The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined array key "avatartype" - Line: 783 - File: global.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 783 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined array key "avatartype" - Line: 783 - File: global.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 783 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined variable $awaitingusers - Line: 34 - File: global.php(844) : eval()'d code PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php(844) : eval()'d code 34 errorHandler->error
/global.php 844 eval
Warning [2] Undefined array key "style" - Line: 909 - File: global.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 909 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$lang_select_default - Line: 5010 - File: inc/functions.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions.php 5010 errorHandler->error
/global.php 909 build_theme_select
Warning [2] Undefined array key "additionalgroups" - Line: 7045 - File: inc/functions.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions.php 7045 errorHandler->error
/inc/functions.php 5030 is_member
/global.php 909 build_theme_select
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$archive_pages - Line: 2 - File: printthread.php(257) : eval()'d code PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php(257) : eval()'d code 2 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 257 eval
/printthread.php 117 printthread_multipage
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 160 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 160 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 165 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 165 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 160 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 165 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function

BAJR Federation Archaeology
Moral quandry! What would you do?? - Printable Version

+- BAJR Federation Archaeology (http://www.bajrfed.co.uk)
+-- Forum: BAJR Federation Forums (http://www.bajrfed.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: The Site Hut (http://www.bajrfed.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Thread: Moral quandry! What would you do?? (/showthread.php?tid=3442)

Pages: 1 2

Moral quandry! What would you do?? - FedUp - 10th September 2010

Ok, so here's some light entertainment for you on a Friday. For now we will call this a theoretical problem, but i was looking for some advice from all you grey-haired, 'in my day...', shovel monkeys. If you knew that a slightly horrific environmental crime, which may also be potentially illegal, was occurring on a site, what would you do??
Report them and risk being thrown of site and the safety of your job or stay schtum and be silently appalled by both their actions and you own cowardice?

Moral quandry! What would you do?? - drpeterwardle - 10th September 2010

No quandry.

There is nothing to report - you say "horrific environmental crime, which may also be potentially illegal," if is not illegal there is no crime. If what they are doing is illegal then that is a different matter. So the first thing to do is establish if a crime is actually taking place.

Peter

Well i would have presumed, although can't find anyone to ask, that mixing large (and i mean very large as in hundreds of tons) amounts of cement and lime straight into a peat bog would have required some kind of permission or licence. It isn't agricultural grade lime either, it's proper melt your flesh type of stuff. Is this bad??

I should add that this is in the area where a stream did/does run. Which presumably counts as polluting a water course?

Moral quandry! What would you do?? - Oxbeast - 10th September 2010

" So the first thing to do is establish if a crime is actually taking place."

Surely that is what the local authority pays environmental health officers for? The HSE might well be interested as well. I'd tell them, FedUp.

Moral quandry! What would you do?? - Steven - 10th September 2010

Hi
I'm confused here are they "mixing" cement or dumping it?

Moral quandry! What would you do?? - BAJR - 10th September 2010

Talk to the HSE... they have a confidential line... they could also tell you if it is illegal... or just not nice, but not illegal.

confidential HSE Infoline : 0845 345 0055

they are mixing both cement and lime directly into the peat, but the labourers have been told to, if asked, tell people that it is agricultural lime - which it isn't.

Moral quandry! What would you do?? - trainedchimp - 10th September 2010

Quote:Well i would have presumed, although can't find anyone to ask, that mixing large (and i mean very large as in hundreds of tons) amounts of cement and lime straight into a peat bog would have required some kind of permission or licence. It isn't agricultural grade lime either, it's proper melt your flesh type of stuff.

what, like putting in foundations?
Planning permission?

I'm assuming that there's actually a development reason why you're on the site (that someone might have told you at some point), and indeed why the site is where it is (ditto)- that should make it pretty clear whether what's going on is actually part of a development or some random environmental crime...

Moral quandry! What would you do?? - FedUp - 11th September 2010

Yes, trained chimp, there is a very good reason why i'm on site, i was just trying to be discreet otherwise i would have said who I am, where it is , and who the client is!!!
But thanks for that slightly patronising post.
They're mixing it in in attempt to stabillise the ground not as part of the construction but as a desperate attempt to dry the ground out, but i know they don't have permission for it and the fact that they've been told to lie about it suggests it can't be good!

Moral quandry! What would you do?? - Unitof1 - 11th September 2010

buried far too deeply in the ifa codes is that any archaeologists should seek the permission of anybody who has rights over the land. Do you know who that is in this case?