The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined array key "avatartype" - Line: 783 - File: global.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 783 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined array key "avatartype" - Line: 783 - File: global.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 783 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined variable $awaitingusers - Line: 34 - File: global.php(844) : eval()'d code PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php(844) : eval()'d code 34 errorHandler->error
/global.php 844 eval
Warning [2] Undefined array key "style" - Line: 909 - File: global.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 909 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$lang_select_default - Line: 5010 - File: inc/functions.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions.php 5010 errorHandler->error
/global.php 909 build_theme_select
Warning [2] Undefined array key "additionalgroups" - Line: 7045 - File: inc/functions.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions.php 7045 errorHandler->error
/inc/functions.php 5030 is_member
/global.php 909 build_theme_select
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$archive_pages - Line: 2 - File: printthread.php(257) : eval()'d code PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php(257) : eval()'d code 2 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 257 eval
/printthread.php 117 printthread_multipage
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 160 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 160 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 165 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 165 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 160 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 165 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function

BAJR Federation Archaeology
Protection of the Historic Environment - Printable Version

+- BAJR Federation Archaeology (http://www.bajrfed.co.uk)
+-- Forum: BAJR Federation Forums (http://www.bajrfed.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: The Site Hut (http://www.bajrfed.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Thread: Protection of the Historic Environment (/showthread.php?tid=34)

Pages: 1 2

Protection of the Historic Environment - monitor lizard - 17th October 2005

Hi Barnsey

There's quite a number of ways to preserve 'setting'. For example, applications near a Scheduled Ancient Monument will always have setting taken into account. I assume this is true for some Listed Building consents, particularly those in Conservation Areas, where the character of the whole is maintained. If the site is a registered park & garden setting is important, and I suppose that in a round about way protected trees provide a character/setting to a landscape that can't be altered. In London views are protected (the Tower, St Paul's) which has an affect on the setting of new buildings - especially tall ones. I also imagine there a number of general planning considerations about appropriateness too.

So lots of ways to look after setting. More difficult would be arguing what makes a setting special in the first place.

cheers

ML

Protection of the Historic Environment - Cautionary Tale - 17th October 2005

Ta ML. I would suppose the issue in this case was that the 'setting' was too large to protect in the ways you describe. I doubt if either of us, let alone the whole archaeological community, could agree on what consitutes 'special', though I would venture that the 'specialness' of this buildings environment lay in the fact that it was practically isolated from Modern development (or so I recall the action groups soundbite). Regardless, cheers for the bits to chew over (I'm particularly interested in the protection of views, will do more reading).

Protection of the Historic Environment - Curator Kid - 17th October 2005

PPG15 (paragraphs 2.16 - 7) makes provision for the consideration and protection of the setting of a listed building within the planning process, and states that the setting should not be considered on too narrow a basis. The Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act makes no provision for the protection of a monument's setting, although the issue is a material consideration in the determination of planning applications in such an area.

This is rather a problem area to communicate with the wider community. Retaining the fabric of a specific site area or feature is often seen as being sufficient, whilst damaging its context is ignored (Thornborough Henges would be a good example of just such a debate going on at the moment). However, the question of just what the "setting" is, is massive. Building a housing estate right next door to a monument is a quite simple case to argue, but a telephone mast on the horizon that ruins the best view from, or of, an Iron Age hillfort, is a far different matter entirely. Archaeological Heritage Law by Neil Cookson gives a fairly digestible summary of some of the issues.

Protection of the Historic Environment - drpeterwardle - 17th October 2005

Setting of a listed building is defined in PPG 15 and is in fact fairly straight forward. I would also suggest that for most listing buildings it is in fact obviously what the setting is.

Peter Wardle

Protection of the Historic Environment - troll - 18th October 2005

I feel a rant in the parallel example of Thornborough Henges coming on.......Wink

Protection of the Historic Environment - Sith - 18th October 2005

Quote:quote:Originally posted by troll

I feel a rant in the parallel example of Thornborough Henges coming on.......Wink

Why? Straightforward question with a number of straight answers.

D. Vader
Senior Consultant

Vader Maull & Palpatine
Archaeological Consultants

We are the consultants you are looking for

Protection of the Historic Environment - Curator Kid - 18th October 2005

Quote:quote:Originally posted by drpeterwardle

Setting of a listed building is defined in PPG 15 and is in fact fairly straight forward. I would also suggest that for most listing buildings it is in fact obviously what the setting is.

Peter Wardle

I'm not sure I agree entirely that the setting is mostly obvious. Many of the rural sites in this area have been affected badly by development - not visually however, but by constant noise from the M25, which carries for miles across the landscape. Similarly, a few years ago I visited Binham Priory in Norfolk, which looks beautiful in photographs. However it was sited next door to a working Chicken farm which absolutely stank to high heaven. PPG15 sticks largely to the visual and physical aspects of development and doesn't specifically deal with these kinds of issues.

Protection of the Historic Environment - troll - 18th October 2005

Good mornin all. Sith- setting can/should be seen as an important consideration equal in resonance to that of the building itself. If you like, setting/environment is the context the building finds itself in. Thornborough issue is very similar in many ways to the issue raised by Barnsey.Context is everything..........Big Grin

Protection of the Historic Environment - drpeterwardle - 22nd October 2005

Quote:quote:Originally posted by Curator Kid

Many of the rural sites in this area have been affected badly by development - not visually however, but by constant noise from the M25, which carries for miles across the landscape. Similarly, a few years ago I visited Binham Priory in Norfolk, which looks beautiful in photographs. However it was sited next door to a working Chicken farm which absolutely stank to high heaven. PPG15 sticks largely to the visual and physical aspects of development and doesn't specifically deal with these kinds of issues.

Noise is a material considereation for conservation areas.

Peter

Protection of the Historic Environment - Tim - 25th October 2005

So is access to light.

Little Tim