replace_callback
/inc/class_parser.php 431 postParser->mycode_parse_quotes
/inc/class_parser.php 187 postParser->parse_mycode
/printthread.php 179 postParser->parse_message
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 160 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 165 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function

BAJR Federation Archaeology
Museums: Bridging the gap in PPS5? - Contract and Academic Archaeology - Printable Version

+- BAJR Federation Archaeology (http://www.bajrfed.co.uk)
+-- Forum: BAJR Federation Forums (http://www.bajrfed.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: The Site Hut (http://www.bajrfed.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Thread: Museums: Bridging the gap in PPS5? - Contract and Academic Archaeology (/showthread.php?tid=3614)

Pages: 1 2

Museums: Bridging the gap in PPS5? - Contract and Academic Archaeology - gwyl - 2nd December 2010

Dinosaur Wrote:an environment where the few surviving curators can no longer keep track of anything happening on their patches, and the academic sector becomes more and more divorced from the archaeological 'real' world...
just a thought, not entirely unrelated and perhaps not wholly relevant, but maybe: how many academics submit WSIs/Research Frameworks/Programmes of Works to curators, in whose patches they are working?
such an attitude does not help foster cooperation between academic and private sector; i may be wrong about the curatorial division feel about such, but if i were a curator, i'd be a little bit underwhelmed not to see these sort of documents float under my nose...

Museums: Bridging the gap in PPS5? - Contract and Academic Archaeology - Carrickavoy - 2nd December 2010

@gwyl I think you've brought up a really good point. The museum sector in general has the ability to bridge the gap between contract and research archaeology, as well as the wider community.

I've been involved in county research framework, not in the U.

Museums: Bridging the gap in PPS5? - Contract and Academic Archaeology - BAJR - 2nd December 2010

Moved from another thread... This is an interesting proposition... one worth exploring in greater depth.

Museums: Bridging the gap in PPS5? - Contract and Academic Archaeology - TimberWolf - 2nd December 2010

Just a quick observation regarding the title of this thread. Surely all archaeology is research! A better title might have been Museums: Bridging the gap in PPS5? - Contract and Academic/Archaeology, with the term academic covering educational institutions, local societies and private individuals.

Whilst non planning led archaeology is not normally done to a brief issued by the local County Mountie anyone working in the area should at least let the Mountie know what is going on, its only polite and may reveal some useful information regarding recent work.

There is far to much 'them and us' we need to be complementing each other, not slagging each other off.

(BAJR Host edit: It has been done .. much better wording ... thank you)

Museums: Bridging the gap in PPS5? - Contract and Academic Archaeology - Dinosaur - 2nd December 2010

Good grief, a thread that starts with someone quoting me and hasn't turned into a Dinosaur-kicking-fest :face-approve:
-am sure it won't last....

It would require some pretty big changes in the way a lot of musuems are operated/funded to allow them to supply that service? A lot of the one's I've had dealings are mainly just horrified that we want to dump 300 boxes of non-displayable tat on them along with a big cheque, and don't obviously have the means to deal with the realities of field archaeology much beyond that (no insult to museum staff intended and I'm sure it varies widely, just my own limited personal experience) - don't forget that their curatorial role in that area was in general pretty much removed by the setting up of SMRs which was long enough ago that most museum staff are now of a generation which is unfamiliar with that concept as part of their normal workload

Museums: Bridging the gap in PPS5? - Contract and Academic Archaeology - vulpes - 2nd December 2010

Interesting.... kind of. But given that a lot of County Museums are funded by Councils who are facing huge cuts to budgets and staff. I'm not sure that the sector is in a position to take on the responsibilities of development management archaeologists, or indeed that they should, we have complimentary roles to play...

But, on the other point, yes, a lot of responsible academics do share their findings and indeed use HER data and PPG/PPS reports in broader studies.

Museums: Bridging the gap in PPS5? - Contract and Academic Archaeology - BAJR - 2nd December 2010

[QUOTE][-am sure it won't last.... /QUOTE]
Give us time... Wink

But seriously... Development Control Archs and Museums could work well together... and admit it... better than today. Would this not be a good way to both bring sectors together AND create a framework for Research. I remember myself, driving past a site.. not a clue it was on... University of xxxxx another site... same again... perhaps they did not think they should. after all permissions had been given from Historic Scotland. The sectors have to join up in a way that is more than just - we hope they will. And lets not forget the local groups.

Museums: Bridging the gap in PPS5? - Contract and Academic Archaeology - vulpes - 3rd December 2010

you're right, but as Duncan Brown (I think) of the Society for Museum Archaeologists pointed out at the IfA conference a couple of years ago (y'know, back when local government archaeologists were allowed to stray that far from the office) both PPG16 and PPS5 place extra burdens on the museum sector without necessarily providing the funding to go with. There are lots of good examples of all sectors working together. For those not blessed with large teams or budgets it's really the only way to tackle outreach for example. As for local museums leading research in the form of excavation, at least in this region, I'd struggle to find an example - beyond perhaps London.

Museums: Bridging the gap in PPS5? - Contract and Academic Archaeology - Dinosaur - 3rd December 2010

Tyne and Wear Museum Service :0

Museums: Bridging the gap in PPS5? - Contract and Academic Archaeology - BAJR - 3rd December 2010

Are you able to furnish with example online? That would be helpful.. cheers