The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined array key "avatartype" - Line: 783 - File: global.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 783 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined array key "avatartype" - Line: 783 - File: global.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 783 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined variable $awaitingusers - Line: 34 - File: global.php(844) : eval()'d code PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php(844) : eval()'d code 34 errorHandler->error
/global.php 844 eval
Warning [2] Undefined array key "style" - Line: 909 - File: global.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 909 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$lang_select_default - Line: 5010 - File: inc/functions.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions.php 5010 errorHandler->error
/global.php 909 build_theme_select
Warning [2] Undefined array key "additionalgroups" - Line: 7045 - File: inc/functions.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions.php 7045 errorHandler->error
/inc/functions.php 5030 is_member
/global.php 909 build_theme_select
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$archive_pages - Line: 2 - File: printthread.php(257) : eval()'d code PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php(257) : eval()'d code 2 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 257 eval
/printthread.php 117 printthread_multipage
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 160 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 160 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 165 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 165 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "fragment" - Line: 1326 - File: inc/class_parser.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_parser.php 1326 errorHandler->error
/inc/class_parser.php 1448 postParser->mycode_parse_video
[PHP]   postParser->mycode_parse_video_callback
/inc/class_parser.php 499 preg_replace_callback
/inc/class_parser.php 187 postParser->parse_mycode
/printthread.php 179 postParser->parse_message
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 160 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 165 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function

BAJR Federation Archaeology
Compasses for Archaeologists - Printable Version

+- BAJR Federation Archaeology (http://www.bajrfed.co.uk)
+-- Forum: BAJR Federation Forums (http://www.bajrfed.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: The Site Hut (http://www.bajrfed.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Thread: Compasses for Archaeologists (/showthread.php?tid=3235)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Compasses for Archaeologists - BAJR - 30th June 2010

Another infomercial from a David Connolly of Past Horizons/BAJR
Three compasses are showcased and explained in this er... fascinating short video

No really it is!

[video=youtube;EZazqw8cXns]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EZazqw8cXns[/video]

Only from Past Horizons Archaeologists Toolstore - thee archaeologists choice
Professional Sighting Compass
http://www.pasthorizons.com/shop/index.php?route=product/product&path=35&product_id=142
Baseplate Compass
http://www.pasthorizons.com/shop/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=139
Ball Compass
http://www.pasthorizons.com/shop/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=143

Compasses for Archaeologists - deadlylampshade - 30th June 2010

They should name a rose after you...

Does the sighting compass need calibrating and if so, how often?

No ... it is a non electronic one.. other than the standard: (but then you will know all about this... Wink )
Calibrating your Compass for Magnetic Declination

Different areas on the globe have a different magnetic declination which is basically the difference between magnetic north (where your Compass will point to) and true north (the direction where north really is). There is a difference because the magnetic north pole lies about 1000 miles below the true north pole. So the declination differs per location on the globe. In general, the further north you go, the bigger the declination becomes.

Hence the question...subtention and all that with the .5 mil accuracy you were so kind to emphasise...Do you remember prismatic compases and the error charts on the bottom right of OS maps...those were the days. MUCH more fun than a GPS and I have never had an OS map answer me back}Smile

Nice bit of kit. I like shiney things...may have to revamp my dig box

(yes, after 20 years I still have my box...plumb bob still in there, 6H pencils, multi-scaled steel ruler and ...wait for it...a slide rule!!! Can't remember why I would have that.:face-thinksSmile

Compasses for Archaeologists - thalinor - 30th June 2010

Have just ordered the mid range compass and a host of other goodies. I like shiny things too and need to replenish my toolbox. Will post what i think of compass when I get it and use it.

:face-approve:

Ooh...thank you...can I be nosey and ask what the other goodies were? Or shall I just stop being idle and look at the site myself...I need a left handed trowel for August...

Compasses for Archaeologists - thalinor - 30th June 2010

A waterproof notebook and rotring pencil with extra special leads! And something else...

:face-thinks:

Might be an idea to look at the site yourself deadly! Big Grin

Ta. I will.

oh shit... I'm off... Wink

I'll make sure you get a perfect one!

nah... just kidding... I spent over a year trying out compass after compass... I mean it... ! I had a desk piled high.... and boy were there some turkeys. I had a cracking phone call from one supplier...

WHY YOU BUY !!!

er.. because you are a wholesaler...

OH... OK!!! GOODBYE

tell you what though... when I say I have tested... you really know I have... !

The ball compass I love to bits! love it! love it love it! when I was in Venice on the way back from Croatia it guided me round the streets .. and in croatia it made sure I knew which way I was facing for photos.. then in Culross, I just pinned it to my breeks for doing elevations on a building record.

Horses for courses.... So I look forward to hearing what you think.... we are soom off to a dive site where they are going to test it at depth.. thats where an oil filled compass matters.

BUT.. kost of all... THANK YOU :face-kiss:

Compasses for Archaeologists - mpoole - 30th June 2010

It's not a compass, but I treasure my Crime Scene Investigation photo scale. http://www.pasthorizons.com/shop/index.php?route=product/product&path=36&product_id=123 It's just a great feeling to photograph things using it, even if the cool logo is on the back. And the Rotring pens. The delivery was extremely fast and everything was very carefully packaged. Can't fault the customer service.