The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined array key "avatartype" - Line: 783 - File: global.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 783 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined array key "avatartype" - Line: 783 - File: global.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 783 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined variable $awaitingusers - Line: 34 - File: global.php(844) : eval()'d code PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php(844) : eval()'d code 34 errorHandler->error
/global.php 844 eval
Warning [2] Undefined array key "style" - Line: 909 - File: global.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 909 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$lang_select_default - Line: 5010 - File: inc/functions.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions.php 5010 errorHandler->error
/global.php 909 build_theme_select
Warning [2] Undefined array key "additionalgroups" - Line: 7045 - File: inc/functions.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions.php 7045 errorHandler->error
/inc/functions.php 5030 is_member
/global.php 909 build_theme_select
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$archive_pages - Line: 2 - File: printthread.php(257) : eval()'d code PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php(257) : eval()'d code 2 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 257 eval
/printthread.php 117 printthread_multipage
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 160 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 160 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 165 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 165 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 160 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 165 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function

BAJR Federation Archaeology
Edinburgh museum - Printable Version

+- BAJR Federation Archaeology (http://www.bajrfed.co.uk)
+-- Forum: BAJR Federation Forums (http://www.bajrfed.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: The Site Hut (http://www.bajrfed.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Thread: Edinburgh museum (/showthread.php?tid=319)

Pages: 1 2

Edinburgh museum - troll - 2nd November 2006

Was lucky enough to go to poca 2006 conference in Edinburgh and had the chance to do t`museum. A really stunning building literally packed from top to bottom in goodies. Really well laid out and some innovative and thought-provoking ways of displaying finds too. A really effective bit on the Geology of Scotland (my first time!) was really useful and plenty interesting too. Some of the early metalwork and some of the lithics had us picking our jaws up off the floor and banging yer head on the glass while trying to get a closer look was`nt uncommon.An enormous museum and with plenty fer the kids to be gettin on with too.Well worth a visit but put aside a day to enable a good drool.Big Grin Tiz free to get in and the staff are all smiley and nice taboot.

..knowledge without action is insanity and action without knowledge is vanity..(imam ghazali,ayyuhal-walad)

Edinburgh museum - BAJR Host - 2nd November 2006

All that was missing was me.... sorry troll and Sniper... Wink)

Glad you enjoyed the place... next time...

"No job worth doing was ever done on time or under budget.."
Khufu

Edinburgh museum - troll - 2nd November 2006

Twas a mobile phone failure sire! Please dont be sorry-have every intention of going back again-perhaps when it is`nt so rainlike. Timings of the conference and impending flights compounded the issue so next time, halal haggis and deep-fried battered pizza shall be hunted verily.Big Grin

..knowledge without action is insanity and action without knowledge is vanity..(imam ghazali,ayyuhal-walad)

Edinburgh museum - Digger - 2nd November 2006

Can likewise recommend Edinburgh museum. Also National Museum in Dublin. I also have it on good authority that taking your good lady to view an entire floor cramed with prehistoric gold tends to have a strange but rather pleasent effect upon them. (seriously!)

Edinburgh museum - lucy78green - 17th November 2006

I went to the National Museum in Dublin two weeks ago, didn't notice any cybermen - maybe they have improved it! I'd never been before as I never seem to have any free time when I am in Dublin but I just had to see the Bog Bodies exhibition- the museum is only open for three hours on sunday so I never made it as far as the viking unfortunately

Lucy

Edinburgh museum - kevin wooldridge - 17th November 2006

I like the scale and the scope of the National Museum in Dublin. Not only do they have all of that prehistoric gold and the bog bodies on display, but in the section on the Anglo Irish War they have the bus tickets that various occupiers of the Post Office bought on the way to their date with destiny, Easter 1916. That's perspective!!

Edinburgh museum - the invisible man - 18th November 2006

Back to Edinburgh - there are two museums, I presume we are talking about the NMS, as opposed to the Ryal down the road?

The NMS is indeed excellent, and such nice people too. They were really helpful and bent over backwards to help me with a piece of work 6 or 7 years ago, plied me with coffee, provided taxis to whisk me to their storage building, fetched out crumbling bronze shields for me to ogle, showed me X-rays and all sorts of things. All for a humble single celled amoeba of a diploma student.

Can't speak too highly of them.

We owe the dead nothing but the truth.

Edinburgh museum - Sith - 24th November 2006

My favourite bit of the National Museum of Ireland is the secret door that takes you to the Topographic Files. You always get double-takes from museum visitors when you emerge from between a copuple of display cases.

D. Vader
Senior Consultant

Vader Maull & Palpatine
Archaeological Consultants

WSIs do not concern me, Curator. I want that site, not excuses

Edinburgh museum - troll - 25th November 2006

Twas the NMS and the Royal (same building)-blew us away.Some of the most amazing stuff to be found anywhere but whatever you do, put at least a whole day asideBig GrinP.S, spotted what looked like sheeps nads in cream in a cafe...whats a "stovey" when its at home?Big Grin

Edinburgh museum - disheartened - 28th November 2006

I always like the egyptology room in Dublin Smile, they have sand filled cases in the floor with half buried pottery, and funky lights to make the room (up a little winding stair) look cool.
And the logboat which is hanging off the left wall of the ground floor, they have pictures of when it was installed with a jcb back in the dark ages of the fifies or sixties...
And the new bog-bodies exhibition, very funky.
And the medieval exhibition.
And the natural history museum on Merrion square, it's a museum piece itself...
I like museums!