The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined array key "avatartype" - Line: 783 - File: global.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 783 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined array key "avatartype" - Line: 783 - File: global.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 783 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined variable $awaitingusers - Line: 34 - File: global.php(844) : eval()'d code PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php(844) : eval()'d code 34 errorHandler->error
/global.php 844 eval
Warning [2] Undefined array key "style" - Line: 909 - File: global.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 909 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$lang_select_default - Line: 5010 - File: inc/functions.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions.php 5010 errorHandler->error
/global.php 909 build_theme_select
Warning [2] Undefined array key "additionalgroups" - Line: 7045 - File: inc/functions.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions.php 7045 errorHandler->error
/inc/functions.php 5030 is_member
/global.php 909 build_theme_select
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$archive_pages - Line: 2 - File: printthread.php(257) : eval()'d code PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php(257) : eval()'d code 2 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 257 eval
/printthread.php 117 printthread_multipage
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 160 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 160 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 165 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 165 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 160 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 165 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key 1 - Line: 801 - File: inc/class_parser.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_parser.php 801 errorHandler->error
/inc/class_parser.php 866 postParser->mycode_parse_post_quotes
[PHP]   postParser->mycode_parse_post_quotes_callback1
/inc/class_parser.php 751 preg_replace_callback
/inc/class_parser.php 431 postParser->mycode_parse_quotes
/inc/class_parser.php 187 postParser->parse_mycode
/printthread.php 179 postParser->parse_message
Warning [2] Undefined array key 1 - Line: 820 - File: inc/class_parser.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_parser.php 820 errorHandler->error
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key 1 - Line: 801 - File: inc/class_parser.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_parser.php 801 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key 1 - Line: 820 - File: inc/class_parser.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_parser.php 820 errorHandler->error

BAJR Federation Archaeology
OS and Google map images side by side.. a dream! - Printable Version

+- BAJR Federation Archaeology (http://www.bajrfed.co.uk)
+-- Forum: BAJR Federation Forums (http://www.bajrfed.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: The Site Hut (http://www.bajrfed.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Thread: OS and Google map images side by side.. a dream! (/showthread.php?tid=3194)

Pages: 1 2

OS and Google map images side by side.. a dream! - BAJR - 15th June 2010

OS and Google map images side by side.. a dream!

http://wtp2.appspot.com/wheresthepath.htm

Free Ordnance Survey Mapping side by side with Google Aerial Imagery for UK Outdoor Pursuits.

1:25000s and also out of copyright 1940s OS with a googlemap on the split screen. - yum! even gives you precise coords in OS and latitude format... mark up the map and download as a kmz OR gpx format.

This has got to be a must have tool for archaeology - locate, relocate, compare... track... then ground truth! Excellent locational device... how often have you cursed that Googlemaps did not match with OS NGRs! or you could not work out why the woodland on teh map was not there on the ground... etc... hundreds of applications,!

(Ground Truthing is my fave word of the moment.)

This spanking new resource was highlighted by a very kind detectorist... so thanks for sharing.

OS and Google map images side by side.. a dream! - Comarch - 15th June 2010

This is fecking incredible!

OS and Google map images side by side.. a dream! - Wax - 15th June 2010

Tasty very very tasty

OS and Google map images side by side.. a dream! - deadlylampshade - 15th June 2010

Erm...is it just me who can't get google earth to play without lots of blocking warnings?

I admit that it is going to be a huge help, but you can't beat basic, good map reading skills.

What is in front of you is the ground truth, and it ain't going to change because the computer may say something different (cast your mind back to stories of GPS taking numpties in 44ft articulated lorries through the pretty little (narrow) villages in Devon and the Costwolds)

...eyes first, then technology to inform...

Ah map reading skills or rather the lack of (there's another topic)

Does anyone actually teach archaeology students to read OS maps?
How many of you know what all the symbols on every series of OS mapping mean?:face-stir:
You would be surprised at the number of people who do not look at the map key or even know there is one.

OS and Google map images side by side.. a dream! - deadlylampshade - 15th June 2010

Or simple intervisibilty...or which way up the "hill/valley" is LOL!! (If people did know this perhaps they could work out why their mobile phones don't work and wifi is a no-no!!)

Do I assume, then Wax, that the prismatic compass and the calculating of Magnetic north is also a thing of mystical wisdom??

Long time since I have done it but I at least know what you are talking about.

I have recently been very depressed by the lack of understanding some arcahologists have of maps and how to use them. All the fancy gizmos in the world will not help on a moor when the mist comes down and your batteries run out.

Still there are lots of keen walkers out here who have the knowledge, it is a shame that some of the basics do not appear to be part of university courses in archaeology (I may be wrong there, please tell me I am)

Wax Wrote:All the fancy gizmos in the world will not help on a moor when the mist comes down and your batteries run out.

Still there are lots of keen walkers out here who have the knowledge, it is a shame that some of the basics do not appear to be part of university courses in archaeology (I may be wrong there, please tell me I am)

How right you are. It isn't exactly a very difficult skill to learn and it is easy to practice...

Bit like aerial photography after a good dry spell...you don't really need a satellite!

This is not to knock the huge step forward in what "Where's the Path" is and it's undoubted use. But is should be seen as another tool in the box to be used to assist queries, not replace common sense.

(Right, off to the bar...I sound distressingly like an Old Fogey...hope there is some Laphroaig left!)

OS and Google map images side by side.. a dream! - BAJR - 15th June 2010

Lots there... and true you can't beat reading a map... indeed I will be teaching it at a fieldschool in August.. this has uses.. adn as deadly says it is a tool.. another tool in an array. but like the comments about using supper accurate GPS for survey... you have to know the basis first!

I am using it to create routes for me. out on the lammermuir hills.. all heather and hard to get your bearings exactly.. this takes me right to the site.

Ground truth is whats there though.. quite agree.. now.. for me... its a glass of the red please..
oh.... make that two!

OS and Google map images side by side.. a dream! - Sith - 16th June 2010

deadlylampshade Wrote:Or simple intervisibilty...or which way up the "hill/valley" is LOL!! (If people did know this perhaps they could work out why their mobile phones don't work and wifi is a no-no!!)

Hmm, there's a bone army signals acronym/mnemonic for that: SUD - Siting, 'Up' antennae, Direct line of sight.

As a cartographic aside, am I the only person who bemoans the dumbing down of Landranger maps by the replacement of the old letter labels with icons (e.g. a pint pot for the earlier 'PH')