The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined array key "avatartype" - Line: 783 - File: global.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 783 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined array key "avatartype" - Line: 783 - File: global.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 783 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined variable $awaitingusers - Line: 34 - File: global.php(844) : eval()'d code PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php(844) : eval()'d code 34 errorHandler->error
/global.php 844 eval
Warning [2] Undefined array key "style" - Line: 909 - File: global.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 909 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$lang_select_default - Line: 5010 - File: inc/functions.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions.php 5010 errorHandler->error
/global.php 909 build_theme_select
Warning [2] Undefined array key "additionalgroups" - Line: 7045 - File: inc/functions.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions.php 7045 errorHandler->error
/inc/functions.php 5030 is_member
/global.php 909 build_theme_select
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 160 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 160 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 165 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 165 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 160 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 165 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function

BAJR Federation Archaeology
Chester and making archaeology accessible - Printable Version

+- BAJR Federation Archaeology (http://www.bajrfed.co.uk)
+-- Forum: BAJR Federation Forums (http://www.bajrfed.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: The Site Hut (http://www.bajrfed.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Thread: Chester and making archaeology accessible (/showthread.php?tid=3189)

Chester and making archaeology accessible - mpoole - 13th June 2010

We spent part of the day today at the Roman Days in Chester and wanted to say how much we enjoyed the displays by Chester Archaeology. We watched as the archaeologists talked to people, allowed them to handle objects and discussed the history of Chester with interested people. We had the opportunity to handle two of the Roman beads on display, and had a chat with one of the archaeologists about beads and were given some resource information that was much appreciated.

It was an excellent experience enjoyed by a lot of the public, judging by the expressions on the faces of the people being allowed to handle pieces of pottery and tile. Sometimes a very simple thing like this gives a chance for people to understand that archaeology is neither all Indiana Jones or Bonek(n)ickers, it's about being in touch with history and being allowed to touch it rather than staring at it behind glass, or seeing an interactive video display.

I did give the bead back. Eventually.

Chester and making archaeology accessible - BAJR - 13th June 2010

Quote: We had the opportunity to handle two of the Roman beads on display,

and er... your love of the site had nothing to do with that bribery!

Quote:the expressions on the faces of the people being allowed to handle pieces of pottery and tile.

You should see mine!

But seriously, thats it... it does not have to be gold or treasures of the ancients, it just has to be a piece of pottery backed up with a passionate archaeologist... willing to fill the sherd or bone with history! and not a case in site.

nice one - and glad you gave the bead back!
http://www.chesterfestivals.co.uk/site/chestival/chestival-whats-on/roman-weekend-chestival-12th-13th-june-2010-p116451 was that this.

Quote:Hundred’s of legionaries in full armour marching through the city – an unparalleled photo opportunity
so er... did you??

Chester and making archaeology accessible - mpoole - 13th June 2010

Quote:and er... your love of the site had nothing to do with that bribery!

I didn't bribe them, the beads were on the table, honest! I admit I did hand the nice archaeologist a little blue bicone bead as a thank-you. I think I did surprise her by trying to see the colour of the blue bead by holding it up to the light to see if it was a transparent glass. I'll remember to bring my Maglite next time!

Quote:You should see mine!
Ha ha.(resists comments about mullets) Actually, it was the expression on the faces of people who had the chance to hold a piece of tile. They had one with a cat's pawprint in it. it really made a connection for the person handling it, makes it somehow more real to have that sort of detail. The archaeologists had very happy expressions, no gritted teeth and anxious looks at people touching the precious things.

Quote:But seriously, thats it... it does not have to be gold or treasures of the ancients, it just has to be a piece of pottery backed up with a passionate archaeologist... willing to fill the sherd or bone with history! and not a case in site.

nice one - and glad you gave the bead back!
I think she was watching me, just in case. Still, it was an excellent experience.

Quote:http://www.chesterfestivals.co.uk/site/chestival/chestival-whats-on/roman-weekend-chestival-12th-13th-june-2010-p116451 was that this.

so er... did you??
Yup, it was, and did I what? Photograph them? Yes, but I resisted removing the extraneous apostrophe from the publicity frippery.

Besides, my heart belongs to York. Chester was just a mild flirtation.