The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined array key "avatartype" - Line: 783 - File: global.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 783 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined array key "avatartype" - Line: 783 - File: global.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 783 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined variable $awaitingusers - Line: 34 - File: global.php(844) : eval()'d code PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php(844) : eval()'d code 34 errorHandler->error
/global.php 844 eval
Warning [2] Undefined array key "style" - Line: 909 - File: global.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 909 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$lang_select_default - Line: 5010 - File: inc/functions.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions.php 5010 errorHandler->error
/global.php 909 build_theme_select
Warning [2] Undefined array key "additionalgroups" - Line: 7045 - File: inc/functions.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions.php 7045 errorHandler->error
/inc/functions.php 5030 is_member
/global.php 909 build_theme_select
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$archive_pages - Line: 2 - File: printthread.php(257) : eval()'d code PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php(257) : eval()'d code 2 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 257 eval
/printthread.php 117 printthread_multipage
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 160 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 160 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 165 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 165 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 160 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 165 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function

BAJR Federation Archaeology
Unit liability for employment offers - Printable Version

+- BAJR Federation Archaeology (http://www.bajrfed.co.uk)
+-- Forum: BAJR Federation Forums (http://www.bajrfed.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: The Site Hut (http://www.bajrfed.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Thread: Unit liability for employment offers (/showthread.php?tid=335)

Pages: 1 2

Unit liability for employment offers - BAJR Host - 25th November 2006

trowelfodder is right in that point...

It is bestter to say I may have rather than we do - until it is 100% certain. This is only fair. I could remind contractors of this when I send out the 2007 payscales and stuff.

"No job worth doing was ever done on time or under budget.."
Khufu

Unit liability for employment offers - drpeterwardle - 26th November 2006

I agree with that but on occassions there may be a firm start which gets put back for reasons beyond everybodies control.

Can we have a preview of the new pay rates and grades?

Peter

Unit liability for employment offers - BAJR Host - 26th November 2006

Soonn... my preciousessssssss..... I am waiting til after 5th Dec... (yes ... believe it or not... I am now a member of SCAUM) so I want to see where we are with support from SCAUM, Prospect and the IFA.

believe me.... you'll love em... anyhoo Dr Pete... you are alerady a gold star payer !

Khufu

Unit liability for employment offers - trowelfodder - 28th November 2006

Thank you mr hostly would be lovely if you could mention it to units. Thankx :face-stir:

Unit liability for employment offers - BAJR Host - 28th November 2006

Consder it done... after all - I will be contacting all of them anyway!

Khufu

Unit liability for employment offers - oldgirl - 29th November 2006

It's also important to point out that this sometimes happens the other way round. You have a site lined up and ready to go, staff employed, plant ordered, contracts issued (but not yet returned) when a key member of the team (Supervisor, PO etc) gets a 'better offer' and walks away the day before it starts..... now, if that job is then put on hold, is it the units fault? Or the individual?

Unit liability for employment offers - BAJR Host - 29th November 2006

Sounds like it could happen.... but very very infrequently. Where the chances of an individual having two competing job offers that they can pick from for two separate jobs that have not happened yet, but they agree to do both... slim... but not impossible. And if the contract has not been signed.... (am I not right in thinking that a contract becomes valid on the day of posting... works in reverse as well... if a contract is sent and then while in the post... the contract is removed) Is there a lawyer in the house?

Khufu

Unit liability for employment offers - 1man1desk - 29th November 2006

I have been in that position, both as the culprit (a long time ago) and the victim (more recently), so it really does happen. I think it is part of the reality of employing people, and it happens in all professions - we had one recently in my office, where a new employee (not an archaeologist) just didn't turn up on their scheduled start day; a bit of phoning round discovered them starting another job somewhere else the same day.

I don't think that there is a lot you can do about it, especially if the contract letter has not yet been signed and returned.

1man1desk

to let, fully furnished

Unit liability for employment offers - the invisible man - 29th November 2006

There is not much in practice that an employer (or would-be employer!) can do about an individual who reneges on an agreement to commence employment, or indeed an existing employee who walks out, perhaps refusing to honour a notice period. This is basically because nobody can be obliged to work for another (tantamount to slavery). In theory the injured party (the employer) can sue the individual under contract law but it's nigh impossible to show loss, or worth the expense/effort. In some cases the employer can sue the "other" employer but this tends to apply to footballers and managers.

I stand to be corrected but I believe this to be the case not so long ago, but employment law (as oppsed to contract law) changes twice nightly these days.

Yes, a (written) contract exists from the moment of posting (or it did when I studied it an unspecified number of years ago).

We owe the dead nothing but the truth.