The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined array key "avatartype" - Line: 783 - File: global.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 783 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined array key "avatartype" - Line: 783 - File: global.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 783 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined variable $awaitingusers - Line: 34 - File: global.php(844) : eval()'d code PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php(844) : eval()'d code 34 errorHandler->error
/global.php 844 eval
Warning [2] Undefined array key "style" - Line: 909 - File: global.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 909 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$lang_select_default - Line: 5010 - File: inc/functions.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions.php 5010 errorHandler->error
/global.php 909 build_theme_select
Warning [2] Undefined array key "additionalgroups" - Line: 7045 - File: inc/functions.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions.php 7045 errorHandler->error
/inc/functions.php 5030 is_member
/global.php 909 build_theme_select
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$archive_pages - Line: 2 - File: printthread.php(257) : eval()'d code PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php(257) : eval()'d code 2 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 257 eval
/printthread.php 117 printthread_multipage
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 160 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 160 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 165 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 165 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 160 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 165 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function

BAJR Federation Archaeology
Good books/articles on Industrial Archaeology - Printable Version

+- BAJR Federation Archaeology (http://www.bajrfed.co.uk)
+-- Forum: BAJR Federation Forums (http://www.bajrfed.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: The Site Hut (http://www.bajrfed.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Thread: Good books/articles on Industrial Archaeology (/showthread.php?tid=3477)

Pages: 1 2

Good books/articles on Industrial Archaeology - Perry - 28th September 2010

Hi all,

I'm wondering if you fine people can recomend any good guides on industrial archaeology. It seems this information is going to be extremely useful for me to know about in the near future.

Cheers

Good books/articles on Industrial Archaeology - Dinosaur - 28th September 2010

Can you narrow that down? Big difference between an open air rope-walk (couple of groups of postholes 500m apart) and a munitions factory (3 square miles of concrete)....

Good books/articles on Industrial Archaeology - vulpes - 28th September 2010

De re metallica

Good piccies (so ideal for the average archaeologist) and background on processes :face-approve:

Bit light on how to actually go about digging the stuff up and what you're going to be poisoned by in the process thoughxx(

....has anyone ever a done a handy guide for diggers on things-you-shouldn't-poke-you-finger-into-if-you-don't-want-all-your-skin-to-fall-off for those of you without A-level chemistry/physics?

Good books/articles on Industrial Archaeology - vulpes - 28th September 2010

owt by Arthur Raistrick too.

Good books/articles on Industrial Archaeology - Perry - 28th September 2010

Thanks very much for the suggestions so far, in answer to this question:

Quote:Can you narrow that down? Big difference between an open air rope-walk (couple of groups of postholes 500m apart) and a munitions factory (3 square miles of concrete)....

At the moment, good introductions to the topic, particulary where I can learn key terminology. I've always been a bit of fan of prehistoric stuff tbh, now I'm coming up against more industrial stuff in my current job and would like to get to grips asap with this decidedly more recent materials!

Good books/articles on Industrial Archaeology - Wax - 28th September 2010

Try "Dictionary of Industrial Archaeology" William Jones ISBN 0-7509-1021-6
Nice bit of bed time reading

Wax

Good books/articles on Industrial Archaeology - kevin wooldridge - 29th September 2010

I agree with Vulpes: De Metallica and anything by Raistrick are very good. I would also recommend anything by Ronadl Tilecote if you are interested in the history of the iron indusrty.

My favourite book: Straker, Wealden iron. I used to wander aroud Ashdown Forest following Straker's excellent guide to furnace and smithying sites. Still pretty relevant 80 years after its original publication...

Good books/articles on Industrial Archaeology - VGC - 30th September 2010

Not much to contribute but I have a copy of the Dictionary of Industrial Archaeology I'm looking to get rid of.

I bought it when I was working on a lot of industrial sites, but now I'm in the office, it's not much use.

Probably about ?5 and postage.

PM me if you're interested.